Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Anae posted:

Yeah, I wasn't planning on a B2B mix. I do think a 30-minute each mix would be fun though.

Awesome, let's do it UK-style. I'm Vinyl too so yeah, the method you suggested is the best one I can think of. Email me on vituperative at gmail dot com and we'll get to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If you don't like funky, gritty, balls-to-the-wall techno you are a human being.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rowptf

Scott Jackson // January 2009
60:48
192 kbps

dan soden - anomalous (telepathy)
rowlanz - groove tools (trilogy)
john karagiannis - decem - dj mika remix (techhead)
dj any - fashion (flume beat)
marco woods & dj ganez - club tropical (starstraxx)
delano - red boys - killian remix (cobra)
mike del saar - showtime (audio family)
josh love - mezmerized (relatives)
boriqua tribez - 1975 (adult)
peppelino - cosmonaut - iago de la vega remix (prozak)
dj any - just play one (flume beat)
hristian stojanowski - don't that (keep on techno)
david moleon - golden pikit (cobra)
goncalo m - live munition (techno artillery)
mr. berk - return of the bag (borghese incisioni)
dropstatik - kontrapunkt part one (hole)

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
No Music Discussion: If you don't like funky, gritty, balls-to-the-wall techno you are a human being.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
As soon as I see the name Peppelino in a mix, I'm grabbing it.

edit: enjoyed it greatly, thank you!

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 27, 2009

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for downloading. a few of these are older tracks as i couldn't find as many songs that I liked in the last month. mezmerized is off a great ep on relatives which has two other tracks i had purchased earlier.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
too many good tech house songs being released right now. i don't have enough money for this poo poo...

PS: all music should be as cool as this song:

Emotional Distortion (Popof Remix) - MOS

probably one of the sickest tracks i've heard. ever. during the breakdown when the beat chimes in its just... ridiculous :c00lbert:

here it is in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7KIsxYMZo

e: VVV I liked your mix too, I just always forgot to post about them

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 26, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

jonmitz posted:

too many good tech house songs being released right now. i don't have enough money for this poo poo...

PS: all music should be as cool as this song:

Emotional Distortion (Popof Remix) - MOS

probably one of the sickest tracks i've heard. ever. during the breakdown when the beat chimes in its just... ridiculous :c00lbert:

here it is in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7KIsxYMZo

So true, way too many awesome tracks. Luckily progressive's been a bit on it's arse as of late, so I don't have spend much on that.

Some recent releases that I really dig: Noir - The Off World, Umek - 2nd To None and Egostereo - Oxyde.

Also, really liked Turbulent Flow 3, nice flow, mixing is great and that Remute track is amazing.

Minor Edit: Ordering Traktor Scratch Pro tomorrow. :)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Rivfader posted:

that Remute track is amazing.

I spent a week yelling at my friend MASS.... HYPNOSIS... and then he was in my car and that track came on and he's like "oh thats why you've been yelling that at me", and then he started doing it to me

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I never see any sort of disco house/"house house" ever posted here, no other goons other than myself into it?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I like deep house, does that count?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
I like house, but I can only afford to buy vinyl for one genre and it's way easier to find vinyl for everything D&B (at least in England) than it is for house. I'll probably get Serato/Traktor in a couple of years and use that to play house but still play all my D&B on vinyl. If only it weren't all so expensive.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

jonmitz posted:

I never see any sort of disco house/"house house" ever posted here, no other goons other than myself into it?

I say bring on the disco house!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

jonmitz posted:

I listen to your mixes. I listen to all the mixes posted here except D&B. That stuff hurts my ears..

I wish more people here spun hip hop.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I listen to all the mixes posted here except D&B. That stuff hurts my ears..

This makes me sad. Fair enough if you've heard plenty and it just isn't your cup of tea, but is the D&B you usually hear 'angry' D&B? If so, then I assure you that is but a fraction of D&B, and I'd be happy to provide some links to some examples of other sub-genres.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

A MIRACLE posted:

I wish more people here spun hip hop.

