Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scooter
May 12, 2001
Something I've recently started using is the graduated filter feature that is new in LR2; I mostly use it to adjust the exposure of different parts of the scene. It's not as flexible as using masked layers in Photoshop as quazi and FunkyJunk described, but it's much faster.

Now for some color space questions: what do y'all use for color spaces when exporting from Lightroom? I export to SRGB, and the exported photos always look slightly darker outside of Lightroom. Is Lightroom converting to a different color space for display than Firefox/Irfanview? I haven't explicitly set a color space for my monitors; could that be the cause of the mismatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scooter
May 12, 2001

brad industry posted:

LR uses ProPhotoRGB and then exports to whatever you tell it to. I always shoot and then export in Adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB for printing/web.

What's the benefit of converting to sRGB for printing? Isn't printing done with a CMYK color space that doesn't overlap exactly with sRGB?

Scooter posted:

Now for some color space questions: what do y'all use for color spaces when exporting from Lightroom? I export to SRGB, and the exported photos always look slightly darker outside of Lightroom. Is Lightroom converting to a different color space for display than Firefox/Irfanview? I haven't explicitly set a color space for my monitors; could that be the cause of the mismatch?

I did some more research, and found an article that explains the current state of Firefox color management: it's supported, but for various reasons it's disabled by default. Apparently Safari is the only browser that uses the embedded ICC information from images by default. Enabling the option for it in Firefox solved my problem: the colors of my photos on Flickr now look the same as in Lightroom. Most people will still see subtly wrong colors, but it's good to know the problem isn't in my workflow.

• Locked thread