Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

VarangianSam posted:

because I don't know genres that well :ssh:

Where do you get your music? I have never seen a record store or online store or digital distribution site that didnt organize by genre. Just pay attention to what it lists and eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

jonmitz posted:

:siren:Hey guys, I guess you all missed the part in the OP where it says to not post in this thread to update your entry on the list, instead to email me or PM (preferred). There are a lot of posts that are contentless (you can add your info when you post a mix but dont add a post with nothing but info about yourself) because you ignored this rule, so please stop doing it:siren:

I object to you classifying Denver as a "non-major" city :colbert:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

vanilla slimfast posted:

I object to you classifying Denver as a "non-major" city :colbert:

Oops. I'll fix that :downs:

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
You can put me down as Drum and Bass, Bristol, UK. I'll start putting mixes up as soon as I get my laptop and all the gubbins hooked up.

Edit: Hurf durf.

Anae fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 15, 2009

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
Also, "Europe"? Ouch, man. I don't think we need to be quite so tight on the controls of a thread that is, after all, about a hobby.

Anae: Do you play out? Who with? I may have seen you!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
europe is a dj hub dontchaknow

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
OP updated a little bit. Sorry if I missed you. :(

Symptomless Coma posted:

Also, "Europe"? Ouch, man. I don't think we need to be quite so tight on the controls of a thread that is, after all, about a hobby.

Just trying to keep things organized. If anyone has any better ideas feel free to share them with me.

People are going to be turned off by a huge, unorganized list, that contains 50 genres. I know you hate to believe it, but most people don't know what yacht rock or bassline (etc) is. Dubstep is getting more popular, but I don't know anyone (IRL) other than myself who knows what it is.

I could just have a huge list of DJs, but I think organized by major city is pretty useful. For example, I am considering hosting a socal goon dj meet/party sometime, and knowing who is around is a big help.

I organized it by major city since EDM popularity flairs in the cities I've listed. As far as I know, most of Europe is pretty in tune with EDM, and I don't know of any especially EDM-cultures areas, and I honestly don't know much about the canadian scene, so I lumped it all as one.

But yeah, if you think you have a better idea than I do, let me know.

As a side note, DJing isnt only hobby, it's a professional business. There are actually a few DJs on here who make good money from playing out (I won't single any of them out). Most producers don't make their money from their tracks, but rather from live performances.

Anae posted:

You can put me down as Drum and Bass, Bristol, UK. I'll start putting mixes up as soon as I get my laptop and all the gubbins hooked up.

:bravo:

this makes 9 contentless posts, 5 on the first page.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 15, 2009

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

A shorty for you:
http://www.fakecomputermusic.com/static/2009mix.mp3

00:00 ediT - Crunk De Gaulle (feat. TTC, Busdriver and D-Styles)
04:19 Ellen Allien - Trash Scapes
06:17 Swayzak - Ping Pong
09:00 Siriusmo - L.I.Z.I.
11:50 Aloud - Undersea
15:30 Datarock - Fa Fa Fa (Riton New School Remix)
18:23 Soulwax - NY Excuse
22:23 Eagles Of Death Metal - I Gotta Feelin (Just Nineteen)

the_planet
Chicago
Electro/House/Techno/Rock

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
i haven't listened to 'ping pong' in a minute. that song rules...thanks for the reminder.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

jonmitz posted:

:bravo:

this makes 9 contentless posts, 5 on the first page.

Yeah I realised this on my commute this morning :( it was late last night and I thought 'I know I'll add myself to the list before I forget'. My bad.

Symptomless Coma: I don't play out, because I just haven't found the time to start looking for gigs etc. I am out and about a lot though! What have you been to the last couple months?