I think I will probably do a pure underground hiphop set at some point in the near future here. I play it a lot mixed in with downtempo and brokenbeats and other genres in the neighboring BPM ranges.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

jonmitz posted:

You apparently missed my last mix.

edit: http://awesometownradio.com/audio/charlie-discomix.mp3

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I produced/Djed all of this.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2gyg1m3gztv/Mix.mp3

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Received Traktor Scratch Pro today.

Sjoewe and myself decided to throw our gear together and go for some 4 deck-mixing. The result of that I will post later, as we'll be recording our set. I'm excited to see how it'll work out. :)

Enter deep house, tech house and (minimal)-techno!

Some pictures:

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Rivfader posted:

Received Traktor Scratch Pro today.

pics

That is sexy with the monitor turned tall like that.

How's Traktor Scratch Pro?

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

chrix posted:

That is sexy with the monitor turned tall like that.

How's Traktor Scratch Pro?

Traktor Pro is awesome, works flawlessly with 4 decks, both CD's and Vinyl. Very stable and practically no blips because of other deck manipulation.

Only bad thing about the whole evening; the rec-out of the mixer was too loud and so the entire 3 hour set sounds hosed. Ah well, we had fun.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
How do you stand having your decks/mixer so low like that. That looks like a recipe for lower-back pain to me (DJ old guy)

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Well I guess I should answer, because it's my house. I have a normal DJ table, which sits at 103cm so that is allright for normal use.But it is too small to fit both the CDJ's and the turntables, so we diverted to my dinner table for this evening. And that's okay for one evening but I wouldn't want it to be like this for a permanent setup. ;)

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 30, 2009

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
you guys are assholes with that mixer :(

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

jonmitz posted:

I'm actually selling my DJM-600 to be able to buy a Nuo 5 and Xone 1D to go with Traktor.

The Nuo is amazing, and I honestly don't get why Ecler is discontinuing it as of this year. Well, I do, it's to make room for the Evo 4, but still. So if you're planning on getting one, better do it soon or they'll be out of stock.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

jonmitz posted:

It's my baby. I would sleep with it if it wasn't such a hassle to disconnect all thye wires every time.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
(mix submitted to DI, will repost if they reject it)

Dance Move Burglar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 30, 2009

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
New mixxxxxx, starts off techy and later moves into progressive territory

DJ Goodspeed - The Games We Play
65:43, 192 kbps, Tech/Progressive
http://awesometownradio.com/djgoodspeed/djgoodspeed_thegamesweplay.mp3

Audio Soul Project - Reality Check (Vincenzo remix)
D.Ramirez - Physiological Rhythms (The Dark Night mix)
Greg Delon - Cesar Koletzki (Meindl mix)
Prompt - Evolve (Slam Paragraph remix)
Dr Kucho - Patricia Never Leaves The House (Kucho remix)
Perfect Stranger - Easy
David West - The Hideout
Rob Roar & Felix Baumgarter - Slam 303
Fergie - Break In
Richard Grey - Massive
Deadmau5 - So There I was
Arno Cost - Souvenir

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you guys are mixing do you usually match the old song 2 the new song or the new song 2 the old song?

do you usually speed up on the next song? is every song sequentially faster (bpm) than the last song? is there a guide somewhere? the only guide I've read is nem0nic's, it's pretty helpful but I want more tech info. thankx.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

A MIRACLE posted:

If you guys are mixing do you usually match the old song 2 the new song or the new song 2 the old song?

do you usually speed up on the next song? is every song sequentially faster (bpm) than the last song? is there a guide somewhere? the only guide I've read is nem0nic's, it's pretty helpful but I want more tech info. thankx.

new to old, otherwise you'd make very noticable pitch bend corrections to the currently playing track, which would be embarrasingly apparent.

you control the tempo. transition to a new track and perhaps push up the tempo before you mix in a new song, gradually as the set progresses. Its all you baby.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

OK, after you mix in a new song do you speed it back up or just keep it at the old tempo?

very helpful thank you

edit: ok just reread that... ok

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

OK, after you mix in a new song do you speed it back up or just keep it at the old tempo?

very helpful thank you

edit: ok just reread that... ok

99% of mixes you hear generally stay the same tempo, beginning to end. When you mix a new song in, you match it to the old song and then leave it at that speed.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

People who mix mp3's... do you have your collection organized by bpm, or what? And how do you know the bpm of a song?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

A MIRACLE posted:

very helpful thank you

Back up?

