Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Illustrator question:

I'm making a map of a beach in Illustrator. I want to make a smooth transition from beach to ocean with a stroke along the shore but don't know how to do it. In Photoshop, I'd to it like this:

1. Select beach with magic wand tool.
2. Select / modify / expand (10px)
3. Fill selection with white, blur it and put it between ocean and beach layer.

Selecting a shape and enlarging it in Illustrator messes up the shape. I want to find the equivalent of the expand function in Illustrator.

I've attached a quick example of what I want made with Photoshop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

lostatsea posted:

Object > Path > Offset Stroke

I love you.

Edit: Ok, what's going on here?

I've just used Effect / blur / gaussian blur. There are no shapes that are in the way. The only reason I can think of is that it's a fairly large map and my computer just couldn't handle the blurring or something.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 18, 2009

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hey guys, I'm making a small photobook for myself, just for fun. It's going to be 6x8. I have a few blurbs to go with it. Will 9pt size font still be fairly easy to read? It's kind of hard to tell in the software with the distortion when viewed at 100%. As I said earlier, it's meant mainly for myself so I'm not worried about people with poor eyesight not being able to read it. Also I've been told to make the images 300dpi. They come out from my camera as 240dpi but all of them gets scaled down a lot to fit the 6x8 format. Will I be alright leaving them at 240dpi?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm having a print shop doing the printing. They specialize in photobooks. Didn't even think about printing out a test page because I don't have a printer, heh. I guess I can check text legibility if I just print out at page at any internet shop but won't be able to see image quality of course.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Mr.Tophat posted:

I'm about to embark on a project with a few other artists concerning the topic of space. I know that a Goon Project was successful in the Creative Convention about the subject, and I was wondering if anyone could link me with the project at all. I was eventually sold in small numbers, and had the collected works on the theme by various artists, poets, and writers. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I would love to see it again, and I think it would help me with my own project for inspiration and seeing what other people have done on the topic.

Yeah, it was run by Shakra

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Sorry this is unrelated but I don't want to make a new thread in SHSC or something. Mozilla Thunderbird - I accidentally archived all my emails in my inbox. How do I get them back? I can still see them in "All Mail" but it's mixed with my sent mail which is annoying. All I can find on google is how to archive the mail, not how to "unarchive" it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
If you could post some of his work we could probably give you an estimate on how long it should take.