Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Remy Marathe posted:

Straightening a photo- This might be obvious to everyone but me, but before I was shown it I'd straighten pics using transform/rotate. I did it by eye before I learned about the rulers, but even with rulers using rotate leaves a skewed square photo with the background colors at the corners, which you then have to crop out anyway.

Adobe Camera Raw is easier. Just use the "straighten" tool, draw a line on any line you want to be horizontal or vertical and it straightens and crops automatically (if you want, it won't crop if you tell it not to."

Click here for the full 1183x766 image.

Click here for the full 1183x766 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopinmymouth posted:

Soft light seems to allow the affect without you "seeing" it. One thing I dislike is when your methodology is apparent. Overlay might work in some cases, but I found I had to back off the layer transparency till it basically looked like the soft light method.

When I sharpen in a similar way, I find that hard light and overlay both have harsh halos, and, as you say, you have to back off so far you might as well use soft light.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopinmymouth posted:

How do you white balance properly in Photoshop? WB in Lightroom is so easy, you can easily warm or cool the WB, or use the eye dropper, OR use the presets. Is there a similar option in photoshop? I normally WB for my subject, and I guess I could re white balance for background, and send that to photoshop too, then mask them together, but I'd love it if there was an actual tool that replicated easy WB within photoshop. I know it gives you more control technically, but I've never been able to white balance properly within photoshop, but can very easily do it in Lightroom.

Camera Raw is the easiest way I've found. Similar to LR I'd guess, with a temperature gauge as the most straight-forward.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

FunkyJunk posted:

Maybe true, but then he's got to use craptastic Vista on it. There's more to a computer than its speed. I have to use that lovely OS at work, but there's no way in hell I'm going to use it when I get home. The "apple tax" is worth it at twice the price IMO.

I've yet to find a problem with Vista64. Not to mention that CS4 actually takes advantage of 64 bit processing. Buy a new system and you'll never notice any of the "problems" of Vista.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

He suddenly disappeared when challenged to show his own work didn't he? Fire away!

I'm going to venture a guess that his refusal to show his work, a consistent stance, did not motivate him to stop posting, but rather the fact that it was always an argument.

Mind you, started by him, usually, but still, always an argument. His staying away on that basis is admirable.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
He's not even posting and it's turning to a bitch fest. Maybe that's why he's not posting.

As for not posting his shots, if one doesn't want critique, one doesn't post ones shots. Seems simple to me. His arrogance certainly put him in a place where he didn't seek critique here, but that's his call.

His presence casts its shadow on us even now. That's the true sign of greatness, right?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spog posted:

You can learn from my mistakes: I wanted to do a bunch of prints, so I took 5 representative samples and had them printed at 4 different shops. I examined the prints and picked the shop that gave the closest to what I considered 'accurate' colours and then sent the big batch to that shop.

Unfortunately, I didn't hang around to observe the operator hammering on the '+5 Magenta' button because he felt that my pictures would look better if they all had a lot more red in them.

So much for that grand idea!

So, Ken Rockwell made your prints?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SeXReX posted:

I load my photos into Windows live gallery and hit auto fix, if I don't like the results I hit undo and do it myself, the few options available are enough to fine tune photos, besides, why waste your time on the computer when you can get it right on the camera.

LOOKOUT EVERYONE!!!!! TROLLLLLLLLLLLLL

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Man_alive posted:

The day was rather clear, and the light was good, I have only really had issues with the halos that are appearing on the people's heads.
Is there any way to try and fix this, or at least reduce the severity of it?
(Be gentle, I am only really starting out in this...)

http://tricks.onigo.net/guides/2005/09/chromatic-aberration-step-by-step.html

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

the posted:

Hello, i'm hoping one of you may have an easy fix for this issue. When I view my pictures in Adobe Bridge the colors look great, but when I open the same picture in Photoshop CS3 the pictures lose some saturation. If I save the file and re-open in bridge, it looks great again. (i'm going through this since I just got a new PC and monitor)

Here is a screenshot to illustrate:

Click here for the full 1032x799 image.

