Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

To add to that each bar of a histogram's just a quantity of all pixels in a photo at that value, so it can tell you nothing about location and distribution of those colors within the photo. The only way you could spot a cast purely via histogram would be if the histogram was drawn from only a white or neutral subsection of the photo (I mean white or neutral in reality). And at that point, you're basically doing what a camera does when you manually set the white balance from a white card.

So you could try being more anal than most about manually setting your white balance using a white/grey card, that'd prevent a lot of color casts prior to post. For posed or fixed shots with mixed lighting you could take an initial shot that includes a white card in each of the types of light (i.e. sunlight & shade), then under photoshop set the gray points from them accordingly. I can think of a way to merge the two white balances "color-blindly", but it'd be maddening to describe in words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Straightening a photo- This might be obvious to everyone but me, but before I was shown it I'd straighten pics using transform/rotate. I did it by eye before I learned about the rulers, but even with rulers using rotate leaves a skewed square photo with the background colors at the corners, which you then have to crop out anyway.

You can do it all at once, quickly, using photoshop's crop tool as guide, rotater and cropper.

Step 0: Turn off "snap to" if it's on, it'll drive you nuts on steps 5/6.

Take your crooked-rear end photo.
1: Stretch out the window that borders your photo so you have some workspace around it.
2: Hit 'c' or click to activate the crop tool. With the workspace around your photo you can sloppily click anywhere in the corner around the photo and drag it diagonally to select the entire photo with the cropper.

3: Find something in your pic you want level. In this case it's the horizon, which is nearest the top edge, so drag the top horizontal of the crop tool down until the center square is dead on the horizon. The pic here has a ship in the way, so I ended up making sure that the distance between the crop line and horizon looked equal on both ends.

4: Hover over the corner of the crop selection till the cursor turns into the rotate glyph. Rotate the crop until it's in line with what you want level.

Hard to describe, easy to do. You want to expand the crop out so it's as large as possible without going past the bounds of your image. Grab a corner (5a), using this you can manipulate both it and 5b so that they meet the edges of your photo, minimizing how much you'll lose with the crop. Grab the opposite corner (6a) and do the same.

7: Slap Return.
eets straight:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Adobe Camera Raw is easier. Just use the "straighten" tool, draw a line on any line you want to be horizontal or vertical and it straightens and crops automatically (if you want, it won't crop if you tell it not to.

drat your fancy softwares, time hasn't passed on my computer since PS7 :saddowns:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

IsaacNewton posted:

Contribution; You seem to have forgot to note that you have to change the high pass layer render type to Overlay (I guessed), I may be blind though.
He used "soft light" instead, and I wouldn't mind an explanation (non-mathematical) of the difference between the two.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

^^^ that would'nt work for me, I suck at painting.

IsaacNewton posted:

It's true, and that's all I can see now that you mentioned it. Argh!

What would you guys do to select the area around hairy / furry things? I tried to mask out the background but the white snow is hard to distinguish from the dog with the colour channel shenanigan, is there a trick to it?

I'd try curves or levels adjustments on the mask. Like in your case you might be able to use the fact that the fur along his outline is slightly darker than the snow behind him, maybe increase the contrast between the two with a curve (so the fur comes out black/dark gray and the snow white/light gray) and then invert. Don't worry about anything but distinguishing the furry edges around him at first; you can easily paint the rest black and white by hand. Also keep in mind that you can select and treat different parts of the mask differently depending on what distinguishes the edge.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Does flickr change the color space of your images? I just switched back to shooting raw and I'm noticing that the images that I upload to flickr don't look nearly as vibrant as they do in PS.

I don't think flickr touches your uploads, but not all browsers are guaranteed to properly display anything but sRGB. Whatever you're working with, convert (don't assign) it to sRGB before saving for web use. I've accidentally uploaded AdobeRGB shots to flickr, and under firefox the reds are noticeably hosed up.

Side note, while raw has no inherent color space I know at least Pentax raw files contain a flag or something telling their raw conversion software which colorspace to dump, as set on-camera. You can override that behavior with the raw converter software.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2009

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

Would it be a strict conversion exercise or postprocessing in general?

Yeah I'd hope for general post, one RAW with The loose guideline of "process to taste" would probably make for more variety/artistry. Unless by strict you mean a specified task, like "Convert this to B&W" or "make the colors pop" or "clean this poo poo up". I suppose that could be interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Everyone submit Pentax raws so I can play :saddowns:

(seriously though is there anything free out there that can convert between the common big 3 RAW files?)

• Locked thread