Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Sounds good! Every single one of these types of games are pretty unforgiving in the beginning anyways for the same reasons.

Well, except for when you make your main a dedicated marksman in silent storm. Then it's just not fair for the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apathetic poster
May 8, 2002

by T. Finn

Zigmidge posted:

Sounds good! Every single one of these types of games are pretty unforgiving in the beginning anyways for the same reasons.

Well, except for when you make your main a dedicated marksman in silent storm. Then it's just not fair for the AI.

you're going to end up scavenging more than purchasing for the first week or so, and go to the town of san mona for hidden fun stuff!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Is there any way to add additional mugshots and/or voices to IMP? Even if I could, I probably won't be doing the voices, but... a gimmicky "action hero" playthrough just isn't right without actual mugshots of Charles Bronson and Sylvester Stallone :(

ValueWolf
Dec 15, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

I've never played this before but I am a loving isometric tactical god. From Fallout Tactics to both Silent Storms to those crazy japanese strategy RPGs I think I've played all there is to play but this one.

That being said, can I just dive right into 1.13 ignoring everything you guys are trying to tell me and do just fine? I hate following newbie character sheet guides because I no longer feel like I'm in control of developing my dude(s) and half the fun of these games is figuring out what works and what doesn't and applying them to the following missions.

Disable the Drassen counterattack in the config file -- this is an absolute must for a newbie playthrough.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.

Fire it up fag posted:

Disable the Drassen counterattack in the config file -- this is an absolute must for a newbie playthrough.

If he's decent with Silent Storm and the like I'm sure he'll be fine, the Drassen counterattack is far from unbeatable, I'd just save before taking all of Drassen--and then you can let them take the city and then reclaim it at night with NVGs/Night Ops, this'll also spread out the attack force.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Treylis posted:

the Drassen counterattack is far from unbeatable, I'd just save before taking all of Drassen--and then you can let them take the city and then reclaim it at night with NVGs/Night Ops, this'll also spread out the attack force.

Yeah, it's far from unbeatable if you know what you're doing and you use specific character builds, strategy, and equipment to make it easier. None of which he knows :v:

It's a giant pain in the balls that early in the game and there's a reason it got disabled, so I'd leave it off the first time and turn it on thereafter if you feel like it unless you like hating yourself, in which case do it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

webcomics thread posted:

Capn Beeb I look forward to any weapons addon by you. There's quite a lot of cool guns strangely missing.

Adding weapons is a little odd. Most of the time they work, and show up in Bobby Ray's shop. Sometimes though, they just don't want to appear at all.

That said, my belt fed shotgun sure is hilarious.

Hilariously broken. :haw: Of course I need five drums to fill the drat thing, but adding ammo types and magazines seems to work just fine. There's some interesting values you can apply to custom ammo. Cold SAP? Not sure what that is. Depleted Uranium? Well, I sure haven't seen that laying around! Want 7.62 HEAT? Go for it!

Also, making armor works as well, save for one instance when a helmet would not show up at all, ever. I'm doing some experimenting with weapons and items, and to make sure I don't go down in a flurry of .38 Special, I made my own vest, leggings, plate, and leg protectors.

361% armor index and max camo. That's pretty game breaking, not to mention my maxed stats :v: But what's great about JA2 here is it still manages to be fun and let you play however you want.

I've also made my own LBE gear, but it's... kinda broken. I need to figure out which pocket field is where on the inventory screen. Right now I'm thinking about making a new 40mm leg panel that can hold an M79 and maybe twice as many grenades :v:

Also of note; as far as I can tell new items do NOT show up in Bobby's shop until you start an entirely new game. Maybe I'm missing a value somewhere, I don't know. I really wish I could just go to the website first thing, buy my gear, and have it equipped when I drop into Omerta. Playing around with the IMP merc gear tables got some results, except I don't spawn with a gun at all. But I think I know what I broke there.

Above all else, using the XML table editor makes adding new poo poo REALLY easy.

Edit:

Hurf, I'm a retard. I was editing the IMP gear table wrong. Instead of setting it to one item in the first item slot, it picks which item to use based on whatever skill applies to that slot. This is wrong!

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=133180&page=1#Post133180

Of course, now I'm tempted to start all over AGAIN to see if I can fix my table.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 14, 2009

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Okay I'll take that one bit of advice! Installing this badboy now.

Can't wait, I've been itching for some tactical goodness lately. I hear there's a 3d version in the works too which is what this genre needs a lot more of. 3 dimensions and destructible everything like silent storm.

*edit* And not completely lovely like the UFO series

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 14, 2009

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Zigmidge posted:

Can't wait, I've been itching for some tactical goodness lately. I hear there's a 3d version in the works too which is what this genre needs a lot more of. 3 dimensions and destructible everything like silent storm.

