Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
whoops, was meant for the people thread.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I didn't see a difference either.

This is a case where knowing anatomy and how to straight up paint lighting from nothing (which enables you to create details that adhere to an existing light source) come in handy.

Dodge and burn and a little high pass gives:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I forgot to mention, don't just use big rear end soft brushes when doing muscles. That only increases volume. If you want to actually make a muscle look defined, you need hard edges, black right against white. Small soft brushes are for this. I didn't really make his abs any bigger, I just made the creases between them sharper, as if his skin was thinner and shrink wrapped.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

rear end is my canvas posted:

Try this- use a selective color adjustment layer above and set it to luminosity. Slide the red and yellow around for contrast. If the color shifts too much desaturate the reds and yellows with a hue/saturation adjustment layer.

This plus high pass only can make existing definition pop more. If you want to truly make a person look ripped, you are often either adding new shadows or highlights that weren't present in the first place, or changing how it responds to existing details.

Contrast adjustments are fine for the end, but most fitness touchup goes in and is adding new information with brush work. For example the individual muscles on the sides of the ribcage on LouisX's model were made stronger by hooking the shadows around the insertion points. That happens on people who do tons of chinups and torso stabilization exercises. He didn't have that detail at all in the originals, so contrast and high pass won't bring it out, it was a flat gradient with no detail.

If you get into that kind of work, you can do more radical changes:

vs

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

Ever since I started using lots of adjustment brushes LR has been slow as gently caress, which is unfortunate because I prefer to do dodging/burning in the RAW conversion.

I make sure my new brushes are all zeroed out, paint with O toggled so it gives me red overlay, and hit all the areas first. It's lighting fast when you aren't actually changing the pixels. Then I go in and change the settings of that brush, which is also very fast. It's only when painting with a brush that is actively changing exposure or saturation, etc that it gets slow.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

That's a good tip. My problem is I am anal and once you get over 3 or so brushes on an image that whole loving program turns into beach ball land.

Yep, I try to place the initial brush stroke in an area that will help me identify it later, so an iris brush goes over the iris first. Face brush goes on the forehead first, sky in the sky, etc. That way they are at least on top of the right area to help clue in the work.

But how many are we talking here? I don't think I've ever had more than 3 before I feel like photoshop would be quicker and easier.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

AtomicManiac posted:

I don't think shooting raw is really going to help much with concert photos. You did a pretty good job cleaning it up, my only real recommendation would be to get the bands permission to use flash, then you can shoot with ISO 100 and knock down the lights to make your own lighting. Alternatively, get faster glass/full frame camera or convert to black and white.

You should probably lurk and not offer advice on stuff like this till you know better, as both of these points are completely wrong.

Jpeg will not have enough data to shift WB to where it needs to be without a shitload of pixels clipping and losing color fidelity. If you are shooting in crappy or mixed colored lighting, always always always shoot raw. Flash photography for live bands is almost always a no-no as it looks better with the stage lighting and the musicians are already greasy and sweaty which on camera flash will exaggerate.

The first and easiest way to improve post work on live event photography is to shoot raw so you have more data to work with.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Finally did that compositing video. I'm always waffling between making my tutorials (normally I do them on 3d stuff) in depth or surface level. I think I might have made this one too quick, but it's my first photography related one.

http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/09/bandpromocovervideotutorial.html

band promo cover by mr-chompers, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

Nice job, that looks really good. Is there a reason you didn't path the people out? I know how painful it is to do people by hand and it looked like you would have gotten a cleaner result using the pen tool. High five for smart objects, most useful under used PS feature ever.

Also those posters... "Photography is 1% talent 99% moving furniture" :)

I would have loved to remove all of them, but the guy who owned the space was letting me use it for free and asked I only remove the ones hanging on nails, not the ones stapled in. The wall was even more crowded originally, hahah.

I always feel like paths are too sharp? I dunno, I should start using them, but I like how I can use different softness brushes for different softness of edge transition (like on hair vs the skin of the arms).

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

How useful would several very short videos be on super simple things like:

*masks
*clipping layers
*blend-if settings
*sharpening
*exposure/photo filter
*etc

Think maybe 1 minute tops just going a bit more in depth exactly how each aspect works?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Cannister posted:

Those do sound interesting - I'm don't even know what blend-if settings are. I'd personally like to learn a lot more about blending modes in PS. I know they're a really powerful tool and I'd like to learn how to better use them and what each one does exactly.

