Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

davidspackage posted:

I get the impression most JA2 players don't care for Sci-fi mode, but have any modders done something more with it?
Been years since I played with Demise of Man but it has a lot of cool sci-fi in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

davidspackage posted:

There's also certain stat requirements for some skills.

I get the impression most JA2 players don't care for Sci-fi mode, but have any modders done something more with it? It's kind of an afterthought in the game, but I'd like it if it was more elaborate. (Spoilering for the guy above) Right now, when it triggers, the player gets slapped in the face with a big confrontation they might not be ready for. It'd make more sense for a few bugs to infest one mine, you having to clear it, and then being prompted to go look for the queen somewhere else. Plus I still think it'd be cool to be confronted with bugs near the Queen's palace, to suggest she actually has a practical use for them.

Deidranna Lives! heavily did that last thing along with undetectable explosives in mine sectors and guards hardwired to set them off.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I feel like I must be missing something really obvious because I am terminally stupid. I spent a little while making my IMP merc and answering questions correctly to produce a merc with night ops and automatic weapons. Figured that out, named him Baldrick, saved my game to hop in. According to his inventory screen in the laptop he has a beretta and three magazines, some flares, a flak jacket, and a few other assorted things like a toolbox. Anyway, when I hit the time fast forward thing and it drops me into the first mission to confront the first enemy, I can't...do anything to them? It shows me a wrench icon when I hover over the enemy and the two inventory slots visible on the main screen show a toolbox and a flare. I can walk up to the single tutorial enemy but can't hit him. I'm obviously missing something intuitive and important but I can't figure out what it is via google, can't figure out how to open my inventory and equip a weapon so he can shoot back, can't figure out how to hit the guy with my toolbox even though he has no mechanics skill. Any ideas?

ed: I know I should probably just hire another guy but I feel like I am being a dummy in some profound way that will impact any subsequent mercenaries I decide to employ, anyway

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 20, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Right click your guy IIRC? Or press I for inventory.

Make sure your gun is in your hands.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Xarn posted:

Right click your guy IIRC? Or press I for inventory.

Make sure your gun is in your hands.

Thanks! Bizarrely I restarted a third time and this time instead of a toolbox he has a gun and a flare instead of a toolbox and a flare. I clicked and threw the flare (lol) then figured out that clicking the gun would move it up the list. I have no idea why he spawned without his gun the first two times I tried though. Unfortunately he got instantly owned because there were two enemies with pistols and he couldn't hit them at all despite a marksman skill of 75 so I think I'm gonna have to hire more mercenaries before I try to do the tutorial mission

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 20, 2023

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! Bizarrely I restarted a third time and this time instead of a toolbox he has a gun and a flare instead of a toolbox and a flare. I clicked and threw the flare (lol) then figured out that clicking the gun would move it up the list. I have no idea why he spawned without his gun the first two times I tried though. Unfortunately he got instantly owned because there were two enemies with pistols and he couldn't hit them at all despite a marksman skill of 75 so I think I'm gonna have to hire more mercenaries before I try to do the tutorial mission

Make sure you are aiming. You need to right click on the enemy and the targeting crosshair will get tighter, unaimed shots (with the crosshair all the way out) are almost sure to miss, even up close.

Yes you do want a couple AIM mercs with you right from the jump. But your guy should be able to hit okay with 75 marksmanship, provided you are aiming.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Normally your mercs should start with gun in hand, but I don't know if Straciatella does like complicated new stuff like holstering weapons for realism, though I don't think so.

And you're going in with just your IMP merc? I'd definitely hire two or three mercs to join them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Appreciate the help. I was just using my IMP guy but I hired Igor and Buns for my next attempt and managed to kill all three enemies (barely, they hit all three of my mercenaries but buns was able to stop the bleeding with the first aid kit she starts with). I think I was aiming - it designated torso, arm, head, etc - but the problem was probably that I was out of effective weapons range with the starting pistol. Anyway I’m on the second map where the base is and think I’m beginning to understand the fundamentals, and can see myself getting my poo poo owned a lot even on novice until I figure out what’s going on more generally / get some rifles

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, once you've restarted 15-20 times you'll be ready to play the game for real.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I’m currently trying to figure out how to leave the map and go to Drassen. I’m a little concerned though three of my mercenaries are hurt in some way, they’re all low on ammo, and I don’t seem to have the capacity to heal them completely absent a doctor’s bag so I imagine I am likely to have a hard time getting to the next goal but may as well find out to calibrate a bit better for when I restart for the final time. Neat how much stuff is going on here, it seems like once all the systems get going it’ll be a nice complicated but not too overwhelmingly so thing going on

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You can walk all your mercs to an edge of the screen and then leave, or you can hit M to go to the map screen, click the "DEST" column on the left, and set a new destination for them.