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.

counterlogic's Pure Progress Mix

Genre: Progressive/Tech/Electro
Length/Quality: 01:14:07 / 320 KB/s
Size: 173,732 KB

Tracklisting:

1. John Dahlback - Pyramid (Dirty South Remix)
2. Cirez D - Horizons (Original Mix)
3. Gold Ryan - Clean Track (Original Mix)
4. Wolfgang Gartner - Circles (Original Mix)
5. Francis Preve - Caboose (Original Mix)
6. Martin Eyerer & Stephan Hinz - Tucan (Nic Fanciulli Remix)
7. Robert Babicz - Krystaline (Original Mix)
8. Badmouth - Anymore (The Badmouth Original Mix)
9. Pryda - Genesis (Original Mix)
10. Emilio Fernandez - Reynosa (Original Mix)
11. Gold Ryan & Tapesh - Open System (Original Mix)
12. Djuma Soundsystem - Les Djinns (Trentemoller Remix)

Get it here http://counterlogic.net/audio/counterlogic_pureprogress_r5.mp3

I present to you the first version of my very own set, recorded at home today and broadcast live to a few friends simultaneously. Anyways, this set is one I've been kinda piecing together for a while but finally got around to recording and tweaking since school is out for the moment and the shackles on my mind have been freed for the moment for me to progress clearly with my mixes and production work. Expect more soon.

This set was recorded in Ableton Live 7.0.3, "live" from start to finish. This is the first set I have "officially" recorded and released online/elsewhere and I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I did crafting it. The mixing is pretty simple A-B mixing basically, but I feel it has turned out well for a method of DJing I have only more recently gotten truly comfortable with. Any feedback is very welcome.

Also, if you visit my site directly at http://counterlogic.net you can find the post there along with just a few posts I've gotten up to get the site going again since leaving it kind of to the dust last year. I run a weekly Friday night radio program here in Austin, TX on KVRX-Austin 91.7 FM (http://kvrx.org/node/26101) and will be starting my first show of the year next Friday, that's January 23rd and will be playing a lot of things in line with this mix personally among much more along with my co-host Andres Aguirre. As the year progress more content should be added to the site regularly so if you like what's there, I would appreciate any traffic in the future.(The radio show streams live at kvrx.org, but I mention my site as I post each week's set up for people to hear after I get home. Older shows should be back online again for streaming/download again soon too.)

Counterlogic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 26, 2009

dilbread
Apr 29, 2003
First a shoutout to my homie jonmitz :regd09::hf::lsd:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rs367f
Genre: Tech/Progressive
0. Some trance track (Some dude's remix)
1. Tom Mangan - Chutney (Size 9 Reinterpretation)
2. Plastikman - Spastik (Dubfire Remix)
3. Jerome Sydenham, Nagano Kitchen - GSXR 810 (Part 1)
4. John Digweed - Warung Beach (Jamie Stevens Remix)
5. Paolo Mojo, Jim Rivers - Ron Hardy Said (Eric Prydz Remix)
6. Timo Maas - Subtellite
7. Tiga - Mind Dimension 1
8. Richard Dinsdale - Love Doctor
9. The Cube Guys - Baba O`Riley
10. Steve Mac - Paddy's Revenge (Cahill Re-Rub)

This is a completely live set performed in front of hundreds of people at a rave I helped throw on my campus. There was lots of technical problems (I didn't have any monitors!!!) that led to just bad mixing and beatmatching, but the system was so awesome that no one cared. I progressed from the person before me who played some homo trance, so I started out with a fast techno song, then progressed into a bass heavy tech house/techno set that rocked the crowd greatly. I finished with some fun progressive songs because I wanted to end with a bang. My set was only 50 minutes, so it wasn't too much time to do any real progression, but I enjoyed it and so did many others. Enjoy!

dilbread fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 18, 2009

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
I finally have a working computer in my room and to celebrate this I quickly dashed out my first psytrance mix! This is a quickie and I will probably incorporate it into a later full-length mix which will actually be recorded in stereo this time! (drat you audacity for defaulting to mono)

Shiranui - Untitled (Psy #1)
Genre: Psytrance
Length: 0:41:10
BPM: 150

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rfm/shortpsymix.mp3

1. Paraforce - "Shiva Tandiva" (From "Deep Forest", Geomagnetic.tv)
2. Faxi Nadu - "I am the night" (From "Modern Knight", Digital Drugs)
3. Penta - "Vegetarian Ballad" (From "Portuguese Abduction", Auraquake)
4. Kindzadza - "Superstrings" (From "Waves From Inner Space", Osom Music)
5. C.P.U. (On Acid!) vs Neko - "Roller Toaster" (From "Digital Drugs 3: Shape The Machine")
6. Highko vs Chromatone - "Double Milk Vaio" (From "Poison Brothers Making Noise", Noise Poison)
7. Goe - "Jupiter Beach" - Enertopia Remix (From "Divine", Geomagnetic.tv)
8. Raz - "No Limits In Your Mind" (From "Desert Dreaming part 1: Sunset", Geomagnetic.tv)

