Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

An appropriate response to reality

Dvega posted:

How do I get over the anxiety of doing art. I used to draw and write all the time. I wasn't any good at it but I at least had fun doing it. Nowadays it takes me the greater part of a day to get myself "psyched up" to draw, but by that time I'm so tense and my mind is so consumed with the thought of failure that I have no choice but to fail.

I really just have no idea what to do. :sigh:

I know exactly what you mean. I'd been struggling with it for months until about a week ago, when I inexplicably started churning out a bunch of really stupid drawings and feeling lovely about it until I started having a good time and the drawings actually started getting better. You can't exactly force yourself to enjoy drawing, especially if you're doing it only because you feel like you "should" or you only want the satisfaction of the complete product, but you'll NEVER get any drawing euphoria if you don't spend some time working through the frustration and self-loathing and whatnot, ya know?

I don't have any real advice other than to commit to finishing a drawing once you start it no matter how awful and soulless it feels. Take breaks if you need to. Show it to people who don't know poo poo about art and they're bound to be legitimately wowed or at least flatter you, and that helps a little. Look at it a few hours/days after you're done and you're bound to find some merit. I have tons of pages where I'd just get frustrated and have a bunch of ugly unfinished doodles and "STUPID STUPID STUPID GAY NO TALENT WHATSOEVER WASTE OF INK TERRIBLE AWFUL" written all over the place, and they're pretty funny in retrospect.

Also, drugs and/or cognitive behavioral therapy might help!

Anyway, I have a question about Wacoms. I'm thinking about buying a 9x12 Intuos 3, but I'm kind of wondering if it will have any advantage over, say, a 6x8 or 6x11 if I'm using a 15.4" widescreen laptop. Would using the wider 6x11 feel more natural than the 9x12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU