Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

quazi posted:

Here's one I already have a writeup for

Quazi, I think there may be a better, or at least different, way to achieve what you were going for. Keep in mind this is just quick 'n dirty.

I took your original image and did the following:

1. add duplicate layer on top
2. to original layer, add hue/saturation, exposure, and brightness/contrast adjustment layers
3. to duplicate layer, add a layer mask to block off the bottom of the image

And you're done. In mine the sky is a little lighter, however you could add in an adjustment layer to the top layer to darken it or add contrast if that's what you wanted. (edit: actually, changing the top layer to "multiply" makes the sky pop nicely, though I didn't do that here.)

FunkyJunk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

You guys need to just have sex and be done with it.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

quazi, beautiful image and thanks for the writeup.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

ferdinand posted:

Helpful things you probs know but others might not:
When dodging/burning press option to switch without having to use the toolbar.
[ and ] to quickly switch brush sizes
"shift [" and "shift ]" to switch harndess of the brush

Thanks, ferdinand. I'd certainly be interested in reading more about your techniques.

Some other very useful shortcuts that I use when zoomed in (mostly for illustration though):

b - switch to the brush
e - switch to eraser
h - switch to the hand

I suggest finding out what the keyboard shortcuts are for the tools you use the most. It can REALLY speed up your processes.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

KennyG posted:

It's debatable of "faster" versus slower... but Hardware for hardware it's about equal. Throw in the fact that you are paying a significant mactax for apple, it's not faster.

I am assuming those two configurations you listed were aproximately the same price... the 3.0ghz will stomp the mac mini. Load 8gb of ram into that 3.0ghz on Vista 64 and you will be shocked - all for less than buying the cheap mac mini.

Maybe true, but then he's got to use craptastic Vista on it. There's more to a computer than its speed. I have to use that lovely OS at work, but there's no way in hell I'm going to use it when I get home. The "apple tax" is worth it at twice the price IMO.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Cythrelo posted:

With Vista, it's extremely easy. I've used Vista with both ATI and nVidia cards, and setting up multiple displays is as simple as plugging them in and setting it to extend your desktop across both displays. Not only that, but unless there's an issue with it that I don't know about, color management works just fine with multiple monitors.

I use Vista at work on a fairly new (6 months or so) Dell Latitude 630 and it's a piece of poo poo, including multiple monitors. It crashes at least once a day, has all sorts of driver problems, and when I undock the laptop from an external monitor, the OS forgets where my desktop icons are and what my calibrations settings are. When I redock it, Vista forgets where the laptop monitor should be in relation to the external monitor and what my calibration settings should be and again strews my icons all over the desktop.

My Macbook never does anything of the sort when plugging/unplugging from an external monitor.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Cythrelo posted:

While I do use two identical monitors, I've never had a problem using different colour profiles for each. It all works exactly like it should for me.

Maybe it's the difference between custom-building your own (using stable drivers straight from the hardware manufacturers) and buying a pre-built one with pre-installed drivers that's causing the differing opinions here? Pre-built manufacturers tend to vary WILDLY, but if you're building your own, it's usually pretty consistent.

I'm using custom profiles from a Spyder calibrator. But you guys are right, this isn't SHSC. Cythrelo said it well. A Vista machine is cheaper. If you don't mind Vista, go for it. A Mac is more expensive. If you see the value in that, spend the money.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

By the way, I think I read that Lightroom has an update out now (in general release, not release candidate) to stop memory leaks, among other things.

edit: Yep, 2.3 available now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

porcellus posted:

Does post-proc include organization? I'm having a hard time understanding the mentality to organizing, naming, trimming, exporting, folder locations, etc etc. that's key to not moving like a turtle when I'm editing photos.

Right now I'm name the photo batch when I import [Month-Day-Year][Title][#] and move it into folder that also contains catalog. I flag rejects, edit->select rejects and delete off of disk. This part is bad, but I export it into a seperate folder on Desktop as jpegs and upload to flickr. Then I flag the ones that are good enough to print.

Absolutely, file management is part of post-processing.

You can get a Lightroom plugin to directly export your photos to Flickr. That'll save you a couple of steps. You don't have to export any JPGs anywhere to do it. Keep your files in RAW and let the plugin do the work.

Also, I recommend you change your naming convention to year-month-day (eg 20090307 or 2009-03-07). It'll help you later, as you can sort them by name and they'll automatically be sorted by date too. You won't have to be in LR or any other program to quickly find what you want. Lightroom can automatically rename everything to this convention if you tell it to.

• Locked thread