Bay area artists and Geomagnetic.tv are overrepresented here because they give away/sell for cheap their CDs at all the psytrance parties in the bay area. I'm working on diversifying :)

The mix is mostly dark, starting with a more progressive mix of deeper, grittier stuff, moving to the glitchy/driving side and finishing off with melodic fullon. Tell me what you think of it :)

Someone made a comment in the last thread about psytrance mixes being boring compared to other mixes (or, more specifically, "I can't tell the difference between a good psytrance mix and a bad psytrance mix").Well, after spending a while fooling around in the genre I've figured out why.
Psytrance producers really don't make it easy. It's very common to have a short intro and outro wrapping 5-7 solid minutes of "meat". It's also common to change phrasing and even just skip measures (some tracks even skip single beats). For a frustrating example, listen to the first half or so of "Psycho" by Infected Mushroom. I don't think it sticks to any kind of phrasing at all. Also, the intros tend to be very disagreeable, often having a very long ambient section before just jumping right into 16 bars of beat and then starting the main melody. Even more frustrating, on some tracks the first beat is halfway through a phrase, or even halfway through a measure and you're never going to figure this out until it's too late.

Sometimes I feel like making edits in all of my psytrance tracks so that they're easier to mix but that feels like cheating.

dilbread
Apr 29, 2003
http://www.sendspace.com/file/92jzz4
Genre:Progressive/Trance

1. Veracocha - Carte Blanche (Manuel De La Mare My Jupiter Remix)
2. Blake Jarrell - Punta del Este (Arnej's Minimal Drum Dub)
3. Mat Zo - Rush
4. Alex M.O.R.P.H. - Walk The Edge (Alex M.O.R.P.H b2b Woody Van Eyden Mix)
5. Luke Warner & Mat Lock - Deep Psychosis (Daniel Kandi's Cure Mix)
6. Duderstadt vs Store n Forward - Broken (Nitrous Oxide Mix)

I made this minimix for a trip to the beach I took and it was amazing. Imagine the sun setting into the water at the breakdown at 17:00. AAHHH! Unbelievable!! It has a bunch of recent songs (some old) so I guess I decided I'd release it. I hope someone enjoys it as much as I did!

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin
Dysplasia, January 2009 Mix

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6guk9d
Genre: Dubstep
Duration: 44:18
Quality: 192k

1. Thenody - Killer (Original Mix) [Rottun]
2. Goldfinger - Demolition (Original Mix) [Rottun]
3. DJ Cosmos - Marijuana [Unreleased Bootleg]
4. Toasty - The Knowledge [Hot Flush]
5. Tryptomatik - Death Cell [Suicide Dub]
6. Excision - Warning [Rottun]
7. ScanOne - Skip (Vinyl Edit Version) [Combat]
8. Selfsimilar - Rise [Shift]
9. Mac Koall - The Rasta Core (Original Mix) [Red Volume]
10. Suspicious Stench - Putrid Creature [10 Bag]
11. Roommate & SPL - Face Of Horror [Argon]
12. TrillBass - Bring It Live [Rottun]
13. Ultrablack - Baynger [10 Bag]
14. Jackal & Cheshire - Angel Step (Original Mix) [Rottun]
15. Macabre Unit - Ghost [Boka]
16. TrillBass - loving Heater [Shift]
17. Bar9 - Murda Sound [Z Audio]
18. Cringer - Trigger Finger [Forthcoming Dub Front]

Ok this mix is far from perfect, in fact it is flawed in a lot of ways. Too dark, too much bass, some sloppy mixes, lots of lulls (some intentional).. I'm mostly into production, but I've been mixing tunes for maybe a year and I'm relatively happy with how it came out. Much improvement could be had, less mixer fuckery, and I know where most of the improvements need to be made, just gotta practice more. Everyday hustle.

