Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Skunkrocker posted:

I'm writing a script because I'm one of those lovely people who thinks he can catapult his way into a life of luxury (read: not having to borrow ten bucks for gas) by just not being the Big Bang Theory guy.

Okay, self deprecation out of the way, I'm using Google Docs so I can send updates to friends to get their input but I'm getting really annoyed that every time I center my text for the script I also have to reset my left and right indent and vice versa. I tried to add the indents to a heading so I can just keyboard shortcut it, but that doesn't work. Any advice?

Is there any particular reason you're using Google Docs? I'd suggest getting a program specifically designed for screenwriting because the time you spend loving around with formatting is time you're not spending on writing. Final Draft is the industry standard, it's kind of expensive but it gets discounted sometimes and has student rates. If you want free, Celtx has been the standard for that, although I haven't really used it since it went web-based only. You can still find the old desktop installer around if you look. Only problem with Celtx is that you have to be connected to the Internet to use the PDF exporter. There's more out there, too--I forget what it's called (Writer Duo? Duo Writer? Something like that) but one is a newer web-based one that's designed around collaboration if that's what you need from GDocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

GobiasIndustries posted:

Newbie Adobe Premiere (2017, OSX) question: I have a long video that I used to create several individual clips, all using the same assets. Since I was new at it I initially clipped just the segments I wanted one at a time and saved them all as their own project since I didn't realize that projects just linked assets rather than copying them all into one single file.
So the question is: can I somehow take those clipped segments and put them into a single new project with the full length original video? I did no modifications to the underlying track in any of the clips, it'd just be moving the extra video layers in to the appropriate timeframes.

i'm not sure i'm following you, but i think the answer is yes? mostly i don't think i'm clear on the way you're using the terminology or what exactly you're trying to do.

if you have multiple .prproj files, each with their own sequence in which you have a clip from the main video, you can import those into your main .prproj file. doing so causes the main project file to absorb any assets (sequences, bins, linked video files, etc) from the imported project file. since you would have imported your main video file into each project seperately, you'll likely end up with multiple copies of that main video in various bins of your main project file, but that shouldn't matter too much unless you hate a messy project file.

i'm not sure what your end goal is, though. you're trying to add clips from the video to the video? or you split the video into pieces and are trying to recombine it?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ahhh, i think i gotcha. if you import all those other project files into a single master one, then you can get rid of the other project files. safest option (especially since there's still a chance we're miscommunicating something), stick them in a folder somewhere—i generally just put an "imported" folder in the autosave folder or something. then you can work on everything all in one place.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

is it something you can do in after effects using assets you create in photoshop? i don't do a ton of animated gifs, but i've found that a lot easier than working with photoshop's timeline. media encoder lets you export from ae to gif, although i don't know how well it's optimized.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ohhh, yeah, that makes sense, those seem like they would be much easier in photoshop.

but if you ever need it, it's actually way easier to transfer stuff from photoshop to ae than it used to be so you don't need the "appropriate non-JPG format" step! i do a lot of color correction/editing/setting up the digital equivalent of cel layers in photoshop/illustrator and then just importing the psd/ai into ae for animation. you can import as a composition so all your layers are stacked properly and ready for keyframing. it even propagates changes from the other programs into ae (up to a point—you have to reimport if you add new layers) so i'll frequently mask an object out of a white background in photoshop and then tweak the psd once i see what it looks like on my ae background.

which doesn't seem that helpful for your examples, but might be useful someday for something else!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

easiest way is to apply a bevel/emboss layer style to the image. if you play with the sliders you'll be able to dial in the angle and whatnot to get that slim highlight on top and subtle border all around.

alternately, add a layer on top, fill it with a white-to-tranparent gradient, and then reduce that layer's opacity till it looks right. you'll also need to add a drop shadow to the flag that's close with a bit of spread. it won't be exactly the same, but it'll be close.

that should get you the results you want, but if you need more detailed steps, we'd have to know what program you use. i really only know photoshop, unfortunately, so i'm not sure about gimp or paintnet or anything

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ah, gotcha! i don't know of any browser based image editors, but gimp is free so i think that's probably your best bet. i googled it, and it looks like you may need to download a plugin to enable bevel & emboss, but if you just look up "gimp layer styles" or "gimp bevel emboss" there should be instructions for how to get it up and running. sorry i can't be more help, i haven't used gimp in 15 years so i'm just as lost as you beyond that :v:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

simplest version of the answer is: figure out what's in the 30 minute video that you don't want in the 3 minute video and get rid of that.

long answer needs more information: what footage do you have and what are you trying to turn it into? is the 30 minute video a single continuous shot? is it a bunch of shots already cut together? if it's a music video, then do you already have the 3 minutes of audio selected? is the video synced to the music as in a live performance, or is it imagery that's not dependent on timing? a lot of your approach is going to depend on the limitations of the material you have.

if it's already filmed, you probably don't need storyboards, though. those are more for previzualizing the edit so that you know what you need to shoot. beyond that, we need a better idea of what you're working with and toward.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

RandomPauI posted:

The video source material is a 1970's Dutch documentary about kids not having anywhere to play. There are scenes of the community, of the kids trying to get petitions signed, of kids playing in trash-filled lots, kids stomping on a wrecked car, adults getting into fights, classroom scenes, and scenes of adults at meetings.

The audio source material is a style-parody of an 80s pop song. The lead singer is really excited to hear a baseball game on Dutch radio.

in that case, i think my approach would be to split up and organize the documentary based on shots and content, and while doing so trying to think of a way to tell that baseball story with the images you have. the documentary has a story of its own already, so you can figure out the major beats of that story, and how you can map those to your story. you might even be able to go through chronologically—is there a particular kid that keeps showing up in the video that you could turn into your main character? maybe keep all the stuff of that kid, and set aside any scenes without them (knowing that you might go back and fill stuff in using some of those shots).

try picking three or four spots in your song where you want a story beat to land and placing stuff in there—even as simple as "kid sad about lot, kid thinking at school, kid getting petition, now lot is good and kids are happy." jump to halfway between those spots and put in something that gets you from A to B, then go halfway between each of those and so on until you have the whole thing roughed out. from there you can go in and do a fine cut where you really match it up to the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

VorpalBunny posted:

Any LA area goons with an idea where to start?

not from LA, but i imagine there's gotta be storyboarding classes of some sort? you might run into the same problem of classes not being directed young enough, but that was the first thing i thought of in terms of skills to translate a story to visuals on a page.