Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008
What is everyone's method of ensuring that their printed photos look as close as possible to the on-screen version?

I've been having huge issues getting this to work. My monitor is on all default settings, as is my printer. I've tried using Adobe Gamma but no matter how many times I go through the wizard or the manual process it simply makes things look worse -- not 'I'm just not used to it' worse, but genuinely worse. Some photos come out of my printer far too warm and others come out far too cool. I brought everything to my local Kinko's and I experience all of the same problems. My photos look beautiful on my monitor, but so far from my intentions on paper. Not to mention I have an interview where I must display my portfolio in just a few days :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008

KennyG posted:

They don't do color managed printing. No ICC profiles, nothing... It's the technical equivalent of taking an ink jet out of the box and using it. It may be laser, and it may be cheap but they are not some place you should be going to for prints if you are concerned about quality.

What sort of places would you recommend? Is Wal-Mart any good?

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008

germskr posted:

Please tell me that was trolling. Please.

I was being half sarcastic but where I live the only options seem to be Kinko's, Staples, Wal-Mart, or buying your own printer, which I've done, but I need prints larger than 8.5x11.

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008
Thanks everyone for advice :), although this thread is making me more meticulous than I already am :|.

8th-samurai posted:

I hate getting prints at my local walmarts. I have had proofs done there when I need stuff quickly and cheaply but they always gently caress up black and white. There is always a pink or green cast to the image. What can you expect for three dollar 8X10s.

I've been doing 11x17 color heavy gloss card stock paper prints for $1.50 each at Kinko's. Took some trial and error to get the colors close to what my intentions were but I'm happy with the results.

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008

KennyG posted:

they at least don't charge you for trial and error prints (at least they don't at my local store)

They didn't charge me the first time around but on my second visit they did, so I guess it's based on the manager's mood (he was there both times.)

• Locked thread