Edit: Subs recommended. :D

Halo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 18, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Mix. :)

Been getting more and more into deeper, techier stuff (as progressive releases have been somewhat boring lately), so this is my first shot at this.
I would appreciate any feedback, as I really enjoy spinning this.

Rivfader - "Keep It Simple"

Genre: Deep/Tech-House & Techno
Length/Quality: 1h 8min / 320KB/s
Size: 160 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII, DJM-600 & Traktor Scratch

Tracklist

Soundexile - Drinking the Truth (Original Mix)
Milton Jackson - Ghosts in my Machine (Original Mix)
Sei A & Milton Jackson - Jinzou (Scopes Re-Edit)
Vincent Vega & Twinpitch - Da Capo (Gorge Remix)
Shur-I-Kan - Gripper (Original Mix)
Alex Kenji - Adelante (Original Mix)
Underworld - Holding the Moth (Audiojack Remix)
Christian Smith & John Selway - Total Departure (Nihad Tule Remix)
Pig & Dan - Terminate (Original Mix)
Milton Jackson & Sei A - Clicks (Original Mix)
Jay Lumen ft. Panoptic - Surface Reborn (Quivver Remix)
Ramon Tapia - Masquarade Part II (Moonbeam Remix)

Download here: Click and save as!

Enjoy. :)

EDIT: Jon, dl-ing your techmix now.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Rivfader posted:

Been getting more and more into deeper, techier stuff (as progressive releases have been somewhat boring lately), so this is my first shot at this.

Enjoyed this. All Jody Wisternoff like, which in my eyes is a very good thing indeed.

Also bonuspoints for my hero John Graham!

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006

Rivfader posted:

Rivfader - "Keep It Simple"

Genre: Deep/Tech-House & Techno
Length/Quality: 1h 8min / 320KB/s
Size: 160 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII, DJM-600 & Traktor Scratch

Tracklist

Soundexile - Drinking the Truth (Original Mix)
Milton Jackson - Ghosts in my Machine (Original Mix)
Sei A & Milton Jackson - Jinzou (Scopes Re-Edit)
Vincent Vega & Twinpitch - Da Capo (Gorge Remix)
Shur-I-Kan - Gripper (Original Mix)
Alex Kenji - Adelante (Original Mix)
Underworld - Holding the Moth (Audiojack Remix)
Christian Smith & John Selway - Total Departure (Nihad Tule Remix)
Pig & Dan - Terminate (Original Mix)
Milton Jackson & Sei A - Clicks (Original Mix)
Jay Lumen ft. Panoptic - Surface Reborn (Quivver Remix)
Ramon Tapia - Masquarade Part II (Moonbeam Remix)

Download here: Click and save as!

Enjoy. :)

EDIT: Jon, dl-ing your techmix now.

This was an awesome mix man. Think I'm a take your lead and start gettin' tech-ier with my mixes too. Definitely the kind of stuff I want to move towards spinnin' on my radio show more this season starting Friday. Mixing and transitions were solid too. Keep 'em comin' like this I say.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Enjoyed this. All Jody Wisternoff like, which in my eyes is a very good thing indeed.

Also bonuspoints for my hero John Graham!

Counterlogic posted:

This was an awesome mix man. Think I'm a take your lead and start gettin' tech-ier with my mixes too. Definitely the kind of stuff I want to move towards spinnin' on my radio show more this season starting Friday. Mixing and transitions were solid too. Keep 'em comin' like this I say.

Thanks, glad both of you appreciated it! I'll definitely do some more of these. :)

And Quivver has some mighty fine releases out there indeed.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Dirty - June 08

Deep/Tech House

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/53048/dirty-june08mix.mp3

1 Loco Dice ft IM Tango - La Esquina
2 Afrilounge - Gene
3 MANDY - Sunsetpeople (Mandy Latenightflight To Monza Mix)
4 Ed Davenport - Eyespeak
5 Dan Berkson & James What - Indigo
6 Ane Brun - Headphone Silence (Henrik Schwarz Mix) (Dennis Ferrer Noizy Edit)
7 Martin Buttrich - Cruise Control
8 Tigerskin - Peter's Secret Weapon

If you liked this one I've got a couple more on my Myspace @ http://www.myspace.com/dirtyblend

