Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

germskr posted:

Pretty good. I skimmed over it and I didn't see any horrible outlandish statements like you would most likely find on Ken Rockwell's site.

Is there some kind of list of Ken Rockwell's BS? I've found him to be a decent reference for SOME things, as long as you understand that he's got his head stuck really far up his rear end and take most of what he says with a grain of salt. But I'd like to get a better sense of just how much of it is a load of crap, and how much of it is actually useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Works for me. Thanks guys.

I'm not a great fan of RAW myself, but I'm sure I'll find it much more useful once I start building up my skills, especially if I'm doing more intense post-processing. And I'm certainly not going to go around calling it useless.

Cythrelo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 30, 2009

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
In Photoshop, try the sponge tool set to desaturate, and decrease the flow to something that won't make her completely monochrome with a single pass.

EDIT: ^^ His idea is better.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Definitely go for the Windows computer and use the money you save (in both the short and long term) on more photography equipment.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006

brad industry posted:

To keep this LR specific, I would go with a Mac simply because it is easier to manage multiple displays in OS X whereas in Windows it is kind of a nightmare and you always have to deal with driver issues and the loving godawful color management. LR has a ton of awesome multiple display features and they are far easier to manage in OS X.

With Vista, it's extremely easy. I've used Vista with both ATI and nVidia cards, and setting up multiple displays is as simple as plugging them in and setting it to extend your desktop across both displays. Not only that, but unless there's an issue with it that I don't know about, color management works just fine with multiple monitors.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006

FunkyJunk posted:

I use Vista at work on a fairly new (6 months or so) Dell Latitude 630 and it's a piece of poo poo, including multiple monitors. It crashes at least once a day, has all sorts of driver problems, and when I undock the laptop from an external monitor, the OS forgets where my desktop icons are and what my calibrations settings are. When I redock it, Vista forgets where the laptop monitor should be in relation to the external monitor and what my calibration settings should be and again strews my icons all over the desktop.

My Macbook never does anything of the sort when plugging/unplugging from an external monitor.

Except for the icon issue, your problems are with Dell, not Microsoft. Especially the driver issues, which is probably what is causing the crashes. With good drivers from a good manufacturer, Vista is rock-solid.

Anyway, this isn't SHSC, so I'll leave it at this: The most economical option for a computer to run Lightroom/Photoshop is a Windows Vista PC. It will do exactly what you need it to do at a fraction of the cost of the Mac. Unless you really have a strong preference for the Mac's interface, or you feel the intense need to spend more money than you have to, then you're better off with the PC.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006

brad industry posted:

You calibrate all your displays individually and have profiles for each? And it all works as advertised? Because every single PC user I know (which I will admit is not that many) has bitched and moaned about Vista's color management and driver problems similar to what FunkyJunk said.

While I do use two identical monitors, I've never had a problem using different colour profiles for each. It all works exactly like it should for me.

Maybe it's the difference between custom-building your own (using stable drivers straight from the hardware manufacturers) and buying a pre-built one with pre-installed drivers that's causing the differing opinions here? Pre-built manufacturers tend to vary WILDLY, but if you're building your own, it's usually pretty consistent.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
I looked around and couldn't find a more appropriate thread I could post this question in, so I hope this is the right one.

I'm calibrating my monitors with a Pantone Huey Pro, and my desktop's LCDs calibrate just fine, but when I try it on my laptop, I get a horrible green tint to everything. The desktop is running Vista 64-bit with an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+, and the laptop is running Windows 7 64-bit with Intel GMA 4500M integrated graphics. The LCDs are matte and the laptop screen is glossy.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? The Huey Pro software says that it works with Vista and 7 64-bit, and since it worked perfectly with my desktop, I doubt it's a problem with the calibrator itself.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
There's something to be said for dropping around $300 for a monitor - that's about what it costs to get an IPS panel (important for being able to look at the monitor at an angle without your colours going all funny) with 100% sRGB coverage. Some of them even come pre-calibrated so you're getting the best calibration straight out of the factory.

Seems a little absurd to spend much more than that though, unless you are actually a working professional and you need spot-on AdobeRGB coverage for print work.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006

RangerScum posted:

Because you get to act like you're better than everyone else.

No, really, the two reasons to use a Mac are 1) you value your computer's design and aesthetics over money and 2) you are computer illiterate and you need something very simple and clean to keep from getting confused. Another truth about them is that the standard monitors they are packaged with are traditionally better than the standard monitors packaged with most PCs.

Edit: However, for as little as $2,300 you can remedy this issue.

Performance wise, it's much cheaper to build a much faster PC.

:can:

I like to just chalk it down to personal preference and not start debates about Mac v. PC. Please. Please.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006

Version 2: "We moved the red border to the outside edge of the bezel to prevent colour distortion at the edges of the screen. INNOVATION."

I hear it's gonna have image stabilization for a $1000 premium, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

I'm getting some pretty noticeable purple fringing when I use my supertele. No surprises there, but I can't figure out how to reduce or eliminate it. Some places online have suggested the chromatic aberation settings in Lightroom (I have LR 3.6), but I played with those sliders and couldn't seen any changes, probably because my subject, a Kingfisher, is in the middle of the frame and I wasn't paying attention to the edges.

Any suggestions? I have Lightroom 3.6, and the GIMP.

Do you have any purple elements in the scene? If not, go to HSL panel, click Saturation and bring the slider down on either purple or magenta (whichever is more effective) until the fringing disappears. As long as the fringes aren't too big, this shouldn't end up looking weird, but you can try playing with the luminance slider too if you want.

• Locked thread