Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

I can't say I know much about post-processing, but I do know that I love digital grain. Here's my super basic Lightroom method for getting lots of it without washing out your image:

Greyscale your RAW image.

Click here for the full 800x536 image.

Exaggerate the contrast with the Curves menu. We're aiming for the highlights to look alright but the blacks to be totally clipped.

Reclaim all that lost data with the Fill Light function.

The result:
(I hate the composition on this image but it was a good example for this)

duck pond fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

I've found using the vignette and messing around with the Vibrance and Saturation (i.e., turning them down) while upping contrast in Lightroom goes a long way toward creating the feel of film. Just keeping it real simple.

There's also a lot of harsh on-camera flash being used in Richardson and Teller's pictures, as well. Holding the camera in portrait mode can exaggerate this by creating a slight but distinct horizontal shadow.

• Locked thread