Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Paragon8 posted:

What's the best tutorial out there for photoshop. I feel like I have a good command of what I use mostly, but I'm always finding random new things like "what I can add a border just by using the stroke command instead of loving around with creating a big white square that's slightly bigger than my image?"

Why wouldn't you just 'increase canvas' with the dialogue set to 'relative' so you just need to key in how big you want your border to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

AtomicManiac posted:

Fair enough, however I don't think I've ever had a shot that couldn't be fixed by converting to black and white, and if you're shooting on a Rebel like me, you'd rather have 32 frames instead of the 4 or whatever before the buffer needs to clear. I shot raw one time, and while the buffer cleared I missed the bass player jumping off a drum kit. Never again, It just doesn't make sense to me when black and white is more than fine.

As for the House of Blues, I caught that too, it was more of a "general advice" when shooting concerts. Obviously there's exceptions, but more often then not you can get away with shooting flash on local/regional and lesser known national bands.

As for the "Keep him red", I agree with this, if you really don't like the way it looks try it in black and white.

I know reading can be difficult for you, so let me boil down what every one else is saying:

You don't know what you're talking about, and you're probably a moron as well

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Gryi posted:

Processing seems to include tons of warming, selective blur, and probably motion blur on the sun rays. I may be pixel peeping but it looks like just to the left of the bride's legs, you can see where he missed a spot. Looks overdone to me if you want my opinion.

Is the only reason I'm not getting work because I don't make people look like they were in the movie 300?

I may not be seeing what you're talking about, but it more or less looks like that blur is lens-based, to my eye anyway. The sun, I dunno, but that in theory at least could be flare. To me, the biggest thing that's going on is some pretty heavy sharpening that is giving it that contrast that seems to trigger feelings of love or hate, depending on who is viewing the photo.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is there a way to disable Aperture including the file name as a caption when uploading photos to Facebook?

You just have to stop giving pictures file names that reflect what you think of the people in them. No more bigfatidiot.jpg.

Or do what Evilkiksas suggests-- if you just make a blanket caption for a given event that you import (along with blanket keywords) you will solve this problem and wind up with more detail on your images.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Martytoof posted:

I'm looking for an OSX specific app that might or might not exist. The app in question should have / would be able to:

- Ingest a folder of images and let me assign metadata tags to each one
- Incrementally look through the folder on subsequent load and show me images which have NO tags
- Have no actual photo editing features whatsoever
- Have the ability to show me all available metadata tags so I can quickly and easily pull up a list of images I want to see. Possibly export those somewhere but that's not a necessary feature.

I need this for a non-photography reason, but in my mind I can see this being something that photo journalists might use to organize large shoots? Or maybe people who do a lot of stock photography?

I suppose if it comes down to it I can use Lightroom, but that seems way overkill for what I need it for, and I'm not sure off the top of my head whether Lightroom can filter by images with no user-added metadata.

I think you already found your answer but the default batch organization and metadata program is Photo Mechanic -- it fits these requirements (except, I suppose, that you can make it crop...)

Highly recommended for people who are trying to organize and do selection on huge batches of images.

• Locked thread