You're right, you need the larger Med kit to permanently fix those wounded mercs, though sleeping also slowly heals them. But right now is a bit too early to waste time on that, best press on, I think.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

davidspackage posted:

You can walk all your mercs to an edge of the screen and then leave, or you can hit M to go to the map screen, click the "DEST" column on the left, and set a new destination for them.

You're right, you need the larger Med kit to permanently fix those wounded mercs, though sleeping also slowly heals them. But right now is a bit too early to waste time on that, best press on, I think.

Thanks! It’s the dest button I was looking for - the maps for Omertà A10 won’t let me leave via the edge so I reckon that’s the only way out. As for sleep that’s good to know, and the game seems to intend the player to keep going as there’s no option to sleep in the underground base’s bunkbeds. I’ll just keep rolling with these four and their four pistols, hopefully I have enough shots to get through the next encounter

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

From the strategic map, you can also double click the sector with your mercs in it, select squads (they must not be doing something and actually be in squads to be eligible, so nobody who's actively healing or whatever), then click on the destination and confirm. I had a modded game flake out like 30 hours in and require one of the other methods of moving people around, but that's a good way to do it too.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

In terms of starting out: usually you want your IMP, a medic, and an engineer to start out. The engineer isn't vital like in JA3, but it helps to be able to lockpick stuff. Having someone with high STR can also be helpful for brute-forcing lockers open. You can solo it, but on a first run you absolutely shouldn't. My classic starting group tends to be IMP, Fox, Igor, maybe Danny or MD (they're virtually identical as cheap medical white dudes), and maybe a couple other cheapies if I'm feeling saucy. Just take it slow since everyone has sort of garbage guns, and try to let people cover and move. Early combat is a lot of frustrating pistol fights (and shotguns if you're lucky), so a lot of it should be done at night if you can. You can usually set up fairly good defensive positions and pick dudes off as they rush you, too - just be sure you're not defending from too many directions. Making them come around a corner is a good way to ambush most baddies, too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

George RR Fartin posted:

In terms of starting out: usually you want your IMP, a medic, and an engineer to start out. The engineer isn't vital like in JA3, but it helps to be able to lockpick stuff. Having someone with high STR can also be helpful for brute-forcing lockers open. You can solo it, but on a first run you absolutely shouldn't. My classic starting group tends to be IMP, Fox, Igor, maybe Danny or MD (they're virtually identical as cheap medical white dudes), and maybe a couple other cheapies if I'm feeling saucy. Just take it slow since everyone has sort of garbage guns, and try to let people cover and move. Early combat is a lot of frustrating pistol fights (and shotguns if you're lucky), so a lot of it should be done at night if you can. You can usually set up fairly good defensive positions and pick dudes off as they rush you, too - just be sure you're not defending from too many directions. Making them come around a corner is a good way to ambush most baddies, too.

IMO demo is mandatory before you leave the starter island too.

If you're running cheap, get Barry and Kali and Fox. It covers your skill bases, kali is a pretty good shot and Barry is Barry. For your imp nerd, don't even bother doing the test, go full custom, max out their marksmanship and leadership. Leadership is like the one skill you can't get cheap. The cheapest leader is like 12k/week.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
It seems crazy today but it would probably help you if you read the manual.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Really appreciate all the advice! I’m playing on Novice with “lots of guns” and sci-fi on, so hopefully I’ll be able to get some new pistols / shotguns / maybe even non-close range weapons soon. Gonna tackle that second encounter using some of the knowledge imparted itt. I have to admit even as someone in their 30s used to this era this first attempt to internalize the mechanics and not get rolled felt like a slog but the vibes are so good it’s clear once everything gets rolling there’s quite a game experience to be had, so I’m gonna try to keep going

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Maybe next time you shouldn't play tons of guns... tons of guns can make inventory management more overwhelming than it already is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Vanilla tons o' guns isn't that bad. 1.13 can get kind of nuts.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Vanilla tons o' guns isn't that bad. 1.13 can get kind of nuts.

