Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Unless I'm shooting concerts or low light situations where chroma noise is just too disgusting, I am never happy with BW conversions. I just use desaturation in LR3 and adjust contrast and black levels. I love black and white photography, but I can't "see" it before I take the photo. What are some good resources for thinking in black and white, I've been pouring over tons of images trying to imagine scenes without color, but it's still really tough for me. I'm just drawn to bright vivid colors.

Zone system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Next person to derail over something stupid gets a very long probation.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Please, someone else who is a photoshop expert tell me they also were unaware of this panel? I feel like I need to turn in my card or something.

That panel (and other clone stamp updates) was pretty much the reason to buy CS4 :). Every time I have to work with <CS4 I go crazy.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Do a clipping path. Or send it to India and pay some guy a few cents to do a clipping path.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Shoot things with back light and move sliders to right.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

teamgod posted:

Which sliders, exactly?

It looks like almost all of them. Fill light, saturation, contrast, clarity, etc.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Cross_ posted:

The poster for the new movie "Captain America" has me intrigued. What did they do to get this look ?

It's mostly lighting, but it also looks to me like a decent amount of dodge and burn for contrast and obviously his skin, hair, etc. has been cleaned up a lot.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I use a 4x5 tablet as my "travel" tablet for jobs and have no problems doing very heavy retouching with it. I think the medium sized tablets are the best, 9x12 and up for me is too big for photo retouching. Trying to use a mouse for retouching is like trying to perform surgery with an axe. If you're just removing zits then it's not worth it, but anything more involved than that to me there's no question. There is a very slight learning curve but once you get over it you can do a lot of things that are impossible with a mouse.

As for "how do I get better at clone stamp" just practice a LOT.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
You can probably make doing the tile easier by using the Vanishing Point tool.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
That just looks like makeup to me... I don't think he did much to it at all.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
How can you duplicate a group of layers from one file to another using an action?

I have a source image that has a bunch of layers. I need to copy them over to another file using an action (so I can then Batch a bunch of files).

When making the action it won't record dragging and dropping the group over. Using the "Duplicate" command will spit out an error when you try to run the action through Batch. Placing the source file as a Smart Object would work perfectly, except you can't set a Smart Object to "Pass Through" blend mode like you can with a group of layers which is what I need to do.

What I could do is just make an action that recreates all these layers manually but it seems like there has to be a simpler way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah I tried that, but you can't set a smart object to "pass through" blend mode which is what I need.

• Locked thread