Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Anyone have tips on reading histograms? I have a bit of colorblindness so even the slightest offset that someone spots wouldn't be noticeable for me. I'm just trying to see if there's another way to figure colors out for my photographs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

CanuckBassist posted:

I'm partly colourblind too. What is it with the histograms that you are having trouble with? I don't find any of the histogram colours being similar to the background or anything that'd make the histograms hard to read.

It's not that I'm having hard with them, I just would like some tips on how I know the color looks..correct when I am processing the photo. I always end up having my girlfriend look at them beforehand before I save/export my photos.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

Bottom Liner posted:

I tried to do my first composite tonight, not happy with the results. This is a lot harder than I imagined, though I assume shooting the images with the purpose of compositing them would make it much easier. Any tips (in general or for this image).

http://flickr.com/photos/davidchilders/3240880890/

I just wanted to say that the image of her makes her look like a plastic doll. Don't know if that was the effect.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

diarrhea for girls posted:

Topaz Adjust, probably.
http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/

I don't like a lot of what comes out after being ran through it, but some people swear by it.

edit: I suppose when used in moderation it does have some decent results, but as you can see by those examples, some of that is just horribly over processed.

So this is jsut another method of doing HDRs? Or is this even considered HDR

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
I'm a bit confused with profiles and such. What would I use that website listed above for? I noticed they linked profiles, is that something I give them or I would use on my computer?

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
I tried your steps above and got this. What did you set for your layer's opacity? Left is original, right is altered. Any critiques? I didn't use the photo pop setting that much, started looking too...vibrant.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Umm, I meant the processing. It's just the first "people" shot I found in lightroom which could use some work. The layer which I used clarity on just seems to make the hair strands highlighted by the sun seem to pop out even more so I think I'm going to tone it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

Xabi posted:

Me too. I said 'fat girl angle' in that the processing is too extreme for my taste, and therefore it's about as honest/true to reality as a photo taken from the 'fat girl angle'.

But like I said, I might be conservative in that respect.

That makes sense. Do you think it's because of how "creamy" I made the skin? I'm attempting to go for realism moreso then what magazine/playboy does to their models so I would rather leave a blemish or two if it makes it look more believable.

Hot Cops posted:

For portraits, just remove any glaring blemishes instead of nuking the entire face with the healing brush. Also, instead of desaturating the ENTIRE photo, use the Select > Colour Range tool with Colour Balance to reduce your reds (or your blues and magentas for extremities).

That's going to be hard for me since I'm a bit colorblind. For obvious glaring color issues, I can spot really quickly and adjust it but for subtle details just go right over my head.

Also, I was just followed the guy's tutorial above me, even though it looked like I ran through the entire face with the healing brush.

• Locked thread