Blend if gives you some p powerful options, I might do that tonight. Basically lets you use the mathematical brightness of either the current layer, or layers below, to say whether the actual layer you're doing it on is visible or not.

You can use blend if to reveal a layer only when one below it is over a certain brightness, for instance. Very easy for popping in a new sky when the first layer's sky is blown out.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Cross_ posted:

Whenever I try to do blend-ifs, I end up with something that looks dithered. As if a dissolve layer mode was involved or something. Alt-clicking and spreading the sliders helps a little but the grain is still there. :(

Unless your image has crazy speckles of light on dark (or vice versa) it should be impossible to have grain if you've separated them. Watch this and keep in mind you can then add masks on top. I've never had the problem of grain remaining after using the blend if sliders separated. Post an example if you have one.

http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/09/blendifblendingoptionsinphotoshop.html

Here is a quick one on blend-if layer blending in photoshop. I used one example of blending in a sky, and a 2nd of using blend-if to control where your curves layer is working (though it could be used on any layer affect)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Cannister posted:

Here's a before & after shot:

before and after post by Eric Heiden, on Flickr

The main problem is that there is just too much to look at. I'd probably try to reduce contrast a bit on the upper part so it's not so attention drawing, let it be a bit more flat, it will still be grand by sheer design. Also the bride and the alter behind her are very flattening, I would do some kind of cutout on her to either make her bright on a dark background, or make her dark on a bright background, and then fade it till it looks more natural, but right now it's all so very flat because everything is contrasty and all the areas have almost full contrast range.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Cannister posted:

Wait, what? It's all so flat because everything is contrasty?

I don't know what you mean by that.

Tell you what. Because I like you so much, send me the raw file, bjm foto at gmail dot com. I'll show you what I mean.

(also, what Cross_ said)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I liked the dark purple of the before more.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone got a nice shot that is a bit noisy they'd be willing to give me as a full resolution to demonstrate my noise reduction technique? b j m foto (at) g mail dot com

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

I'll send you the full size of the picture I posted before if you like. You want JPEG or the RAW?

Raw

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

The situation: Until I found the WF RAW extension or whatever, I only shot in "Large Superfine" JPEG mode because I didn't have any way to edit RAW files. Now, my biggest issue is noise (Oly shootin' gently caress yeah :toot: ) when I can get bitchin' moments like this...

...that are so noisy that a black kid has specks of orange in his skin :psyduck:

Outside of this, I'm really just adjusting W/B when needed, maybe rotating pictures a bit, then crop and resize. The noise is the biggest issue. I graduated college in 2006, so that's out.

I have to do the writeup tomorrow, but here it is after denoising.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

That's a hundred times nicer. drat.

http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/10/noise-reduction.html Full writeup

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

What I'd be especially interested in is more in between photos. It seems like a lot of these tutorials sort of just get you started and then go "six hours later, this is what we get" - and it's incredibly discouraging when you're minutely dodge and burning and not seeing that much of an effect. I know it's about patience but it'd be nice to see what it looked like after 1 hour or after 2 hours and if I'm on the right time frame.

If itīs taking you even an hour to do all that, you need to A. buy a tablet, and B. practice more. Itīs time consuming yes, but not 2 hours. Learn the hotkeys, buy a tablet, practice more.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

flyingbathtubpirate posted:

Good point about my portfolio, it's pretty out of date to be honest. Most of my last 6 months of work with some seriously awesome photographers is in embargo land until it's published, so the whole site gets an OHSHITSON update in January.

Even without unnecessary mistakes, great skin, lighting and a $10 sweeping brush so I don't have to sweep your floors for you (imagine the savings! :v:) the hours are spent zoomed in to 300% making sure a thread of pixels isn't darker than the next.

This is a tiny crop of a wide shot;

Those lines or 'threads' running vertical on the cheek, that coffee bean looking light ring and those uneven mottled pixels on the nose are unacceptable. Srsly.

I know this is what your client's want, and that if they didn't deliver photographs like that, someone else would. Buuuuut, Do you ever feel like this is basically masturbation? If not even super models can be photographed without 7 hours of pixel level retouching for skin so flawless a spider's feet couldn't cling to it? That's not a real person at that point, why do so many people want to look at it?

I'm all for removing blemishes, unsightly wrinkles, etc. I do it on all my photos, but seriously? At some point isn't it too much?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

It takes maybe a day or two to get used to it. I do a lot of retouching on set, and am at least twice as fast with a tablet for things like clone stamping and and mask making. Using a mouse feels clumsy to me, everything takes 2-3 passes and you often have to backtrack to get things right where it would take 1 with a tablet. It's like scalpel vs. crappy paintbrush.

