Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kodo Zoku
Mar 6, 2008

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Well, for that matter photoshop is expensive. But I've played around with the merge to HDR on CS3 and I can't find a way to tone map. And 99 dollars seems like a lot to spend when I've not done much HDR and it has fairly limited use for me. The Qtpfsgui incorporates 8-9 published algorithms - you'd think that unless Photomatix uses a secret, proprietary one that you could recreate what they've done on the open source platform. Does anyone know?

I use qtpfsgui, however, there's no way for me to help you out here. I have no idea what the results you're looking for look like. I've gotten some very "surreal" results out of qtp, using the Fattal algo- the kind of effect that the "20 HDR images that will BLOWYOURFUCKINGMIND" top reddits look like. Is that what you're going for, or are you looking for a well balanced image, something that doesn't scream HDR?

Have you spent much time working with QTPFSGUI yet? It's a heck of a beast to wrangle, and there are a lot of things to tweak, but I've gotten good results from it.

Have you read up on HDR processes, or watched a tutorial? There are a couple of good youtube tutorials on how to do it in CS3, and there are good results to be found there, have you tried any? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVuDbcAfN_I is one that was very helpful to me. There's a pile of links with this video as well, for photoshop HDR merging, tweaking, you name it. There are also a few good books for HDRI.

$100 for an app isn't a lot of money in the pro photo world (actually, it's dirt cheap). That being said, if you're only loving around in HDR, I can see the cost being prohibitive. QTPFSGUI to Photomatix is as Gimp is to Photoshop, more or less. You've got to be prepared to work a lot harder to get not quite as tight results unless you're willing to pay for software.

fake edit: the last paragraph is in no way shape or form meant to provoke Gimp badasses who can do anything that's done in photoshop in Gimp, nor to start a PS vs. Gimp debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo Zoku
Mar 6, 2008

Frinkahedron posted:

A good photojournalist sets white-balance on the scene :P (Or shoots RAW anyway and gets yelled at by editors with slow computers later)

This is what the raw+jpg is for, but it's truly a bitch because unless you have the tits-fast CF you can spend too much time waiting for your media to write. Most of what I shot during the campaign I shot in .raw, but when I was shooting specific assignments (mostly rich white people) I'd shoot raw+jpg because the new media guys wanted the shots now.

• Locked thread