Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
How do you decide what adjustments should be done in Camera Raw/Lightroom vs done in Photoshop?

i.e. They both have exposure adjustment, is there a difference between doing it in Raw vs doing it photoshop?

I'm mostly concerned with not losing color information or highlight information...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
You'd probably be wanting to use the eyedropper tool for this. If there's something that should have neutral cast, the RGB values for that point should be close to each other (within 1 or 2 on a scale of 0-255). That's the best way to do things. If you have a gray or white card, you can use it for that purpose too. There should only be one white balance setting (tint and temperature) that yields neutrality on a neutral object.

aesthetically you might have a hard time since "accurate" white balance isn't always what you want...

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
There's ;ike 88 billion photography websites, why would you ever need to read anything he says? It's not like he's ever touched any of the cameras or lenses he's reviewed.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

brad industry posted:

Before photography was invented all painters did was poo poo like portraits and other boring commissions. After photography, they all lost their jobs. A lot of people thought photography had killed painting, but what it really did was free painters to do whatever the gently caress they wanted. Look at the Western tradition in painting... it is pretty boring up until photography is invented, then there is a massive explosion in different kinds of work starting with the birth of modernism (Cubism/Picasso). Now basically anything that someone says is a painting is a painting regardless of whether it even hangs on a wall or uses paint.

This is an interesting theory, but there was a hell of a lot going on in the world beside the introduction of photography to that spurred Modernism, and Modernism applied to a lot of things beside painting.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Even just a list of obsolete filters and adjustments in photoshop to avoid...

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Not trying to start anything, but are the Mac versions of lightroom / PS any "faster" than windows?

I'm basically deciding between a e8400 (3.0 ghz, dual core, 64bit) windows machine and just getting a new mac mini (2 ghz intel, dual core, 64bit).

my 4-year old PC just isn't cutting it for LR2...

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I don't have a particular like or dislike of either OS, and it hardly matters because the three applications I use are firefox, lightroom and PS.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
'spose this is the best place to ask this:

I need to move my lightroom hard disk to another computer, where it will have a different drive letter. How would I go about this so I don't lose all the metadata / LR processing info (I didn't make XMPs so I presume everything is in the LR catalog)? I'm assuming if I just copy the catalog, lightroom is going to think all the files are missing...

Windows, BTW.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Curves and masks. Basically you mask of parts of the image and apply curves to each part to enhance contrast and adjust exposure. Increasing contrast in rgb mode wiill also increase saturation.

Also, To get real strong colors you need to be in the middle (or lower mid) of the tonal range in that area.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Tez posted:

Cool thanks for that.

Everytime i mess around with curves it seems to throw off the white balance and colours though....maybe i shouldnt change them that drastically.

Don't use the individual R G and B curves, just use the combined curve. If you use the individual channel curves you need to make microscopic adjustments (and these probably aren't the best tools for color editing since its so hard to do anything useful).

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

TsarAleksi posted:

Canon images usually have similar issues in Photoshop ACR/Lightroom, they look snappy until they load, then you have to work to get them back to what they already looked like. I was on the edge of shooting jpeg I got so frustrated with it, then I started using Capture One instead :)

Have you tried playing with the profiles in the Camera Calibration tab? They're supposed to be Adobe's reverse engineering of the Canon processing and seem to do something (although I usually just use Adobe Standard and waste lots of time doing post).

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I'm starting to wonder about this.. I think I'll start using jpg+raw and see if there is that much of a difference. Here is one jpg straight from the camera (set to Camera Neutral, adobe RGB) and one from lightroom, only setting was Camera Neutral on the Camera Calibration pane.

I don't see a big difference, maybe you eagle eyes do.

i'll go find something with more color later.

edit: This is a lightroom 2 thing, by the way, lightroom 1 doesn't have this I guess. Don't know when it was added to ACR.

evensevenone fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 28, 2009

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Would anyone be intersted in participating together a "contest" (maybe without judging since that's always a pain in the rear end and contentious) where we all start with the same 3 or 5 RAWs and post-process them to JPGs? It'd be interesting to see what different people come up with.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Cool! Sounds like there's interest. I think the best way is if anyone interested emails me 1 unloved raw that you don't mind giving up all rights and creative control over, I'll pick 3-5 and make a torrent, everyone downloads torrent and goes to town, then in a week or two we make a thread where we post our images... it'd be cool if everyone did theirs without seeing each others.

I don't see the point of putting any particular rules or restrictions, beside being willing to tell us how you did it and give insight into your process and decisions. And of course you can do as few or as many as you'd like.

I'll make another thread if people generally think this is a good way to do it.

I suppose we could vote on the raws if we really want to be hyper-democratic.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Yeah I've been too busy to set it up, I will start a thread tonight.
Also, I realized for 5Dm2s, the raws are probably too big for email so I've been working on a solution for that.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I was at a wedding that had the same lighting conditions and the photographer stood approximately where the guy in the white polo shirt on the left is standing. Not sure how it turned out.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
The website should tell you what they want. Usually sRGB unless it's a pro-type place. You can embed the color profile in the JPG as well, if you do that the adobe RGB one should come out looking OK if you use a profile-aware program to open it (firefox/safari for example).

What website are you using? Someone might know if they use the profiles or just assume srgb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Bridge would probably be better suited for that. If you have PS you aren't going to lose any functionality, you're just going to be stuck doing the raw processing in ACR instead of lightroom. If you use sidecar XMP files lightroom and bridge and PS coexist pretty well.

• Locked thread