GET MY BELT SON fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 20, 2009

MadCarrot
Feb 27, 2004
Mad as a mad carrot
played out at a club for the first time last night, about 200 ravers on a huge sound system...I was in heaven! Got a recording of what I did too:

http://yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=482773

Drum and bass, ~53 minutes
Tracklist:
1) Drumsound and bassline smith - Body pump
2) Logistics - Inside my soul (Friction & Nu:tone rmx)
3) Subfocus - Swamp thing
4) Chase and Status - Pieces
5) Subfocus - Timewarp
6) Pendulum - Voodoo peopl
7) Xample - Lowdown
8) Danny Byrd - Weird Science
9) Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (dnb rmx)
10) Pendulum - Spiral
11) Danny Byrd - Shockout
12) Baron - Turn up the sun
13) John B - Red Sky
14) Drumsound & Bassline smith - Cold Turkey
15) Spor - Valentine
16) TC ft Scratch Perverts - gently caress What You Heard
17) Chase and Status - Hurt you
18) Pendulum - Axle Grinder
19) Chase and Status - Duppy Man
20) Noisia - Facade VIP
21) Matrix & Futurebound - Knite Riderz
22) Pendulum - Another Planet
23) Ed rush & Optical - Bloodmoney
24) Brookes Brothers - Tear you down
25) Danny Byrd - Gold Rush
26) High Contrast - If we ever
27) Calyx & Teebee - Dual Processed
28) Chase and Status - Take me away
29) Pendulum & DJ Fresh - Babylon Rising
30) Matrix & Futurebound - American Beauty VIP
31) Unknown Error - Shadows (Unicorn rmx)
32) Pendulum - Vault VIP
33) Noisia - Stigma
34) Noisia - Block Control VIP
35) Pendulum - Masochist
36) Noisia - Exodus
37) Subfocus - Frozen Solid

A couple of small mistakes but mostly really happy with that :)

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

MadCarrot posted:

played out at a club for the first time last night, about 200 ravers on a huge sound system...I was in heaven! Got a recording of what I did too:

Tracklist:
5) Subfocus - Timewarp
7) Xample - Lowdown
10) Pendulum - Spiral
13) John B - Red Sky
15) Spor - Valentine
20) Noisia - Facade VIP
32) Pendulum - Vault VIP
33) Noisia - Stigma
35) Pendulum - Masochist
36) Noisia - Exodus

Tracklist looks massive! 37 tunes in 53 minutes? Holy crap. Downloading now!

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

MadCarrot posted:

Tracklist:
5) Subfocus - Timewarp
7) Xample - Lowdown
10) Pendulum - Spiral
13) John B - Red Sky
15) Spor - Valentine
20) Noisia - Facade VIP
32) Pendulum - Vault VIP
33) Noisia - Stigma
35) Pendulum - Masochist
36) Noisia - Exodus

That is the cheesiest set I have ever seen.

Downloading :)

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

Symptomless Coma posted:

And yet it's awesome!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Symptomless Coma posted:

Most US junglists would turn their nose up at this setlist, but frankly, I love dancehall dnb. MadCarrot, banging this out to 200+ must have been a hell of a rush.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

chrix posted:

Most US junglists would turn their nose up at this setlist, but frankly, I love dancehall dnb. MadCarrot, banging this out to 200+ must have been a hell of a rush.

I would normally at first glance, but the inclusion of Danny Byrd, Noisia et al gives it a nice feel, and frankly mixing it up with Pendulum and Danny Byrd (good lad on getting a bunch of Supersized in there by the way) in the same mix is impressive any way you look at it.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

jonmitz posted:

Dubstep is getting more popular, but I don't know anyone (IRL) other than myself who knows what it is.
I know this is a little sidetrack, but just to share a dubstep anecdote. I have a regular DJ gig at a local dive bar, and it's real low-key. Most times I do a soul night, but if people are asking for hip-hop I'll do that and some dance stuff. 2 weeks ago, I was playing mainly soul and some african stuff, and 3 separate people came up to me, asking for dubstep. They all responded to the Afro-beat stuff and came up one by one over an hour asking for dubstep! I think that poo poo is getting way bigger than you'd think...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dubstep is pretty fun to listen to... :)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Dubstep more like Dullstep :rimshot: :tipshat:

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

A MIRACLE posted:

Dubstep is pretty fun to listen to... :)

Yeah but you have to listen to it on a big system, otherwise it loses a lot. That's the right way to hear it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Halo posted:

Yeah but you have to listen to it on a big system, otherwise it loses a lot. That's the right way to hear it.

