Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a dslr noobs and am looking for recommendations for post processing software, the nikon software that came with my camera seems to be hot garbage, move the ev to +.3? Here have a poo poo load of noise. Oh was that a crop? Here have some free grain at no additional cost to you.

Are there any other suggestions for mild adjustment to raw .nef files besides lightroom? I mean 150 just seems steep considering it's more than 50% of what I spent on my camera and lens.

If that's it I'll bite the bullet and buy it but sheeyat son 150 is like a set of racing pedals for my other $$$ hobby.

Ia the subscription based adobe stuff worth a drat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean um not entirely committed to adobe products, anything would be a learning curve, I last purchased photoshop probably 10 years ago for school so it's all changed up from what I'm use to.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Giving Lightroom a Try, and trying my hand at a generic photo I took. I think it looks okay but maybe overdone a bit? I mean overally I'm pretty happy with the original, but I could see how LR can help make it stand out a bit.
I tried a few of the sites in the OP but the one was just a single picture, and the other site seemed to be mostly Photoshop related.

Edited

Original

edit: Had original and edited swapped

edit2: I also played with Lightzone a bunch and see some advantages to it, I really liked being able to draw a path and apply things to that mask, I had a pic of child with sun beaming down and I fixed some of the overblown cheeks with some creative white balance edits (made it warm), Maybe LR has it and I just haven't gotten there yet. I can see how once you really get the hang of all 3 (PS, LR, LZ) you can spend an hour+ messing with a single pic.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 21, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

murk posted:

As someone who usually over processes, I think you've over done it a tad. Also, as far as selectively applying.. you are probably looking for Adjustment Brushes in Lightroom.

I like the brushes in light room, something that light zone misses, but i suck at brushes, I can at least adjust the path afterwards, I used the brush to get the sky a bit bluer.

I agree that it looks a bit overprocessed, I saw a lot of the LR tutorial folks pushing sliders to 55 or more. I'll give it another whack.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tell me if I"m making GBS threads up this thread or not.

Tried my hand again and did more subtle changes, Left the sky alone but used the spot mask/adjustment tool to make some adjustments to the dark trees on the left. I would try it with the rest, with proabably a 2nd adjustment brush to lighten up a tad since it's brighter. Didn't feel like all that brushwork though. Plus due to making the mistake of shooting this I think at ISO 1000 it's got a fair bit of grain so I don't feel like brushing all that for a picture i"m most likely not going to print. I"m just trying to get a general idea since I'd like to do some work on pictures of my kids to give to my mom for her birthday.

edit: I guess I"d also maybe soften up the hard red on the boat near the concrete on the lower left.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 21, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wrong thread

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I took that boring pic fully knowing it had about 0 interesting features in it. I still need to figure out "interesting"

The ones I'm working on are of my kids but I'm not tossing them up online in an open forum. I made good progress and changes with the ones I have done, juat subtle changes, healing some items etc. I need one more of my son since all the ones I have are of him with his back turned running away.

Tonight I'm trying out aftershot pro trial to see how that works instead of LR and PS

Edit: here have a pixelized face pic of something I consider finished for the most part.. I haven't done the fine detail look yet in this capture. The dirt on the knee, and dark spots on the girls leg were healed out, as well as the scratches on the slide. I realize her hand is blurry and in a prefect world I"d retake the pic with a faster shuter, I thought I was 1/250 but instead I was 1/100/

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 24, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Your next best option is lightzone, gimp is not a photo post processing software.

Edit or aftershot pro.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can't remember but if you sign up for a 14 day trial of some really expensive training website you can get lr/PS CC for 7.99 a month. I use it for at least 2-3 hours a month so it's worth it for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean it is a pretty sweet idea.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get a fairly capable Asus q304 or q504. For the cost of an iPad pro.. not quite as portable but it's a full on laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah my issue is I know LR and feel I can do some decent quick edits and exports for whatever the use is in a matter of a frew mins. I just want the 9.99 a month Lightroom where I have local files I have my own offset backup solution, I'm not a big fan of putting poo poo on the cloud.

• Locked thread