Vanilla tons of guns was almost required, imo. Otherwise the normal gun selection was really limited and boring, you would have like 2 types of pistols, 2 rifles etc for the whole game

1.13 tons of guns, though, is for the real gun nuts, it’s crazy and overwhelming

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's the best

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Probably is if you enough about guns, I really dont

For me most of that gun selection could be made up and I would not know the difference

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
1.13 lots of guns is one of the primary infection vectors for becoming a gun nut

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know very little about guns, but most of what I do know, I know from JA2.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Probably is if you enough about guns, I really dont

For me most of that gun selection could be made up and I would not know the difference
What do you mean? All the AK and AK variants are important to feature since they all have totally different and meaningful impact.

In 5.56mm you have:
code:
AK-102 - Dmg: 29, Rng: 31, APs: 6 / - / 11
AK-108 - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 6 / - / 10 
Or if you have 5.45mm ammo you could use:
code:
AKS-74U- Dmg: 27, Rng: 20, APs: 5 / - / 10
AK-105 - Dmg: 29, Rng: 28, APs: 6 / - / 11 
AK-74  - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 6 / - / 11
AK-107 - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 6 / - / 10 
AKS-74 - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 6 / - / 11 
AEK-971- Dmg: 30, Rng: 35, APs: 6 / - / 10 
7.62x39mm might be to your liking more!
code:
AK-104 - Dmg: 29, Rng: 27, APs: 6 / - / 11
AK-103 - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 7 / - / 12 
AK-47  - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 7 / - / 12
AKS-47 - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 7 / - / 12 
AKM    - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 7 / - / 12
AKMS   - Dmg: 30, Rng: 33, APs: 7 / - / 12 
AEK-973- Dmg: 30, Rng: 35, APs: 6 / - / 10
*I actually don't know if this info is accurate anymore

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I don't even know if these are real :v:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah my tenuous understanding is that in vanilla “tons of guns” adds Warsaw Pact/foreign weapons which are otherwise not available and if you don’t select it you’ve got like 20 total

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

So according to the book about JA2, including interviews with Sir-Tech guys, the devs just wanted the guns to fit into the gameplay, enough to add variety but they didn't feel a need for adding guns for the sake of it. The reason they put in Tons of Guns was purely for the gun nuts fans who made it clear they wanted more types. So, gently caress it, have a bunch of sidegrades and some more ammo types to complicate logistics. Doesn't really affect the game overall but it makes some people happy.

EDIT- Also, honestly, JA2 is a 'read the manual' game, like a lot of 90s games. I got mercs murdered for 3 full days before I found the PDF on the disc, and then I learned 'oh, you can make more accurate shooting by right clicking. Also I should talk to people'. I'd recommend finding the manual for it, dunno if it comes on the Steam version or wherever you bought it.

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 21, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That makes sense. I’m not a gun nut but have played enough of these games to at least process the distinctions without too much of a distraction. Anyway, the GOG version does indeed have the manual with all its charming 90s style diegetic narration and graphic design, so I’ll read through it to make sure I’m not missing anything. It’s making me miss my old stack of childhood game manuals from this era, if only I had known 25 years later I’d be kicking myself for not holding onto those big thick beautiful ones from Myth and Warcraft

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Paingod556 posted:

So according to the book about JA2, including interviews with Sir-Tech guys, the devs just wanted the guns to fit into the gameplay, enough to add variety but they didn't feel a need for adding guns for the sake of it. The reason they put in Tons of Guns was purely for the gun nuts fans who made it clear they wanted more types. So, gently caress it, have a bunch of sidegrades and some more ammo types to complicate logistics. Doesn't really affect the game overall but it makes some people happy.

EDIT- Also, honestly, JA2 is a 'read the manual' game, like a lot of 90s games. I got mercs murdered for 3 full days before I found the PDF on the disc, and then I learned 'oh, you can make more accurate shooting by right clicking. Also I should talk to people'. I'd recommend finding the manual for it, dunno if it comes on the Steam version or wherever you bought it.

