Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowf
Sep 11, 2001
I just launched a blog with a custom Wordpress theme I created from scratch. A couple people have commented that they like the boldness of my post titles, but they could still look better. Can anyone suggest something that would make them look better (or confirm that they're okay)? Website: http://www.keetee.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowf
Sep 11, 2001

Kivex posted:

I'm building my folio and a lot of what I want to do revolves around transparent images. Sure, it'll f*ck out in IE6, but should I be giving a crap? Will people who are potential employers look down upon this at all?

Since it's your portfolio, I'd avoid not designing for IE6. As much as we hate that browser it's still too common to ignore. Design company employers might run your work through browsershots and think you lack browser-compatibility knowledge when they see IE6 turn up bad. And, of course, some potential employers will still be using IE6. I just wouldn't take the chance.

You could always use an IE6 hack and use image alternatives or try the forementioned JS thing. Also, don't forget you can specify a matte for your PNGS that will display in IE6.

Meowf
Sep 11, 2001

gmc9987 posted:

It's a nice look, but that shade of read is really tough on the eyes.

I've pulled down the size of the headlines a little to lessen to amount of red, but I'm afraid the theme began with that color scheme in mind; while it may look nice without, I'm afraid it would not resemble my original vision if I removed it. I did try to find another color at your suggestion, but I just couldn't find anything with the same impact. When you say it hurts your eyes, is that just an aesthetic thing, or are you having issues with readability? (At least it's not cyan!)

gmc9987 posted:

Also, maybe increase the padding a bit on the headlines, so the text doesn't bump up quite so close to the edges of the red.

I absolutely agree with this point, but since it's an inline element I'm not sure about a fix. I'm trying to find some help over at freelanceswitch on that, but I really, really don't want to turn it into a block element and have a big red box hovering over each of my posts. I'll see what I can do...

gmc9987 posted:

It looks interesting, I went ahead and bookmarked it.

I just started out so little things like this mean a lot. THANK YOU! :)

(Update) Actually, I can just post that padding question here. New question!:

Take a look at my entry headlines here: http://www.keetee.com/

I like the red highlight effect, but it would be ideal if there was a little space between the start and end of each line and the contained text. Since it's an inline element (a tag), padding the left and right will just make it look lopsided if it's more than one line. If I turn it into a block element, I lose my aesthetic. Any fixes? Thanks.

Meowf fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 27, 2009