Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Thanks, this is great. Ok, I've opened up the backup and now at least LR isn't dying on me - when I had it recreate previews, suddenly things looked a lot better. But they don't have the latest processing I've done to them (that makes sense; I'm using a backup from before I'd finished). I have the sidecar files, how do I bring those in? If I right-click and go Metadata -> Read metadata from file, it gives me the option to

Read metadata from selected file?
This will overwrite the metadata in the lightroom catalog with metadata from the file. This operation is not undoable.

Besides undoable not being a word (they can't just say "this operation cannot be undone"?), this doesn't pull in what I know to be the latest processing. How do I get what's in those xmp files imported?

Goddamnit what a pain in the rear end. It's not a disaster - I'd already finished the wedding and given them their photos - but man, am I gonna make sure to let Lightroom make its backup more often next time.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, have you also tried rolling back the lrcat from time Machine? It might have more recent versions than your last LR backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think Aperture had many holdouts left (I switched to Lightroom with version 4) but Apple confirmed today that they're not developing Aperture anymore. The new Photos app that's coming in 2015 will replace iPhoto while also being able to import Aperture libraries.

I find this sad. I'm a Lightroom user, but I've been 'rooting' for Aperture — I like a lot of the ideas there, and have no real love for Adobe. Apple, however, has never been a trustworthy pro software partner/platform, and this confirms it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

I have some questions regarding Adobe's subscription-based model. Apologies in advance is this has been discussed extensively.

I use Photoshop (no other Adobe software) extensively, and I am considering a switch (I won't call it an upgrade) to PS CC for various reasons. In Adobe's purchasing model, I would fall under the 'Individual' category and I am considering two options: the 'photography' license and the 'single app' license.

The only feature that might matter to me in the 'single app' license is the portfolio web page. Is this portfolio web page any better than what Zenfolio offers under its premium model? I'm very happy with my zenfolio page and I'd hate the move, but I would consider it.

Most likely though, I'd buy the 'Photography' license because it costs less and it's at a price point that fits my needs. I am uncertain about the cloud 'feature' though. What exactly is stored on the cloud? Do I have any control over it? I occasionally work with sensitive documents that I don't want on the cloud, so I would like to tell PS CC to never ever put anything (photos or software) on the cloud. Can that be done?

Thanks.

The cloud feature is just a dropbox-like shared, syncing folder. You can control what does, or doesn't go in there. The Creative Cloud app lets you turn on and all all the automatic stuff if you want. I have the Photographer's pack for Lightroomy goodness. Never used the portfolio page, though.

BTW, anyone else try out the Lightroom/ACR 2015.1 update yet? I think the Dehaze slider is going to be the new Clarity slider.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I played with it for a minute or so and couldn't tell what it was doing besides cranking saturation.

It seems to be doing something involving local contrast (less local than Clarity), with saturation coming along for the ride. Adds a bit of oomph to overexposed skies, for example. There's a thread on reddit dipping toes into it. My experimentation so far is along the same lines. Does some neat stuff to black and white shots.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Yup abuse potential is pretty high with this one.

Here's a shot lightly modified from the camera:

Now, take that Dehaze slider and crank the hell out of it:

Looks like hell, right? Well, throw yourself into black and white and make a couple small modifications and you get:

MOODY AS gently caress. It's actually a neat look I think, but the fact that it's three slider pulls away means that it's going to get all over the place. My prediction: 3 months of this look being everywhere followed by eyerolling forever.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pukestain Pal posted:

because I'm lazy, what's it look like without the dehaze? I bet it looks just as good....because the photo is good.

I am a river to my people. B+W, no dehaze:

annapacketstormaya posted:

What if you crank dehaze to max and clarity to min?

100 Dehaze, -100 Clarity

Edit:

Kenshin posted:

Huh, is that a beta update or...? I haven't noticed that slider in LR6 yet.

High potential for abuse, sure, but in small amounts (like I use the clarity slider--rarely ever more than the range of [ -10, +15 ]) it might present some interesting effects.

