Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tziko
Feb 18, 2001
With all the great photos that appear in the Photo A Day threads, I would love to hear how many of you process the photos that come out of your camera into what appear in the thread. The point of this thread is to give step by step instructions on your post-processing, enabling other photographers to build upon their skill set when it comes to Lightroom/Photoshop/etc.

I'll start off with a recent photo of mine and hopefully other people will contribute as well. I'd love to see instructions on the processing work for johnasavoia's B&W conversions, blake_sw's desaturated look, the professional work of brad industry and friendship waffle, Dread Head's landscapes and the countless other great contributions that have been made in this forum.

---
Online Resources
http://www.chromasia.com/ - A photo blog with heavily processes photos done well. Also includes some (non-free) tutorials.
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/ - If HDR is your processing technique of choice, this photo blog is for you.
http://abduzeedo.com/tutorials - Tons of tutorials
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/DocGawnz/kitten_1.gif - IMPORTANT

Books
The Creative Digital Darkroom - An absolutely fantastic book that gives detailed instructions on how to do just about any photography post-processing with Photoshop/Lightroom.
---

So, onto the guide. I started off with the following RAW image out of the camera and imported it into Lightroom.

I had also taken a couple more exposures of the same scene at around -1EV and -2EV compared to the above image. I rotated the images a bit (rotate one, select them all, right-click, develop settings / sync settings, select crop) and opened them up in Photoshop CS3.

By using the darkest of the three as a base image, I copied the other two images and pasted them as layers on top of it. I also created layer maskes (Layer / Layer Mask / Reveal All) for the two topmost layers. This allows me to paint through to the underxposed layers, replacing the burnt out sections of the longest exposure with less over-exposed regions. This is accomplished by selecting the layer mask in the Layers dialog and simply painting with a black brush over the sections where you want to show the layer below. By alt-clicking on the layer mask, you can see the layer mask in black and white (see image below, ignoring the three topmost layers) and by ctrl-clicking on a mask it selects everything that is not hidden (i.e. the white sections).

Once the masking was completed to my satisfaction, I started working with adjustment layers. My first step was to darken the sky with a curve. To select the sky, I used the lasso tool to roughly select the sky and then refined it by using Select / Color Range. I then created a new curves adjustment layer, as seen below.

This resulted in a way too satured look. I selected the sky again (ctrl-clicked on the curves adjustment layer mask) and created a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.

Finally, I wanted to modify the colors and contrast of the rest of the image. I selected the sky again (ctrl-click on mask), inversed the selection (Select / Inverse) and created another curves adjustment layer.

I was now done with Photoshop. I saved the image and returned back to Lightroom.

The image was nearly complete at this point, but I wanted to emphasize the building features a bit more. I bumped up the blacks a bit to +3 and changed to Clarity slider to +48. Being satisfied with the result, the final step was exporting the image to a more suitable web-sized sRGB JPG with sharpening set to Medium and Display. Here is the final image:

Feel free to offer improvement suggestions or ask questions. I'm still pretty much a Photoshop newbie and would love to hear of any shortcuts or better ways of doing the above.

Tziko fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

Luk3 posted:

Haha, I was talking about this on the IRC channel yesterday and just finished writing up an OP. God drat!

Could I suggest that you add some sort of a "Resources" section to the OP? Somewhere to keep a list of books, videos, websites, etc that people suggest in the thread?
Oh, definitely. I'll modify the OP with whatever resources you people suggest.

By the way, what IRC channel do you guys hang out on?

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

jackpot posted:

I've been trying to fix this for a while now, with no success; my images are desaturated in browsers but look good in photoshop/bridge (don't make fun). It's not computer specific; I have the same problem between my windows home pc and my work macbook pro. And the thing is, I don't want to have to change any settings in firefox to see them right, because I can't expect people looking at them to change anything. Can someone give me the lowdown on what to set/how to save so that what I see in a browser matches what I see in PS, and what most other people will see?

Here are my current color settings in CS3:

I recently had a problem with my images appearing all wrong in non color managed applications. I was definitely converting the colors to sRGB (not simply applying the sRGB profile), so the images shouldn't have been the problem. Are you sure you're doing this to your photos?

My problem turned out to be related to my monitor color profile. Depending on your video card, XP can't handle two seperate color profiles if you have two monitors connected to the same video card. I unloaded the profile of my secondary display and reloaded only the profile of my main display, which fixed my problems. I still don't exactly know why this caused images to look weird in non color managed applications only, though. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, if any of you have good post-processing resources (online or books), please share them so that I can add them to the OP.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

By default, PS will not show the mask in the image. You have to go to the channels tab to enable it. Turn it on like any other channel and you'll see your affected mask areas light up like a Christmas tree.
You can also Alt-click on the mask icon in the layers dialog to achieve this.

Finally, the thread-making GBS threads is over and we can focus on post-processing again. Great guides on the previous page!

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

teh_Shane posted:

I didn't take this shot, another guy who posts on here did (I'm not sure of his alias on SA though). It was taken at Splendour in the Grass '09.

Personally, I'm happiest with the first edit (the one attached to the original image).
What do you guys think?

Full credit for the photo itself goes to the guy who took it though. I'm sure he'll post in here once he spots this post. :)
Having experienced the awesomeness that is Flaming Lips live, I'd go with number two. Yellow and pink capture the mood pretty well. The first one is slightly dull, the third one is okay and the final one feels too over-processed.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

A5H posted:

I'd like to thank all you guys for writing this stuff up. I've been reading it for the past few days and the amount of stuff I've learned is absolutely mind boggling. I know I will not remember hardly any of it, so I will definitely keep coming back to a lot of the tuts, and I still don't understand colour profiles haha!
I just bought lightroom too because you guys make it look and sound like an excellent tool to go along side photoshop! I look forward to trying to learn it, do you guys have any places to start with it? Or just play around and see what happens?
Play around. You'll get the hang of it pretty fast. Try out all the different things and maybe watch a few videos.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001
Was aware of the content-aware fill coming in CS5, but some of the other features are pretty incredible as well (except the last one :argh:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfkjHnsAsvg&feature=related

Also, some neat new stuff in Illustrator CS5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXJY0a8NiU&feature=related

Edit: I think it's really cool how Adobe can take a new SIGGRAPH technology and turn it into a usable feature (Content Aware Resize) in about a year and then take it further (Content Aware Fill) with the next release. Not all new technology is available that fast to consumers.

Tziko fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 25, 2010

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Look at the road in the content aware delete while he's talking about the line on the left and it's obvious that while amazing, it's still far from perfect.

It's not meant to be a one-stop tool that allows you to remove whatever you want. It simply makes the whole process a lot faster by giving you a good starting point, after which you fix it up by doing some manual cloning/other fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

diarrhea for girls posted:

But look at that extraordinary detail in the wall! Wonderful texture!

*insert unicorn/rainbow .gif and group invite here*

edit: for content, I'm really liking the announced improvements so far to LR3. Lens correction is really cool and their noise removal seems to be on par with DxO according to a video that showed it off. That's one thing that really swayed me to DxO because I could shoot at 1600/3200 with my 40D and still be able to get usable shots out of it.

We'll see if LR3 actually is as good as it appears to be when it actually hits retail but I'm looking forward to it so far.

I've been using Beta 2 for a while now and it's been working great. Go try it out - the noise reduction is better than in LR 2.

• Locked thread