I had this experience with JA 1

I got it when I was like 14, from a bundle, so I had no manual. And I had never played anything like that, and of course there was no internet either

Serioulsy it took my a while (like weeks) to learn how to travel outside the starting sector

But when JA2 came, I had already finished JA 1 a bunch of times so it was easy to get the basics

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

For context the list I posted was from 1.13. Baseline JA2 is nowhere near that crazy.
In fact JA2 Gold 1.12 (The last official version) didn't even have an AK-47 in it!

code:
AKSU-74       Dmg:26  Rng:20  Single: 5  Burst: 9   5.45mm
AK-74         Dmg:28  Rng:35  Single: 5  Burst: 9   5.45mm
AKM           Dmg:29  Rng:25  Single: 5  Burst: 9   7.62mm WP
I'm fine with JA2 Tons of Guns, but 1.13 is just stupid.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I mean you have pictures and descriptions and stuff to distinguish, plus it's fun to learn & also be able to use most any random gun you can think of.

The differences between are bigger with something like AFS, I admit there aren't that many with vanilla 1.13.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 21, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
1.13 owns all the guns own, inventory tetris owns, LBEs own

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Private Speech posted:

I mean you have pictures and descriptions and stuff to distinguish, plus it's fun to learn & also be able to use most any random gun you can think of.

The differences between are bigger with something like AFS, I admit there aren't that many with vanilla 1.13.

AFS adding are those weird .22LR semi automatics that are they doll up to look like FN SCARs to sell to gamer nerds and mocking you for ordering them to fight an actual war was fun

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

1.13 owns all the guns own, inventory tetris owns, LBEs own

gently caress yeah.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Croccers posted:

For context the list I posted was from 1.13. Baseline JA2 is nowhere near that crazy.
In fact JA2 Gold 1.12 (The last official version) didn't even have an AK-47 in it!

code:
AKSU-74       Dmg:26  Rng:20  Single: 5  Burst: 9   5.45mm
AK-74         Dmg:28  Rng:35  Single: 5  Burst: 9   5.45mm
AKM           Dmg:29  Rng:25  Single: 5  Burst: 9   7.62mm WP
I'm fine with JA2 Tons of Guns, but 1.13 is just stupid.

I know, and I love it because I am that kind of a gamer. 1.13 gives me the MP5/10, USAS-12, XM8 and AICW and all the funky attachments and ammo types.

I recommend not burst firing the AICW 40mm with thermobaric, though. Instant CTD. Still fun though.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
1.13 also has insane gun like Metal Storm which fires 20 bullets per burst, more options for LMG (only Minimi originally), helps extend pistol viability with stuff like Five-Seven. It's cool.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Croccers posted:

What do you mean? All the AK and AK variants are important to feature since they all have totally different and meaningful impact.
(..)

That's because and if I recall correct, the 1.13 nerds aligned the base stats based on caliber. But those stats aren't the only ones. Some of the differences are relatively major things like inbuilt attachments, burst fire bonus/penalty or - in one case - bullets per burst, while some of them are relatively minor like repairability and coolness.

It certainly isn't needed, but 1.13 wasn't ever much about need :shrug:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pingui posted:

That's because and if I recall correct, the 1.13 nerds aligned the base stats based on caliber. But those stats aren't the only ones. Some of the differences are relatively major things like inbuilt attachments, burst fire bonus/penalty or - in one case - bullets per burst, while some of them are relatively minor like repairability and coolness.

It certainly isn't needed, but 1.13 wasn't ever much about need :shrug:
Yeah a bunch of them have a built-in folding/collapsible stock, but the ones that don't have a built-in one all allow attaching a stock to them anyway :v: This actually got me to look at the XML of whatever release of 1.13 I have installed.

The only real difference is the 103 actually is a touch more accurate but the rest of the details are that miniscule (I don't think the AKS-47 is meant to be heavier than the AK-47?). Has anyone leaked secret specs to balance their guns like War Thunder?
I do like extra guns and the weird ones and the prototypes but gawd if it's not sneaking into Gran Turismo Skyline territory, clogging up actual variety.

I love the coolness stat, and mostly how they decided how to rank those.
A PKM is 9
A FN SCAR-H SV is also 9
The HK G11 has a coolness ranking of 8
The Calico M-950 has a coolness of 3
What the hell :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You should try AFS if you like this sort of thing, it's based on an older version but it's worth trying for the extra things it adds. Also it tweaks NCTH workings and gun stats to be more varied (and possibly more accurate depending on which devs you listen to). e: It's a bit hard to find the downloads for a complete build so I'll edit it in below.

Here is the link for it: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xautxcgpzfh33wt/SCI_AFS-1.13_v4.6_%252810.05.2019%2529_on_JA2_v1.13_r8684_g2576.7z/file

Does require tweaking INI settings as well, unless you want a fairly hard game.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 22, 2023