Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Kivex posted:

WEB DESIGNERS

I'm building my folio and a lot of what I want to do revolves around transparent images...

I say go for it. If you can create some sort of fallback, that would be a bonus.

You obviously get that it's an issue and if it were brought up during an interview (somewhat likely for a developer position), you'd be able to explain the ins and outs of pngs on the web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Ringo R posted:

Selecting a shape and enlarging it in Illustrator messes up the shape. I want to find the equivalent of the expand function in Illustrator.

Object > Path > Offset Stroke

If you wanted to smooth the transition between the ocean and sand, I'd copy the ocean shape, delete all points except for the shoreline where the two meet, change the fill to a stroke of your desired width, blur it and place it above the ocean and sand. Alternatively, you can also tweak the gradient fill of the ocean and find a nice in-between color and place it at the very end of the gradient.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Pibborando San posted:

Typography question. We're recreating a local store front in Maya for my Intro to 3D Modeling class and I'm basically done except for the address and logo on the front. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to what fonts these might be. None of the standard Windows fonts match either of them. I suppose I could design them myself if need be but I thought I'd try here first.

Futura will get you close to the "Moule" font.
http://new.myfonts.com/search/futura/fonts/

Bodoni will also get you close to the address numbers.
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/bodoni-1/

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Shaocaholica posted:

The thing is, whatever engine AFX is using to render the flash file is rendering the vector art 'too' sharp so any zooming/scaling (in flash) results in buzzing on bitmaps and aliasing on high frequency vectors.

What's the workflow here? I get that the animation was made in AE and now it's playing back in Flash. How is it getting from AE to Flash (conversion settings, format, etc)?

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Pepsi-Tan posted:

is line drawing take seriously as an artform?
could i take this anywhere, possibly abstract art?

I always felt that art is whatever you make of it. I wouldn't be concerned if there is a pre-existing niche for this. Just create good work and the rest should take care of itself.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Shaocaholica posted:

Its the other way around...

Can you bring it into AE in a format other than a SWF?

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best way to avoid pixelation on large typography in Illustrator? I'm trying to draw a header using 120+pt Helvetica and it's almost always pixelated. Is there something I'm missing? I've got AA turned on in Preferences and I'm interlacing my exports. Is this just the way it is? Any best practices?

e: For reference, http://imgur.com/cNtoS

Do you have "matte" color set when you're saving out that PNG? Looks like you do from the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Duxwig posted:

Need some help with some laminating of a DIY scrapbook!

At a previous job I had to laminate some oversized pieces. I ended up going to a Teaching Supply store (this one was called Lakeshore) and they had a decent-sized laminator that you operated yourself. You paid for the length that you use. I remember it being pretty cheap.