Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Say Lah Vee posted:

I keep hearing people refer to a "topaz" something in reference to post-processing. What is it?

Topaz Adjust, probably.
http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/

I don't like a lot of what comes out after being ran through it, but some people swear by it.

edit: I suppose when used in moderation it does have some decent results, but as you can see by those examples, some of that is just horribly over processed.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Brad and quazi, I just ordered that book based on the preview chapters quazi linked to. I haven't played around much with LAB but it the magical things he does in it sells it on me.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

baccaruda posted:

I like the saturation. I think it looks a little too in-focus for vintage film though - if you're going for an exact recreation.

Kodachrome is amazing, here's one from 1942 that always blows my mind: http://www.shorpy.com/node/808?size=_original

Whitezombi, I recall seeing a kodachrome in one of the national archives releases or something like that of a guy on a rusted tractor and it looked almost exactly like your preset managed to make that tractor look. That's really impressive. Great work!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

OK I fixed the link.

Sorry about that guys.

Thanks WZ! I'll give it a try when I have something worth using it on. :)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I gave it a shot but Shmoogy's results were pretty much the same. Could always try B&W though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

nonanone posted:

That image actually hurts my eyes, physically. Also it's butt ugly.

But look at that extraordinary detail in the wall! Wonderful texture!

*insert unicorn/rainbow .gif and group invite here*

edit: for content, I'm really liking the announced improvements so far to LR3. Lens correction is really cool and their noise removal seems to be on par with DxO according to a video that showed it off. That's one thing that really swayed me to DxO because I could shoot at 1600/3200 with my 40D and still be able to get usable shots out of it.

We'll see if LR3 actually is as good as it appears to be when it actually hits retail but I'm looking forward to it so far.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 30, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Tziko posted:

I've been using Beta 2 for a while now and it's been working great. Go try it out - the noise reduction is better than in LR 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot to give that a try. I know in the first beta they had disabled some of the noise removal things, thanks for the reminder! :)

Looks like the CS5 trials are up on Adobe.com if you're interested in making cutting edge, "beautiful" HDRs. Or maybe just seeing that content aware stuff for yourself.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Unfortunately that doesn't work if you're using a 64bit install of Windows. I'm pretty sure Canon's stance on that is 'you're just SOL.'

If you are running into that problem, the "Fast Picture Viewer" group used to put out a free RAW codec pack for both 32bit and 64bit but while searching for a link it seems they've now pulled the free version and only offer one for $9.99. I don't know if it would constitute as :filez: to link you to the free version they once offered for download, but it has been mirrored all over the place.

Here's their current page, though: http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

I like the sky in the 'balanced' on the best, but the contrast of the ground in the 'original' is the winner. It looks too washed out in the hdr images.

Which seems to be typical for HDR images.. skies look really amazing, clouds pop like crazy, but everything else looks flat and dead.

It's really easy to use a mask to replace the clouds in the original with the clouds in the "balanced" one. I think together the combo looks really good.

That HDR Efex Pro looks quite interesting, I'll have to give that trial a go. It's a couple extra steps in the workflow process but it's a good way to get definition in skies that normally look subtle or flat.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

A5H posted:

Is it possible to fake DOF realistically? I want to blur out the background on this shot a bit but I'm struggling to do it.

I haven't used it, but there is a LR/PS plugin called Bokeh 2 by Alien Skin that apparently does what you're wanting.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Adobe previewed their Photoshop deblurring plugin at MAX 2011 and it's some pretty cool CSI poo poo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxjiQoTp864

This is awesome. I wonder how far out it is from actually being released. Curse you Adobe and your "sneaks" without a release estimate.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Adobe Photoshop CS6 is out in public beta form, if you're interested in trying it out. It appears to be good for 60 days.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Google has released every Nik Software plugin in a single bundle for $149, pretty awesome price if you haven't already picked up their stuff. If you've already picked up one in the past you'll be able to download the rest of their products for free. You're also eligible for a refund of the difference if you've spent more than $149 on their software after February 22nd of this year.

http://www.niksoftware.com/index/usa/entry.php

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4452357456/google-nik-software-plugins

quote:

I talked to Josh Haftel, Product Manager at Google, who told me that this new bundle is all but identical to the previously available versions, with the only changes of note being an all-in-one installer, and Google branding. He also commented that Google plans to continue to develop and support Nik software’s plugins, saying:

“We definitely plan to continue developing and evolving the software. This is our first release and by bringing this under the Google brand, we hope to show our commitment not only to Nik users, but to the photography community at large.”

Great to hear they're still planning to work on it, since that's been a concern for awhile now.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 25, 2013

• Locked thread