Yeah, the 2015.1 update that released on Monday. Only CC users get it. And yeah, used in moderation it'll be a nice touch.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Skizzzer posted:

I heard Fuji cameras are tough to process in Lightroom. Is this true? Any tips? I have a X-E1 for reference.

Am i better off sticking to jpegs?

The most recent revision of Photoshop and Lightroom CC have gotten much better. Still not -perfect-, but improved and improving. Fuji JPEGS are fantastic, but I've never felt sorry for myself for editing Fuji raw in lightroom.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Ika posted:

I want to put together four photos in a 2x2 pattern. Is there an easy way in lightroom to make sure the colors match between the photos? Just using the same settings makes one of them look off, even though they were taken using the same settings at the same time.

How same were the settings? And what's off? If you shot in AWB, the temperature might have shifted between shots. If you're copying and pasting settings in Lightroom, it might be copying and pasting "as shot."

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Ika posted:

The only camera setting that varied was aperture. I had to manually correct WB, and set all photos to identical values. I fine tuned exposure to make the location of the color peaks in the histogram match, and kept all other settings identical (including camera calibration).

One of the four photos is stiched together from two shots, but that isn't the one that looks off.

All shots have some grass in the foreground, and the color doesn't completely match. The effect appears to be much stronger when looking at the thumbnails than when I put slices of the images next to each other, for whatever reason. To my eye the second row looks slightly different than the others.

E: I've also tried to use the print module to put the images together, but it doesn't accept "30" as being a number between 10 and 254. Yay adobe!

E2: Ok, I figured out the last part. If the page orientation is rotated, when you change the width it thinks you are setting height to 0 and vice versa, since it then reads from the wrong input field.

I see what you mean; in the thumbnails, #2 looks juuust slightly more yellow than the others. As slices, my eyes don't detect a difference. Weird.

Maybe it's an artifact of the resizing? I don't know man, I've got no useful advice for you.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Encrypted posted:

Is that under sunlight? or it could be the flickering lamps.

Clouds? Superman?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

Does the 'Make a Second Copy To' dialogue in the import panel let you select your server? I have Lightroom import my pictures to my primary external drive (Thunderbolt) and make a second copy to a different external drive that gets regularly synced to online storage.

I've been using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent sync) to do this job. The instance on my desktop shares the photo directory that Lightroom imports in to. The instance in my server syncs that directory in read-only mode (for extra safety) to a share there. The server then does its normal remote backup routine nightly.

Resilio Sync is so fast that it gets things to the server as fast as Lightroom can crunch them.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I'm scared.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

I picked up Affinity Photo when I got my x100f precisely because it was a fixed cost. I know how I am when learning something (I’ll dive in headfirst for a week or two, ignore it for a month or two, and then come back to it slowly over time) and I just couldn’t justify the monthly cost, knowing there are going to be months when I ignore it completely.

With that being said, it sucks to learn on a tool that isn’t industry standard because finding tutorials is a lot tougher, which discourages learning. Vicious loving cycle, that is.

Yeah, the network effect is strongly on Lightroom's side. And what Lightroom does well, it does VERY well. There are a dozen competitors out there, but none of them have really cracked it yet. And if they did, would it really help them at this point?

I chose to go Lightroom back during the Lightroom vs Aperture days, because it would support me if I ever reverted back from Mac to PC (I didn't) or if Apple got fickle (they did). I figured that by going with the same people who made Bridge, ACR and Photoshop, I'd have a stable platform for as long as I wanted. I'm suddenly forced to reconsider that stability. You don't name a product 'classic' if you intend to care a lot about it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
For what it's worth, Lightroom Classic -does- seem to be speed-boosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A question to people with experience in the new Lightroom. I'd like to keep using Lightroom Classic on my desktop machine and not feed all of my files to the cloud. However, I see the utility in New Lightroom's function as a desktop version of Lightroom Mobile. Will it actually work like that, and let me use it on my laptop to view and edit my shared Collections the way Lightroom Mobile does?

• Locked thread