Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Turd Nelson posted:

I took this photo yesterday and I love it, but is there a way to lessen the intensity of the sun hitting the right side of the pigeon?
It looks like you blew out those highlights, so no. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can you bind an action to opening new documents?

e: like this

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ask brad how he feels about Aperture :laugh:
What it boils down to is that I'd rather have DNG's than Apple's proprietary database.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's your beef with it? I run 3.2 RC and like it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You need to specify where you want each import. Or use tags.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't you just export them as layers then align them?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How are the files distributed on your drive?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

Im not sure.
You're hosed!

Bojanglesworth posted:

When I go to the actual location of the library there is just a Lightroom Library file. I can't go in and delete certain files.
Yes your library has nothing to do with the location of your DNG's. Do you really not know where the drat files are? Are you sure the files still exist?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your DNG's motherfucker where are they? Like, the files you *haven't* deleted. I'll try deleting a test directory when I get home to see what the default behaviour is, but your looking at your catalog instead of the image files the whole time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you convert to DNG on import or use jpg? What you need to figure out is where LR put your PICTURE files. What does your LR tree (in grid view) look like now?

Bojanglesworth posted:

The only reason I actually care is because I have a small SSD as my main drive and its literally almost full already. I have since made a new library (or catalog or whatever the gently caress its called) on my other drive, but I need to clear out my SSD and I dont know how.
You could have just moved the catalog, but oh well. LR's not so picky about data placement but you need to plan that poo poo out or it will 100% bite you in the behind.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cannister posted:

Is there anything comparable (maybe one with just a card and not any software for exporting profiles) out there, say in the 10-20 dollar range, or am I just going to get reamed with this just like anything else photo-specific?
Neutral gray microfiber lens cloth. $5.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million, keep the catalog on the SSD, import to the SSD then move the pics (from within LR) to your platters drive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why the hell is there no integrated LR3 correction profile for the Nikkor 85/1.8 :mad:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

edit: Though I guess that's what Survey view is for, technically.
Pretty much! Or a temp collection.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any error messages? Do you use any export plugins that might be loving up?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big cheese posted:

Are there any image size options ticked as well when you're trying to export? It might be struggling to create a file of that size and also trying to make it 2000 pixels on the short edge as well. Other than that, I have no idea.
I find it much easier to just constrain pixel size and jpeg quality then let LR run with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can choose a maximum long/short edge pixel size.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A5H posted:

Oh awesome. I had no idea lightroom could do it!
It's one of the great things about LR3

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Try working out the other factors before complaining about it now being as sharp as film, yeah.
Fullres raw at base ISO on a tripod will look a ton better than 10mp sraw at 800, and react better to sharpening. I'd be curious to see what your film stuff looks like at 100%.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fungah posted:

Whenever I import a RAW image, the initial preview is similar to the image I see in the LCD of my camera, ie it looks properly exposed. However, after a second or two, the preview changes and generally becomes a lot darker and so what I initially thought were properly exposed images end up having to be unnecessarily messed with to boost the exposure. Can anyone explain to me what is going on and how I can stop this from happening or control this? I'm using a D90 and the image settings are set to neutral.
It switches from the integrated preview image to one it generated on its own.
Check which import preset you're using, if any. I shoot a D90 too and I can barely tell the difference.

Fungah posted:

On a somewhat related note, does active D-lighting actually make a difference to RAW files?
No.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 7, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

The problem with Adobe software is they normally don't display the hotkeys anywhere in the main interface window. You have to hover over a gadget with the mouse for several seconds for the program to reveal it.
Yeah that's really retarded. So hate doing that hover thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Greybone posted:

Anyone? Especially the first part is becoming annoying since it's hard to keep track of what's already published :(
What do you export to?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Is this a setting somewhere, or is there a legit reason I can't "Move" files from my CF card to my LR catalog?
LR doesn't like deleting from removable media. Deal with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

Anyone running Lightroom 3 on the new MacBook Air? I'm thinking of getting the 11-inch.
Get the 13+4GB. The resolution/size on the 11 will be a complete pain in LR.

brad industry posted:

I bought a 13" Air (with 4GB) specifically for shooting tethered on location and it works great, the SSD makes a big difference.
Well that settles it. SSD's are loving awesome if you don't need gobs of storage, and it certainly beats a laptop drive with the catalog, thumbnails, and DNG's on the same platter.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 1, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

Also I... *cough* haven't exactly purchased Lightroom and I have to reinstall it every launch to get it to work.
You suck at :files:

In any case, I tried the valid SilkyPix that came with my LX3 and it was loving horrible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does it want the SSD for the install and scratch disk? My Macbook has a dead optical drive and I was thinking of swapping it out for an SSD, keeping the regular HD in there for storage (although most of my photos are stored on externals).
You run everything from SSD, they move your poo poo to an external/platter (from within LR) after you're done.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does it want the SSD for the install and scratch disk?
What do you mean?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

What was so bad about it?
Stability, processing and interface (especially the labels), but that was 2 years ago. Also the setup would just silently crash on one of my machines.
I got LR and never looked back, but it's not like they take half a year to update their RAW decoder, so you won't be stuck with Silky for too long.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Graduated neutral density (sky), Saturation and a bit of sharpening.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Screenshot and post your current LR interface please 8)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A5H posted:

The 'Folders' part in the left pane had vanished.
It's come back after a new import. Really strange. Never happened before.
I missed the past tense in that sentence, so when I saw this:

A5H posted:

Here you go.

I went "this looks kinda alright to me, actually". It's weird that it removed the folders header though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a red grad ND as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I use a catalog for each year :unsmith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

brad industry posted:

Has anyone 'scanned' negatives using a camera with a lens mounted film holder like this?
http://www.dpbestflow.org/camera/camera-scanning
http://www.dpbestflow.org/camera-scan-workflow
Pretty sure Pompous has a similar setup.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know how it does that, I assume it means using raw files and not jpgs? Again, I don't know anything about Lightroom but I think the answer to your question is "stop clipping the whites"
It's useless on jpg because jpg compression will drop the information when you clip.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also a single file is super awesome for backup purposes. Especially differentials.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Since there's talk of backing up, I want to do backing up that every time I backup, only new files are added to my external drive, and not 2 Terabytes of data every loving time. I've tried setting it to "daily" but it still backs everything up. It took 24 hours last time. :gonk:
Mac or PC?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's hilarious is that importing poo poo in LR doesn't take noticeably longer than it does in his video. SSDeez yo.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 1, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also matching your tags to mentions would be pretty great. It'd also ideally import your friends list as tags.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Is this a common thing? You're like the third goon I've seen say they store a backup he'd at a friends house.
Off site backup should be part of anyone's plan. Anyone who doesn't plan on weeping cold dark tears the day they lose a couple thousand images to something as simple as burglary.

spf3million posted:

I think people do it in case of a fire/tornado/etc. I personally don't have an apartment (100% travel job) so I crash with friends when I'm in the US and leave stuff there.
Theft is really the bigger problem. In the case the of hard drives, power issues (the kind that burn up your electronics, say when your PSU goes up in flames) can be annoying too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AzCoug posted:

Speaking of which, what do people do when they are on vacation?
All I put in the safe is data cards and documentation. The rest is insured so I give no fucks.

• Locked thread