Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Since we're all talking about Lightroom, is anyone else's Flickr publishing service completely slow Lightroom to a halt? If you open the Flickr tab, the whole program becomes nearly unresponsive. As soon as you close the tab, it's back to normal. Checking the task manager, I see that lightroom.exe is eating up 100% of a CPU core with the Flickr publish service thingy open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this is the right thread for this type of question, but my lightroom library is a mess (everything in different folders for each camera). I'd like to consolidate everything and rely on metadata instead of file structure.

The problem is that I have quite a bit of edits saved for many photos, and I also have hundreds of photos to move around. I would like it if I could somehow move the photos but preserve the lightroom edits, and also restructure the folders at the same time. Basically I want to apply import settings to photos that are already in my library.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to bulk re-organize photos. If my only option is to remove all of the photos and re-import them, I worry lightroom will forget the edits I have made.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was hoping there was a non manual way to do it

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Backblaze $5/mo for unlimited cloud backup, and you can use your own encryption keys if you are paranoid.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

That only backs up things on your hard drive though, right? The way I read it on their site, if you delete files to free up space on your HD it will mirror that to their online backup.

Correct, though I am not sure how it works if you plug in an external drive, back it up, then unplug it indefinitely.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Curves are used when you want to adjust specific highlights, midtones, or shadows without affecting an entire broad range. The sliders do the same thing but they affect a larger range of tones and you might not want that.

If you want an easy way to learn how to use curves and get a feeling for what they do, in lightroom, just click the little circle icon in the top left of the palette:

Then you can simply click anywhere on your image, then drag up or down to see the effect. And of course, you can choose whether you want to do this across all channels or any specific color channel.

I find this way more intuitive than adjusting the curve manually.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
In photography money, lightroom is basically free

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I took a bunch of photos of my kid, one per month, sitting in the same chair since birth to his first birthday. They all have slightly different exposure settings, because I was using available light and some days were cloudier than others, so not every photo looks the same. Is there a smart way to match the color and contrast of each photo so I can get them all in the same general ballpark? Using Lightroom? Or do I just have to do this by eye?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Just buy a larger hard drive. 12 GB is nothing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I noticed no increase or decrease in the UI performance, which is a bummer, because I was hoping I would see a slight improvement. Oh well.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It's not news that Adobe is terrible. I think they hand all of their account management and installer related stuff off to the interns to develop. I couldn't upgrade my Lightroom yesterday because I had to download an update for the CC client first. It kept failing to download, and after hours of googling and back and forth with support, I ended up having to dig through a box of old computer parts to find a different wifi adapter. Turns out for some unknown reason, my wifi adapter was preventing me from downloading their update and only changing my hardware solved the problem. Of course this has only ever been an issue with Adobe. Hundreds of others have had this same issue, if you google Adobe installer error 205.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 22, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Saint Fu posted:

I just export it all to a folder on the desktop, do whatever I need to do with them, then delete the folder with the exports.

same

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

If you want something very lightweight and nondestructive you can try using -5 or -10 (no more!) on the Clarity slider in Lightroom, and combine it with maybe -5 Vibrance or Saturation depending on the colors in the photo and your subject's skin tones.

It'll be subtle but makes a difference. If you apply too much it'll look like a 90s glamour shot, so don't do that. Most people using the clarity slider for this way overdo it, the trick is subtlety.

The soften skin brush he is using already effectively does this (negative clarity), except you can control it with brush strokes rather than applying it to the whole image. :)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Don't include your export folder as one of your photo library sources

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I can't update any of my adobe products because the creative cloud app errors out every time. the only way i can upgrade is if i completely wipe my computer of everything adobe using adobe's own cleaner tool, and then reinstalling it from scratch hoping that I get the latest version. updates never work for me, and never have

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Don't Use The Clarity Slider

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I haven't had problems with the apps themselves but the installer is the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen. I have never once been able to successfully update photoshop or lightroom yet.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
A photo is fixed if you say it is, which is entirely up to you.

I would open the HSL panel and reduce the saturation of orange or yellow just enough to remove the color cast. Can you adjust HSL as a brush? I'd actually prefer that in case a global adjustment negatively affects other parts of the image besides the dress.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Is there the same, but for film camera bodies?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how to actually use VSCO presets in Lightroom as they intended? They have develop presets, camera presets, and curves presets. They all seem to have the same film stock names (for example there's a Portra 400 setting for each type of preset). Are you only supposed to use one type? Use them all together? Are you supposed to use the Nikon presets when you have a Nikon camera? I am probably overthinking this but I've always been curious why they include so many different options.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I just noticed it automatically applies the camera profile when you choose a develop preset. It also applies a custom curves setting, but there are actual separate curves presets too. My guess is you can apply the curves presets individually without applying everything else.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for professionals but I use it for stuff that I'm gonna upload to facebook as quickly as possible. Like if I'm shooting random snapshots at a family event, I'll usually slap on a filter, dial it back a bit, and then call it done

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
My guess is they're copying the person to a new layer then clone brushing the person out of the original layer, then applying the motion blur

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Ask yourself why are you making those adjustments in the first place? To me, the photo doesn't need anything other than maybe a slight bump in the shadows to bring out some detail in the trees. You can do this with the shadows slider and don't need to touch brushes at all. You're overthinking it. It's also not a very interesting photo to begin with and no amount of editing will make it more interesting.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That scenario is what the graduated filter tool is for

https://vimeo.com/37860682

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Except Adobe actually provides a really good product

On most days that's highly debatable

xzzy posted:

Doesn't change that it's good software and there is nothing else out there that comes close.

Nothing comes close because adobe holds an absurd number of software patents that prevents anyone else from competing.

They also buy companies/people who are doing anything innovative in the industry, and work it into their own software specifically so they can create a monopoly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/847922525728198656

:catdrugs:

• Locked thread