Yeah, it's basically pointless without a subwoofer turned up, at least. Though I can manage to get some decent sound out of headphones too.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Halo posted:

The same can be said for most forums of electronic music...

I don't know, I have a really powerful subwoofer for the size of my room and even with it turned up, i just dont... "get" dubstep (?). I also dont like most D&B, and they're kinda similar

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
There's nothing really to "get" about dubstep, you either like it or not. I've really been getting into it lately.

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
I don't think I like dubstep the way I like what I reallllly like. That said, I will definitively agree that in the right little hole in the wall venue with the soundsystem and subs that you wouldnt expect at such a place, makes for a crazy night. Though, like hard house, and other bass heavy genres, I feel like it's interestingness will wear down quick.

My two cents.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

chrix posted:

Dancehall? Jump-up.

On a totally seperate point, does anyone facing doing a collabo DnB mix? I'm sure there's a way to make it happen.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

jonmitz posted:

The same can be said for most forums of electronic music...

I don't know, I have a really powerful subwoofer for the size of my room and even with it turned up, i just dont... "get" dubstep (?). I also dont like most D&B, and they're kinda similar

Are you into four on the floor? I've always felt there was a huge divide between people who really like breaks and people who really like a straight beat. I'd of course agree that dubstep and D&B/jungle are in the same family, it's a funny thing though with dubstep is it's successfully marrying genres all the time. I feel like the style almost lends iteself to be influenced by any style, practically speaking. Sure this could be said about any music, but I think this is the first time I am very convinced. Twisty basslines, half-step techno and dub effects? Sign me up.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Symptomless Coma posted:

Dancehall? Jump-up.

On a totally seperate point, does anyone facing doing a collabo DnB mix? I'm sure there's a way to make it happen.

This would be possible with CDJs or Traktor etc, but I don't think there's anyway I could take part as I only use vinyl? Actually, you could maybe plug an iPod with the other person's half of the mix into the mixer, record that whole thing again, then mix out of it while still recording. If so I would be up for that (bristol heads reppin') but I am still really new at this so you'd have to cut me some slack.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Anae posted:

This would be possible with CDJs or Traktor etc, but I don't think there's anyway I could take part as I only use vinyl? Actually, you could maybe plug an iPod with the other person's half of the mix into the mixer, record that whole thing again, then mix out of it while still recording. If so I would be up for that (bristol heads reppin') but I am still really new at this so you'd have to cut me some slack.

One of you do the first half, and the second person then records the second half. Depending on who started it, it will probably be easier to digital mix the two halfs together

edit: versus (one song after another) mixes over the forums usually take an incredibly long time to do (i.e. probably not worth it...)

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Halo posted:

Are you into four on the floor? I've always felt there was a huge divide between people who really like breaks and people who really like a straight beat. I'd of course agree that dubstep and D&B/jungle are in the same family, it's a funny thing though with dubstep is it's successfully marrying genres all the time. I feel like the style almost lends iteself to be influenced by any style, practically speaking. Sure this could be said about any music, but I think this is the first time I am very convinced. Twisty basslines, half-step techno and dub effects? Sign me up.

The funny thing about me is that I hate two-step breaks, but I LOOOOVE the half time feel of dubstep.

It kind of works with the fidget house that I play. They do share some elements (mostly the wobbly bass). I've been struggling recently over whether to start my sets with dubstep and move into house or start my sets with house and move into dubstep... I'm not really sure what would work better. I've heard people do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

jonmitz posted:

One of you do the first half, and the second person then records the second half. Depending on who started it, it will probably be easier to digital mix the two halfs together

edit: versus (one song after another) mixes over the forums usually take an incredibly long time to do (i.e. probably not worth it...)

Yeah, I wasn't planning on a B2B mix. I do think a 30-minute each mix would be fun though.

• Locked thread