Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Bottom Liner posted:

I tried to do my first composite tonight, not happy with the results. This is a lot harder than I imagined, though I assume shooting the images with the purpose of compositing them would make it much easier. Any tips (in general or for this image).

http://flickr.com/photos/davidchilders/3240880890/

I don't know much about making composites, but I think one of the keys to selling it is having believable lighting and shadows between the subject/background.

The background is an overcast day with snow on the ground, which is probably some of the softest, omni-directional lighting situations you run into in the real world. Your model, on the other hand, is getting a big dose of light from the right hand side casting all sorts of shadows around her shoulder and chin, but none into the immediate area where she's sitting.

I'm not sure the DoF is quite right in this comp either. The subject is in very sharp focus (looks like pretty normal f/11 studio stuff) whereas the background looks like its shot wide open with focus about 30 feet away.

Be careful about perspective/focal length too. Don't composite wide subjects onto telephoto backgrounds, and keep tele subjects in the centre of wide backgrounds, or shoot both at similar focal lengths. I don't think its a big problem here, but something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Bottom Liner posted:

reposting this from the wedding thread to hopefully get a suggestion tonight:

Question; I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow thats outside on a mountain hillside and the guests will be facing straight at the sun at 5:00 when the ceremony starts. I was there today for the rehearsal and the lighting was a pain in the rear end. The backlighting was so strong I either had completely over exposed sky or completely underexposed subjects. Is my only solution to use flash during the ceremony? Can I edit this to be nice and soft somehow? What should I be metering in a scene this dynamic? Here's the setup:

(straight from camera, and I have no idea how to make it look decent)

In short, how do I deal with intense backlit sun here?

You could also get some really dramatic, warm, half-lit shots from the sides (i.e. shooting north/south). Just expose for the highlights and let the east-facing bits be dark.

• Locked thread