Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I was doing a bit of work in PS after browsing this thread and decided that my Filter menu was WAY too cluttered. I have several filters that do mostly the same thing (Not exactly) and would like to put them in the same sub menu. I also have some filters that are confusingly worded. Is there a way I can reorganize how the filter menu is laid out in PS just the way one would customize the start menu?

I asked uncle google, but he wasn't too much help.

Sorry if this is asked all the time, but I can't seem to see a better thread for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
While I'm not 100% sure that this is the thread for general 'make my picture better' postings, I'll bite.

I would mask the buffalo as best I can... and sharpen the buffalo, and see if I could color correct the background.

That's 3 big steps, but check the previous posts. Check the sharpen one - then mask the other areas and fix the color by playing with either the tone curve or color masks. I'll leave it to others to be more specific or come up with better ideas.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Good Sir posted:

I brought everything to my local Kinko's and I experience all of the same problems.

They don't do color managed printing. No ICC profiles, nothing... It's the technical equivalent of taking an ink jet out of the box and using it. It may be laser, and it may be cheap but they are not some place you should be going to for prints if you are concerned about quality.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Then your answer is TehIntarwebs. Have your prints delivered by mail. Walmart is fine for Mom's photos of the soccer game, but if you are worried about your color, you will have to send your stuff off to be printed.

I live in an area with only a select few more options (namely a major university) but their prices are so outlandish if you aren't in a class, that anything over 4x6 I send off to mpix or adorama.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

RangerScum posted:

I don't know if I am just lucky or what, but I have never had any calibration done to my monitor, and I just upload my photos to adorama.com and checkmark the box where they correct the colors and so far all my photos have come with the correct colors.

Before this devolves into a giant flame war... color is highly subjective. What's perfectly fine for someone may not be useable for someone else. Also if you don't know what you are looking for it may be hard to spot a problem if it's not terrible.
All that said, once you know what proper color is and isn't, you will be a lot more anal about your colors - it isn't necessarily a good thing. I go to the movies now and get pissed because the projector bulb is dieing and the colors in the picture are off. These things never used to bother me, and now I can't enjoy the movies.

Your display and your printer are inherently one way devices. They only put out colors based on their settings. If minute factors are off by a small percentage you can have major difference in color.

The following are 3 different versions of white, that if in the right device would be perceived as true white... but as you can see are not.
The left square would be white in a warmer display - the middle is actually white (255,255,255) and the right would perceived as white in a cooler display. Hopefully your on a display that's somewhat screwed up and one of the right or left squares looks more white than the middle and you can understand what I'm talking about.

Bottom line, if colors are important to you, stay away from walmart, and anything else besides doing it yourself (or overseeing someone doing it) is a crapshoot.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Good Sir posted:

Thanks everyone for advice :), although this thread is making me more meticulous than I already am :|.

I've been doing 11x17 color heavy gloss card stock paper prints for $1.50 each at Kinko's. Took some trial and error to get the colors close to what my intentions were but I'm happy with the results.

they at least don't charge you for trial and error prints (at least they don't at my local store)

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Chark posted:

After a bit of playing around I came up with this.

EDIT:... Wow that looks washed out, I swear it looked much better in LR...
Made it look a little washed out.

Check your colorspace - safari is rendering it fine.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

evensevenone posted:

Not trying to start anything, but are the Mac versions of lightroom / PS any "faster" than windows?

I'm basically deciding between a e8400 (3.0 ghz, dual core, 64bit) windows machine and just getting a new mac mini (2 ghz intel, dual core, 64bit).

my 4-year old PC just isn't cutting it for LR2...

It's debatable of "faster" versus slower... but Hardware for hardware it's about equal. Throw in the fact that you are paying a significant mactax for apple, it's not faster. Dollar for Dollar, windows is the way to go. If you need ease of use/other concerns you can make a compelling case for a mac.

I am assuming those two configurations you listed were aproximately the same price... the 3.0ghz will stomp the mac mini. Load 8gb of ram into that 3.0ghz on Vista 64 and you will be shocked - all for less than buying the cheap mac mini.

Disclosure: Post typed on a Gen1 Mac Book Air.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

FunkyJunk posted:

Maybe true, but then he's got to use craptastic Vista on it. There's more to a computer than its speed. I have to use that lovely OS at work, but there's no way in hell I'm going to use it when I get home. The "apple tax" is worth it at twice the price IMO.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3030764

When you actually use it on a machine that is really vista capable it's pretty nice... especially in 64bit.

The "EW, Vista" days are long over, I don't like the Mojave commercials either but seriously, it's now a step forward and not backwards.

Also, note he asked which OS was faster with Lightroom not which operating system was subjectively better, so we should keep the OS bashing to a minimum. I know I started it with the Mactax comment, but I think it actually had a valid point. He was comparing significantly different systems from a hardware standpoint and I was pointing out why that particular windows system would run circles around the Mac Mini... backwards.

KennyG fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 3, 2009

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Z posted:

I have a coworker who made the same argument. If your OS requires a major hardware upgrade to run properly, you're doing it wrong.

I hope to god you are a Linux user.

Edit: If you want to discuss this further - Meet you in SHSC

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
To hopefully get this thing back on track... I know there are several people who have just picked up a huey or other calibrator... does anyone have a link to a good resource for properly setting up color management?

I would take a stab at it but after friendship waffles war a month ago, I would rather leave it to someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

He suddenly disappeared when challenged to show his own work didn't he? Fire away!

He was the one who was way off... I was hoping brad would post a quick rundown of what to do.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

brad industry posted:

There's not really much to monitor profiles. You basically just run the Huey software and it will calibrate everything, make an ICC profile, and then assign it to the device for you. Just run the software every 2 weeks or so and you'll be good, it's pretty simple.

friendship waffle was being a moron because he did not understand the difference between a device profile (which is what the Huey makes or what you get when you profile your printer) and a generic colorspace one that your files are in (like sRGB or Adobe RGB).

I have done that, and like the results...

but does anything need to be done special to lightroom or photoshop to apply that profile for further improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
This makes sense to me, I just remembered something from Pop Photography about setting up your software as a last step... if I could find the issue I wouldn't have asked so I guess I'll just settle for what I have now (which I think is pretty darn good for now)

• Locked thread