Silent Storm kicked so much rear end but 3D seems to cause everyone trouble. Most of the other 3D tactical games are pretty crappy.

Beeb how about a shotgun leg holster for the Serbu shorty? That six inch tromix Saiga? An Eagle CIRAS? Everything from the TacticLOL thread?

Why isn't there a drum magazine adaptor for shotguns :(

Carecat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 14, 2009

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
On the topic of weapon mods, needs more minigun. Or to be able to fire both of the sawn-off shotgun barrels at once, true hollywood style.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge is basically a 3D JA2 as it was originally known as Jagged Alliance 3D, before Strategy First pulled the developer's rights to the series. The game was envisioned from the start as a 3D remake of Jagged Alliance 2. I haven't played it, but it apparently does this decently enough, even after they had to change the setting, but it's buggy as hell and has none of the cool features of 1.13.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm getting an application error when I try to run any of the editor executables. I can play the game just fine otherwise but it sounds like I really want to get these working so I can turn off the Drassen counterattacks.

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Press ok to terminate"

*edit* I guess you can ignore this. I found Ja2_Options.cfg in the 1.13 folder. Seems to have everything I need in there.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 14, 2009

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

webcomics thread posted:

Beeb how about a shotgun leg holster for the Serbu shorty? And an Eagle CIRAS? Everything from the TacticLOL thread?

Why isn't there a drum magazine adaptor for shotguns :(

Leg holster is certainly doable, all you're limited to is what you can think of and the fussiness of the game deciding if it'll load it properly or not. I'm looking around for a chart or something that tells me what size item goes in what pocket size on LBE gear, which would really help me fine tune custom LBE gear for the play style/loadout I have in mind.

Also, I have NO idea where sprite data is stored, or how to make custom sprites/item images. It's not necessary of course, but it'd be a nice touch.

As for drum fed shotguns, all you have to do is up the capacity of the magazine. That's it :)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That was the best intro I've ever seen in 2009

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Did you see this Beeb?

http://ja2v113.pbwiki.com/Item-Making%20Tutorial

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah, I found that after I made my first gun with the table editor. Using the editor is worlds easier than typing in values by hand :shobon:

ValueWolf
Dec 15, 2004

Treylis posted:

If he's decent with Silent Storm and the like I'm sure he'll be fine, the Drassen counterattack is far from unbeatable, I'd just save before taking all of Drassen--and then you can let them take the city and then reclaim it at night with NVGs/Night Ops, this'll also spread out the attack force.

Nah, it's going to start the game as a horrendous quicksave-reload-adjust-reload-adjust-reload festival rather than an actual legitimate turn based 'experience'. It's fairly dumb to say that experience with other games will make it a manageable for new players because it requires a lot of knowledge in order to beat without what is essentially cheating.

It's a pain even for experienced players.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I gotta be honest I'm more than used to that kind of thing with these kinds of games. We've all done gimmick runs of our favourite tacticals and we all know what that's like.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

God dammit, I can make my IMP merc spawn with everything I possibly want EXCEPT a gun. This is annoying :(

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Burning Mustache posted:

This will display lots of information about that tile, such as the range from your currently selcted merc to that tile, his gun range, and, among other things, the brightness of that tile on a scale of 0 - 15, allthough 3/15 is the darkest a tile can get in an outdoor level at night. Ideally, your mercs should always move on tiles no brighter than this.

1/15 and 2/15 lighting can only happen during storms and rainshowers at night. 1/15 is quite funny because without NVGs you can only see 3-4 tiles.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge is basically a 3D JA2 as it was originally known as Jagged Alliance 3D, before Strategy First pulled the developer's rights to the series. The game was envisioned from the start as a 3D remake of Jagged Alliance 2. I haven't played it, but it apparently does this decently enough, even after they had to change the setting, but it's buggy as hell and has none of the cool features of 1.13.

I don't think any tactical game will ever match JA2. A big part of what makes the game so awesome is the writing: things like the merc characterizations, and the sheer volume of dry wit and humor that went into everything from merc quips and item descriptions to the e-mails mercs send you if you leave them a voice mail. Writing of that quality is a rare talent, especially in the video games biz. Case in point, this Hired Guns screenshot:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ceyton posted:

1/15 and 2/15 lighting can only happen during storms and rainshowers at night. 1/15 is quite funny because without NVGs you can only see 3-4 tiles.

I don't think any tactical game will ever match JA2. A big part of what makes the game so awesome is the writing: things like the merc characterizations, and the sheer volume of dry wit and humor that went into everything from merc quips and item descriptions to the e-mails mercs send you if you leave them a voice mail. Writing of that quality is a rare talent, especially in the video games biz. Case in point, this Hired Guns screenshot:

I would be glad if tactical games like these didn't even give me a big story. Give me some weapons, a setting and goal and lemme at 'em! God knows that would have resulted in a silent storm being built around no panzerkleins.

