Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I heard in a few places that it seems very similar to XCOM2, which makes sense given its the only other major game in the genre. I wonder if it will avoid my major complaint about XCOM2 and the thing that stops me from playing it: the pod activation system, where enemies are all standing there in the fog of war deactivated until the player uncovers them, then they burst in to action. It made every XCOM2 game a matter of only revealing the fog of war when you have action points left in the turn (i.e. only reveal at the beginning of your turn, not the end), so you don't activate enemies without the chance to attack them first.

JA2 did it way better, where when you start shooting at people, everyone in the map knows and comes for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Who is going to make a new thread for it?

I'll make one here in a bit. With all of the positive reviews come in, I think we may have a sleeper hit on our hands.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Does this also have the move&shoot action system from XCOM, or is it still the granular AP style from JA2?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

Does this also have the move&shoot action system from XCOM, or is it still the granular AP style from JA2?

AP I believe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

10 ap seems the standard , with 4ap to shoot, and you can spend 1-2 ap more to aim.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

piratepilates posted:

I heard in a few places that it seems very similar to XCOM2, which makes sense given its the only other major game in the genre. I wonder if it will avoid my major complaint about XCOM2 and the thing that stops me from playing it: the pod activation system, where enemies are all standing there in the fog of war deactivated until the player uncovers them, then they burst in to action. It made every XCOM2 game a matter of only revealing the fog of war when you have action points left in the turn (i.e. only reveal at the beginning of your turn, not the end), so you don't activate enemies without the chance to attack them first.

JA2 did it way better, where when you start shooting at people, everyone in the map knows and comes for you.

Well, that has certain disadvantage. It's often too easy to set up a gun line and let the enemies suicide all their forces into you, especially later on with longer range weapons and more capable merc. It's also obvious some enemies are scripted to just camp at corners and chokepoints in some levels to screw with the players.

Honestly I struggle to remember what slur any merc even say, snapperheads? Woody? Granted the last time I played JA2 1.13 was 6 years ago and I have favorites so I can't claim I know what crazy things every obscure merc utters.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

I picked this up as I've really been interested in JA2 but I bounced off it really hard years ago when I picked it up on a steam sale. I think getting that similar sort of crunchiness with a more modern control scheme and UI will work out really well

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

pedro0930 posted:

Well, that has certain disadvantage. It's often too easy to set up a gun line and let the enemies suicide all their forces into you, especially later on with longer range weapons and more capable merc. It's also obvious some enemies are scripted to just camp at corners and chokepoints in some levels to screw with the players.

Honestly I struggle to remember what slur any merc even say, snapperheads? Woody? Granted the last time I played JA2 1.13 was 6 years ago and I have favorites so I can't claim I know what crazy things every obscure merc utters.

Magic would say snapperheads all the time especially when you encounter a hostile

https://jaggedalliance.fandom.com/wiki/Earl_%22Magic%22_Walker

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Gus calls the player Woody as he/you is supposedly named Woodrow.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
That's....not really a slur though, is my point. They have catch phrases and verbal ticks, but no racial, no overt misogyny that I can remember.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 13, 2023

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

pedro0930 posted:

That's....not really a slur though.

It's not. It's the equivalent of calling someone a moron or idiot. Just pointing out it was Magic because reading your post instantly played his voiceline in my head

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I shall buy this

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whenever I hired Gus and he'd say "Woody?" I would keep saying "oh, he would" until I was sick of myself.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
If Magic isn't constantly calling people Snapperheads in JA3 I'm demanding a refund.

Is there a list of mercs that are appearing in this game? All I could find was an old Reddit post that's probably incomplete.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
if Ira's VA isn't thrown in or a mention to Ira in the game somewhere, I'm going to be mad

gently caress, preordered.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Lynx posted:

If Magic isn't constantly calling people Snapperheads in JA3 I'm demanding a refund.

Is there a list of mercs that are appearing in this game? All I could find was an old Reddit post that's probably incomplete.
From Cohh's stream

I.M.P. custom merc

A.I.M. directory (I don't know if the M.E.R.C. directory is in JA3)

Recruit:
Steroid
Fox
Mouse
Omyryn
Livewire
Kalyna
MD
Igor
Grizzly
Barry

Veteran:
Fidel
Raven
Thor
Wolf
Ice
Blood
Meltdown
Buns
Grunty

Elite:
Ivan
Vicki
Raider
Tex
Nails
Dr. Q
Red
Hitman

Legendary:
Gus
Magic
Scully
Reaper
Sidney
Shadow
Scope
Fauda
Len

Legendaries are locked behind a A.I.M. Gold membership, which I think is a one-time $20,000 fee based on a prompt that popped up during Cohh's stream

then there's probably the local recruits that are story/quest based that I have no idea about

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Where is Ira?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fighting Elegy posted:

Where is Ira?