Ok, a track is playing right, at a certain tempo, say 129. You go to the other deck and listen in your headphones on the other track. Lets say thats 127. You start track 2 in time with the downbeat of track 1 (assuming you know how to count this), and you would clearly hear track 2 would start to lag behind pretty rapidly. You use pitch bend on track 2 to get it back in time, and adjust the pitch knob/fader up, and repeat this until you no longer have to use pitch bend to keep it in time.

Now learning to hear if a track is faster or slower is something you will learn in time, but its one of those things that you can learn and almost never forget so dont worry about that. Naturally, there will be some fluctuations in tempo, so personally, I just make sure they will play in time for atleast 30-60 seconds. I also check if it drifts over time, if it drifts up, or down, for when I need to make small corrections.

As you begin to learn, the whole process will take its time. Dont worry about it, just reset everything and try again. After a while you should be able to nail this in under a minute.

As for loving around with the tempo; I've personally never experienced a DJ that actually slows songs DOWN after a mix. Most push progressively upwards throughout a set. Danny Tenaglia famously pitches alot of his tracks down to get that deep dubby tribal feel over his sets, but thats a different story.

Oh and for the love of god try to avoid using a bpm counter while you're learning basic beatmatching. Those can quickly become crutches which you may become too dependent on.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

A MIRACLE posted:

People who mix mp3's... do you have your collection organized by bpm, or what? And how do you know the bpm of a song?

I use Traktor Scratch and have my collection sorted alphabetically. I usually remember tracks by artist and name, so it's the quickest way for me to find tracks. Occasionally I do hit the sort by BPM-tag, when I'm not sure what track to play next, it's an easy way to get a "hint" bpm-wise.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Oh and for the love of god try to avoid using a bpm counter while you're learning basic beatmatching. Those can quickly become crutches which you may become too dependent on.

Quoting this because it's the drat truth.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Rivfader posted:

I use Traktor Scratch and have my collection sorted alphabetically. I usually remember tracks by artist and name, so it's the quickest way for me to find tracks. Occasionally I do hit the sort by BPM-tag, when I'm not sure what track to play next, it's an easy way to get a "hint" bpm-wise.

Quoting this because it's the drat truth.

Vinyl-wise, I recommend starting on some belt-drive or lower-end tables and it will help you tune into the tempo so much better. You'll have to work harder to get tracks to match, you'll always have to worry about pitch fade, but when you step up to better equipment, you'll be a god.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I want CDJ-400s...

Anyone want to buy 200s?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

vanilla slimfast posted:

I think I will probably do a pure underground hiphop set at some point in the near future here. I play it a lot mixed in with downtempo and brokenbeats and other genres in the neighboring BPM ranges.

Right on. I just started DJing for a hip-hop group, so I'm back in the habit of doing some hip-hop sets. I'll put together a 'golden era' mix soon

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

jonmitz posted:

I want CDJ-400s...

Anyone want to buy 200s?

Why so? Don't expect much of the MIDI setup, it doesn't work properly. For instance in midi-mode there are just 128 steps on the entire pitch fader. That is a resolution of 0.125%, from the company that sells its CDJ's by promoting the 0.02% pitch resolution. It's a bitch to get both soundcards to work together, the jogwheels feel like they have been bought of Fisherprice and anything larger than a 4gb memorystick will take ages to load. Bite your teeth, save some more and buy 800's, it will be the best thing you'll ever do. Trust me.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
A full-on minimal mix I did the other day. The tunes are all intended for the peak of the party. Turn it up loud or it won't sound good.

I'll post the tracklist on request but it's a bitch to figure out what I played, as most of the tracks are quite fresh

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54659775b49425e2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
You also can't do spinbacks on the 400s like you can on the 800s and 1000s, it runs out of buffer.

The 400s looked promising but they've got tons of bugs to work out before they'll be worth the money, imo :(

• Locked thread