*Edit* I will admit the writing in JA2 is fantastic and all I've done is read my IMP profile.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 14, 2009

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ceyton posted:

I've often felt that if JA2 came with some kind of effective random map/campaign generator, I would never stop playing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

God dammit, I can make my IMP merc spawn with everything I possibly want EXCEPT a gun. This is annoying :(

Potential workaround: Can you make it spawn in a specific location in Omerta? You could plop a chest directly next to your helo drop point.

Failing that just make that KAC PDW not suck as much. Of course that'll make it ... interesting when your enemies use them :v:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Psion posted:

Failing that just make that KAC PDW not suck as much. Of course that'll make it ... interesting when your enemies use them :v:

This is my main concern with making explosives not suck rear end :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

webcomics thread posted:

Honestly I do it anyway because the anemic explosives are absurd. When my BB gun of a pistol manages to outdamage heavy frag grenades, you know something's wrong.

If you want to make the most of your explosives though, use thermobaric rounds. They're nasty pieces of work. The enemies, I have found, tend not to use them, though.

Anyway I forget what variable I have it bumped to at home but I'll check - it's powerful enough that explosives hurt, and they hurt a LOT, but my pretty heavily armored mercs don't get one-shot killed from them. It's a good sweet spot. I think it's 160%-ish? Basically it makes them useful without getting me murdered.

Or just make a secondary attack squad which is nothing but two mortarmen and at least two ammunition mules. Have your main team go off and do damage across the map, and if they run into resistance, call in your own pocket artillery. It's almost cheating, it's so unfair.

apathetic poster
May 8, 2002

by T. Finn
is there something i'm forgetting that makes the drassen counterattack extra lovely

because i usually stay in drassen and train up a full compliment of militia before i go to chitzena/alma. i also don't remember ever having a problem with enemies attacking liberated towns, especially when you have hamous, dmitri, and ira pulling rear duty in the ice cream truck

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yaaay I fixed it! Now to test if I can spawn with custom made guns. Since my marksman level is 100, I had to put the item in slot 10. Progress!

webcomics thread posted:

You could always make your own explosive item :3:

Edit:

OR you could load the EnemyItems table, and take away all their explosive goodies. poo poo you could be a total rear end and deck them out in nothing but I <3 Dedriana t-shirts, fur hats, and chem lights.

Edit 2:

I'm such a nerd, I'm putting Noveske rifles in the game. :sweatdrop:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 14, 2009

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

apathetic poster posted:

is there something i'm forgetting that makes the drassen counterattack extra lovely

because i usually stay in drassen and train up a full compliment of militia before i go to chitzena/alma. i also don't remember ever having a problem with enemies attacking liberated towns, especially when you have hamous, dmitri, and ira pulling rear duty in the ice cream truck

In the 1.13 patch they upped the size and toughness of the Drassen counter-attack to the point of retardation. I believe the counter-attack has around 15-20 guys in it when I played last and some of them had decent weapons. Provided you weren't holding back to wait for guns to arrive from Bobby Rays, you would a shotgun and maybe a few pistols and they would have a few guys with rifles and shotguns. Unless you waited to train a full stack of militia, you probably wouldn't survive the counter-attack.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

In the 1.13 patch they upped the size and toughness of the Drassen counter-attack to the point of retardation. I believe the counter-attack has around 15-20 guys in it when I played last and some of them had decent weapons. Provided you weren't holding back to wait for guns to arrive from Bobby Rays, you would a shotgun and maybe a few pistols and they would have a few guys with rifles and shotguns. Unless you waited to train a full stack of militia, you probably wouldn't survive the counter-attack.

It had much more than 20 guys, somewhere to the tune of 40+ guys if you left the full counter-attack on. Turning off the counter attack in the ini doesn't outright disable it, but tunes it down to about 10-15 guys attacking the city afterwards.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It had much more than 20 guys, somewhere to the tune of 40+ guys if you left the full counter-attack on. Turning off the counter attack in the ini doesn't outright disable it, but tunes it down to about 10-15 guys attacking the city afterwards.

Yup, it's pretty miserable so I leave it off. Fight 2-3 waves of 20 bad guys is not fun with pistols and shotguns at best.

Just remember it's on by default when you install the 1.13 fan patch.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

apathetic poster posted:

If you are playing vanilla then you won't see it as it is in 1.13.

If you are playing 1.13 the Drassen CA is comprised of about 60 enemies. Mix of redshirt and grayshirt. There are ways of making it doable, but they can range from cheese to taking advantage of knowing the CA is coming.

I prefer the latter since huge fights are awesome, but waiting on 40+ militia to take their turn can be tedious.

blurg, I type slow.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.