She was specifically one of the Omerta rebels, not AIM

Just watching TheEdmon's first episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnZ40fdS44

MD has sure gotten a lot dumber since 2

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Doing Ivan dirty with elite tier, man is legendary for sure in my books. I'll be rolling with Blood and Ice in my starting team in homage to my first games of JA2 where they put in work

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fighting Elegy posted:

Where is Ira?

in Arulco, presumably.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Some of the reviews mention only being able to buy weapons from specific places. I guess that means No Bobby Ray's in this. How am I supposed to cheat and kit out a bunch of mercs with SCAR 17s and mortars then?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Gyoru posted:

A.I.M. directory (I don't know if the M.E.R.C. directory is in JA3)
:words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6haNLdSJRwo

Burns
May 10, 2008

So whats yalls favourite starting team?

Im hoping to go with at least Fox, Barry, Grunty and Grizzly. In my first playthrough of JA2 Grunty became such a monster he could clear a sector alone.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
At one point or another some 10-12 years ago, Let's Play had two JA2 1.13 LPs running. One was Burn Notice, the other Atlas Shrugged themed. A semi-important point in an update for one of them is that Flo was the only merc who knew how to drive a manual.

What I want to say is that I hope MERC will be included.

Anyway, my starting team in JA2 always was:

Buns
Grunty
MD or Spider
IMP

and maybe Fidel, depending.

Seems that Spider and Malice are missing.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Gyoru posted:

From Cohh's stream

:tipshat:

Here's hoping there's an alumni section where you can read about what happened to mercs who aren't returning like JA2. Buzz and Lynx are conspicuously missing, I'm sure there's a story there.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Some MERC mercs is in the game but i dont know if they are recruitable.

Spoiler: Basically MERC was the first group hired by the mining corp but hosed up right from the get go. You are the cleanup crew.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I will miss Danny even though I just sort of mixed him and MD up half the time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Burns posted:

So whats yalls favourite starting team?

Im hoping to go with at least Fox, Barry, Grunty and Grizzly. In my first playthrough of JA2 Grunty became such a monster he could clear a sector alone.

Fox was listed as offline in both videos I've watched, so she's not available immediately anyway

Burns
May 10, 2008

Azhais posted:

Fox was listed as offline in both videos I've watched, so she's not available immediately anyway

I think this is random just like in JA2. Ive sern LPs with her in the initial team.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Dedicated JA3 thread is up.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

pedro0930 posted:

“Naughty man!”

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
game rules, but too bad I cant seem to have more than 6 avatars for my custom merc, it's really easy to target doors by mistake and the stat checks could automatically pick the character with the highest stat

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Honest Thief posted:

stat checks could automatically pick the character with the highest stat

I think they do, it doesn't seem to matter who initiates the conversation, unless maybe they're out of range. Or are you talking about environment interactions (like lockpicking)?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: n/m wrong thread

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I think they do, it doesn't seem to matter who initiates the conversation, unless maybe they're out of range. Or are you talking about environment interactions (like lockpicking)?

yeah like wisdowm checks on environment too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m trying to play JA2 for the first time and the IMP test is confusing me - I gave it answers in the hopes it would yield the skills I wanted but seemed to have overwritten previous answers with the last one so I ended up with throwing and ambidexterity when I wanted full auto and night fighting, since I vaguely planned to make an operator with SMGs, NVGs, and night operation bonuses / an emphasis on training and charisma but can’t figure why the ostensibly correct answers don’t yield that. Any tips? Does it really matter? I’m not using 1.13, just Stracciatella

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

This steam guide seems to cover it pretty well: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=497756826

1.13 skips all of this and lets you choose everything, but for your first run-through, Stracciatella is probably the better choice.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

This steam guide seems to cover it pretty well: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=497756826

1.13 skips all of this and lets you choose everything, but for your first run-through, Stracciatella is probably the better choice.

Ah I see - I was using a different apparently incorrect guide that didn’t account for the paired answers needed to actually yield the desired perk, just indicated that each answer = perk type. Now that I understand the format here this should make it more intuitive, thanks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's also certain stat requirements for some skills.

I get the impression most JA2 players don't care for Sci-fi mode, but have any modders done something more with it? It's kind of an afterthought in the game, but I'd like it if it was more elaborate. (Spoilering for the guy above) Right now, when it triggers, the player gets slapped in the face with a big confrontation they might not be ready for. It'd make more sense for a few bugs to infest one mine, you having to clear it, and then being prompted to go look for the queen somewhere else. Plus I still think it'd be cool to be confronted with bugs near the Queen's palace, to suggest she actually has a practical use for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
What I wanted from Sci-Fi mode were more speculative things like powered assist exoskeletons, binary propellant weapons, XM25. Silly poo poo.