Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is there any way to get LR CC and LR Mobile to import photos from my iOS devices to a folder/drive of my choosing instead of some bizarre-rear end hidden folder that's only accessible by selecting "show in finder" from within LR? Seriously, the folder's impossible to get to from simply going through the Finder (OS X). It's basically unacceptable for how I work/do my backups.

I synched a collection of pictures from my phone, was confused by what I saw, angrily tried to research a solution, gave up, and then: moved them all manually into my "LR photos" folder by opening up two Finder windows, erased their now-exclamation marked previews from LR, and then re-imported them from the new location.

Otherwise I guess I'll just do it through Dropbox and move them into LR CC manually or whatever but that's basically trading a huge pain in the rear end for a smaller pain in the rear end, and not at all the elegant solution that Adobe promised.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't suppose LR6 allows you to zoom in while using the straighten tool, does it? That's been bothering me for a long time, along with CC it's what has convinced me Adobe actually hates its customers.

OH MY GOD, RIGHT?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Geektox posted:

Just edit the JPG

This. RAW is definitely the more advisable way to go, but a good looking, well-edited photo won't have people noticing what file type you started with.

For somebody to be like "...and you imported this as a JPEG, didn't you" you'd have to drop the ball in a few other notable ways first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jackpot posted:

The problem I run into is one of the machines is my work computer, and they've locked me out of using any kind of outside networking or dropbox-ish tools. Basically I can copy anything I want onto this computer, but if I want to copy a file off it's gotta be something I can email to myself. So it's a very manual process.

Just use a different computer. That feels like the sort of obstruction that would absolutely kill my productivity and ability to do anything really meaningful. If the issue is that you have a desktop and a work laptop then even a relatively inexpensive notebook with older components will likely run the software fine and enable you to get more done than a brand new, kitted-out work laptop hobbled by security restrictions.

Grab a refurb 2013 MacBook Air for $500 or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is stuff like VSCO presets cool in the field or is it seen as chump poo poo (seriously not trying to judge)?

On the one hand, I could see an 'artistic integrity' argument against buying preset filters and curves with intended looks, much in the same way that a lot of synthesizer players look down on artists who use factory-supplied or purchased presets in songs.

On the other, one could make the argument that the only thing really separating a photographer choosing a VSCO pack for its intended look and a photographer choosing a specific brand and speed of film for its intended look is the cost and convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thetzar posted:

You don't name a product 'classic' if you intend to care a lot about it.

Coca Cola tried this tack once....

• Locked thread