Psion posted:

Yeah, it's far from unbeatable if you know what you're doing and you use specific character builds, strategy, and equipment to make it easier. None of which he knows :v:

It's a giant pain in the balls that early in the game and there's a reason it got disabled, so I'd leave it off the first time and turn it on thereafter if you feel like it unless you like hating yourself, in which case do it.

Fire it up fag posted:

Nah, it's going to start the game as a horrendous quicksave-reload-adjust-reload-adjust-reload festival rather than an actual legitimate turn based 'experience'. It's fairly dumb to say that experience with other games will make it a manageable for new players because it requires a lot of knowledge in order to beat without what is essentially cheating.

It's a pain even for experienced players.

Hey, it's not like he self-described himself as an "isometric tactical god" or anything. If you do it the spoilered method it doesn't require any cheating whatsoever and is amazingly easy compared to slugging it out straight-up.

Without any real specific knowledge of the game you can also do it by setting up the ol' turn-based strategy tunnel of death in the barber shop or bar, which is exactly what I did the first time. And that's the charming thing about TBS--you have all the time in the world to think about what the best course of action should be.

EDIT: just to be clear this is purely because of the "god" thing, if he'd said he was middling with the genre or something I'd not have advised it

etalian posted:

Yup, it's pretty miserable so I leave it off. Fight 2-3 waves of 20 bad guys is not fun with pistols and shotguns at best.

A simple retrograde maneuver and you'll not have to deal with those waves.

Treylis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 14, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rex Deckard posted:

I prefer the latter since huge fights are awesome, but waiting on 40+ militia to take their turn can be tedious.

blurg, I type slow.

This is why you turn on the quick turn feature for militia and citizens! It's near the bottom of the ini.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Anyone know how to turn JPGs into sprites the game can use? I'd like to add PMAGs for the 5.56 weapons.

Edit:

gently caress yes, spawning with custom guns is go!

PRODUCT PLACEMENT

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-145p-556&cat=51&page=1&search=&since=&status=

:neckbeard:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 14, 2009

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

This is why you turn on the quick turn feature for militia and citizens! It's near the bottom of the ini.

Is that a new feature, I sure do not remember that from the last version I played but I think that was a version from about 1 year ago?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Making some new weapons, I'm noticing sprites I haven't seen in the game before, like a minigun (helllll yesss) and what I think was an IMI Lone Eagle. Are these in the game and I haven't seen them or are they just unused?

LvK fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 15, 2009

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I did the counterattack without super cheesing it; I had like three guys in the church and another bunch all around on rooftops. I think I lost one crappy merc and just accepted it, but aside from a ton of healing left to do afterwards (and every single militia I managed to train dying), I survived. 3 waves of ~60 dudes total.

This was with eight or so mercs, maybe a few days worth of militia, and "enemies drop items" set to on, so I had some decent SMGs by that point.

That said, I will never, ever do that again. That and allowing either side to reinforce sectors totally sucks. I hate invading a sector and being outnumbered in the first place, only to find that five turns in 20 more guys have flanked me simply because they arrived late.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Capn Beeb posted:

gently caress yes, spawning with custom guns is go!

Could you tell me how to do this? Custom guns aren't necessary, just ones in the game to start with. I think I could get into the game easier if I didn't start with utter poo poo.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Treylis posted:

Hey it sounds like we can't swallow a little hyperbole or enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I have never found the Drassen CA to be all that horrible tbh.
Admittedly I don't usually play on the hardest level, Expert is the one after Experienced, right? If so, then Expert and Iron Man.

I like to position my mercs on a rooftop somewhere, cover all directions and just pick 'em off as they come. You should be away from the edge so you're harder to hit and pick at them from afar. This means you'll have a blind circle around the house and there might be exciting turns of "holy poo poo, three guys climbed up and I interrupted and only one guy has points left" in which case you should have known better and not spent everything. Don't worry, it'll be hard enough even if you did save points.

I tend to clear omerta solo, drassen airport with only the IMP and Ira and do the CA with four-five mercs, including IMP and Rebel and usually those cheap rear end meatbags from MERC. Gumpy has high wis so he'll skill up so fast it'll hurt you, Flo is close in wis and Biff sucks so hard he is funny to use as meatshield + gives morale bonus to Flo (don't let him die, Flo will eat your face).

Then again, maybe I am doing something wrong. I don't think I've seen more than 45-50 oppos in the CA. My lategame killerteam usually ends up consisting of the IMP and free/cheap mercs with long-range capable weapons (IMP usually with sniper + G11 for cc) and suckers like Dynamo and Shank on backup duty, I'll have money in the hundreds of thousands for buying more toys that I can possibly carry and I like daytime sniping missions as opposed to the ninja "sneak-jam a 'nade into your rear end on a moonless night so fast you won't notice" most here seem to enjoy. Or not?

I think I might have to reinstall JA2 tomorrow. :(