Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

pipes! posted:

Different people do different things for different reasons. Stop loving up such an informative thread.

To add to this, if you do not like a specific technique, don't use it. Nobody's forcing you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Note that quazi's method works if the picture lends itself to. If the sun was visible at all, it will create lens flare and possibly ruin the frame where the building was correctly exposed. Just wanted to point that caveat.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

poopinmymouth posted:

Yep, said that in my post, I know it has more control, yet I'm proficient in photoshop, and find it far easier to WB in LR with the WB tools than photoshop. I guess that answers my question that there is no easy way to correct it within PS.

Sometimes match color works:

Image->Adjustments->Match Color-> Neutralize

It is a destructive procedure though.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

diarrhea for girls posted:

Thanks WZ! I'll give it a try when I have something worth using it on. :)

It's definitely not a portrait preset. 'Cause I tried.

Works beautiful for landscapes though. Thanks White Zombie :)

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

You have to start with good overall color to begin with.

What brad is saying is right on the money, this is usually shot right at dusk, look at the timestamp:

21:33:09

...which is 9:30 pm. So a tripod will be nice to get as much exposure as possible.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
That content fill thingy is probably going to be useful for portrait people like and limited space.

In other news: How can I replicate Lightroom's Heal tool in Photoshop? They behave, and function, slightly different. I like Lightroom's result better, so much that I would use the heal tool on Lightroom over Photoshop's Patch tool sometimes.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

Yeah I do this stuff all the time. It's not impossible or hard, it's just tedious.

Key word right there. People who need to push an image out quickly will love this tech.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Forgot how to make abs look better, found this easy to use tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRINyoIIIrg

My results:

Before

After

(Are they over done? Or do they look alright?)

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

I can't tell what you did either, just increased contrast?

Pretty much yes, increase darks and highlights and mask appropriately.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

poopinmymouth posted:

I forgot to mention, don't just use big rear end soft brushes when doing muscles. That only increases volume. If you want to actually make a muscle look defined, you need hard edges, black right against white. Small soft brushes are for this. I didn't really make his abs any bigger, I just made the creases between them sharper, as if his skin was thinner and shrink wrapped.

Thank you, much appreciated. I think the difference is that you used sharper brushes to define the muscles, whereas I used softer ones.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

Ever since I started using lots of adjustment brushes LR has been slow as gently caress, which is unfortunate because I prefer to do dodging/burning in the RAW conversion.

This times 10

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

TequilaJesus posted:

Thank you.

I hate to turn this into a troubleshooting thread, but I'm not sure where else to ask:

I was using Lightroom this morning (well, it was minimized while I was using Firefox,) when my computer froze up on me. Now, when I try to launch Lightroom, it tells me my catalog "cannot be opened because another application already has it opened," telling me to "Quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch."

As far as I can tell, this is entirely untrue. What could be causing this?

Did you try to terminate the process in the Task Manager?

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
How about deleting the lockfile?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=741777

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

The main thing that jumps out at me about that is that they softened the background and then sharpened/went crazy with contrast on the subject (with light and also obviously PS). And then dodged (IMO poorly) behind the subject.

Don't overuse high-pass, mask it in very selectively with a low opacity brush and do it slow. And don't use filters or other processing tricks when good old fashioned dodge and burn will do it.

Also good hair. Try to add kick to anyone without proper hair and you'll see a lot more hairs sticking around. Either that or very good PS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

Cross_ posted:

For people playing "guess the llighting", it's actually on the flickr page:

PPIMM wins

• Locked thread