Bridge and photoshop both seem to be set to "North America General Purpose 2" color settings. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

You know that Raw has sliders that adjust the picture on import, right? It's not just zeroed out and left like it is in Bridge. To me, the picture on the right looks like it has some sharpening, maybe some exposure compensation not just saturation. Looks better to me, generally, than the one on the left.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TsarAleksi posted:

It might be helpful to know that shooting at 50 doesn't actually help you pull from the shadows-- in fact it might be hurting you. Because it's not a native ISO in the 5D2, shooting at 50 actually reduces the dynamic range and should be reserved for when you absolutely must use it because of shooting with strobes or a large aperture.

This has been my experience as well. ISO 50 is for when I need longer shutter speeds, but no other purpose. ISO 100 is the "base" and has the least noise/broadest dynamic range for the 5d.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bottom Liner posted:

reposting this from the wedding thread to hopefully get a suggestion tonight:

Question; I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow thats outside on a mountain hillside and the guests will be facing straight at the sun at 5:00 when the ceremony starts. I was there today for the rehearsal and the lighting was a pain in the rear end. The backlighting was so strong I either had completely over exposed sky or completely underexposed subjects. Is my only solution to use flash during the ceremony? Can I edit this to be nice and soft somehow? What should I be metering in a scene this dynamic? Here's the setup:

(straight from camera, and I have no idea how to make it look decent)

In short, how do I deal with intense backlit sun here?

Flash. Can't think of any other way that wouldn't be more intrusive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

I'm a beginner and I would love some advice on post-processing for the following picture:

I'm pretty lost with this picture. I want the bison to really pop out but after playing with the levels for a long time I realised I need some advice. All my attempts looked washed out and muted. I think the snow is throwing off everything else.

Have you thought about using local contrast? Duplicate layer, high pass filter, mask out all but the bison, set to hard light for blending.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SynVisions posted:

Heavenly HDR Wallpaper is right

Why that looks just like one of woot fatigue's carefully crafted images. I'm sure he's kicking himself he didn't just do it this way instead of his method of meticulously ensuring quality and accuracy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Got the Photoshop CS5 trial today and decided to run it through it's paces. Pretty happy with it so far. Predictably it does a lot better with open space then with details, but it saves a lot of time over cloning.

Note: I had to fix some details in the trees and shadows on the house by hand, but overall not too bad.

I also did a few quick panoramas and used CAF to fill in some of the missing corners with good success as well.

edit: Accidently filled part of the image that didn't need to be and hosed it up completely.

I preordered the upgrade version, so I'm just patiently waiting.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Maverique posted:

I'm glad I'm not being totally unreasonable. To be honest I didn't shoot that particular image, my friend did, and he did so on a tripod. It's on f/8 and 800 ISO, he took a bunch of that particular lamp/wall combo and that was the one that was sharpest coming out of the camera (all shot in sRAW on a 5D Mk II). It's just like you say, it should be tack sharp contrast, all lines in the stone pretty define and clear as if they were on film, but I don't know if that's even reasonable to want.

I'm making a transition from film to digital, so these things aren't still totally clear to me.

^^^ Looks better than mine, thanks! I'll remember that.

f/8 on what lens? Why sRaw instead of raw? and why ISO 800 if shot on a tripod? One result of higher ISO is more difficulty sharpening.

Reshoot that at f/5.6, ISO 100 and see if your sharpness is better.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Haggins posted:

That's just silly. All you have to do is be a real jerk and you'll remain behind with plenty of access to your files.

Yeah, given the post, I think he's ok for rapture purposes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GWBBQ posted:

It lost too much detail in the clipped highlights to be salvageable. Her skin is all blotchy and her jawline and mouth have that ugly oversharpened look to them.

eidt: looked at the exif, 1/15, f/11, ISO1600. ISO1600 isn't a good place to start if you want sharp, clear images.

To expand on this: No part of those settings are ideal for sharpness.

1/15, unless shot on a tripod, is prone to motion blur, and even then, subject movement can kill sharpness.

f/11 is not as sharp as f/5.6 because of diffraction.

ISO1600 is going to be hard to get large sized, really sharp images from an A33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Syrinxx posted:

Paintshop Photo Pro X3 is the Amazon gold box deal today. Is this worth looking at if I already have Lightroom 3?

Eh. PSP is really good, and is a knock off of PS, but if LR does what you need, don't bother.

• Locked thread