Plus you can't replace pen pressure with a mouse. Fine work needs control in opacity or flow to properly mask and blend.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

xzzy posted:

Do all raw images have an embedded jpeg, or is it only when shooting "RAW+L"? I've always thought it was the latter.

I shoot raw only and LR3 still does the auto-adjusting. My assumption has been that the first view is the actual raw file, and when LR3 changes it, it's applying the camera's white balance settings or exposure compensation.

All raw have the embedded preview, it is why raw + jpeg is kind of silly, though an easy way to extract that jpeg doesn't really exist.

Active D lighting is probably curves adjusted to the RAW making the jpeg, so yes, that's why it looked brighter. Learn how to use a spot meter, or find out whether your camera tends to over/under expose with center weighted and add in exposure compensation.

If you find you are always preferring the initial jpeg more than what you come up with, just shoot jpeg to begin with. I like the B&W files my 5D makes a lot, and for family candid shots where I know I won't be going in to do any crazy post work, I just set it to jpeg output.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

My friend was talking about a NYC ad photographer he works for who's style is very post-production heavy... who uses the menus for everything in PS. We were joking that being a digital technician is 90% knowing shortcut keys and 10% plugging in cables.

Even just knowing 0-9 [, ], x, and d makes you twice as fast at doing almost everything.

My favorite is holding space, right clicking and releasing space. for the "fit on screen, actual pixels, or print size" menu. Being able to slam from 100% to viewing all at any time is quite nice.

I hate that they removed R as the blur shortcut though. I reassigned it, but it still sucks not being able to toggle using the shift+R like you used to be able to, though I use smudge a lot less than I did.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

rear end is my canvas posted:

Filter> Stylize> Find Edges :D

What are you going for or trying to do?

Came here to post this. Find edges with a large radius, filter > other > maximize to increase it even more if needed, then blur to soften it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

moron posted:

I know this is going to be a highly subjective question, but does anyone have any opinions on what size tablet is ideal for photo editing and image manipulation in Photoshop?

I've used a tablet extensively in the past, but not for this kind of thing. I want to spring for a tablet as I want to ramp up my Photoshop usage dramatically, but I'm a bit prang about buying the wrong size. I've been immediately drawn to slightly larger models (e.g. an Intuos4 Large or second hand Intuos3 A4), but I'm not sure if that'd be overkill, especially considering I will be doing no actual drawing/painting/illustration on it (i'm a terrible artist).

I guess what I'm asking is, for those of you who have slightly smaller tablets, do you find it a ballache to do fiddly Photoshop stuff?

I have a 6x8 at home I've had forever. In the past work has given me an 8x10 (whatever the next size up is) and I found it too large and I didn't like how big of gestures I had to do.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

Can someone give some insight into how to process such a "painted" look?

I'm not after a "zomg how to be Dave Hill" but I really like this guys take on the typical Dave Hill wannabe legion.

Neighbor's Daughter was in Town by adriandavidpayne, on Flickr

Forget the HDR background, forget the lighting, I'm purely looking at the post processing on the model.

There really isn't anything painted looking at all about the subject. It's a contrasty main on a boom (small softbox or a beauty dish) and then harder rim lights, possibly bare flashes, but more likely small reflectors or even silver umbrellas, both at even power, behind and glancing off the edges.

If there is anything painterly about the image, it's the background (though I'd disagree on that too, but it's closer to fitting that description than the subject) so I'm curious why you feel she looks painterly? Is it the lack of specularity on her skin?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

A5H posted:

Why dodge behind her? Looks weird.

Also, does anyone have a good tutorial for masking? I've never actually tried to use it apart from to fake tilt shift.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/masks.htm

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Has anyone used Silkypix? It looks like it has basically every function of Lightroom. I only ask because the Fuji x100 comes with a full version and that's the only Raw editor that will be out at launch. Also I... *cough* haven't exactly purchased Lightroom and I have to reinstall it every launch to get it to work. If Silkypix replicates the experience well enough I might just stick with it. Sucks they didn't go with lightroom like the Leica X1.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone know of a software for the following:

Put camera on tripod
Take photo of background
Take photo with subject in it.

The sofware would be given the two images, and perfectly cut out the subject, based on only pixels that are different between the two images. There has to be some kind of compositing plugin that can do this. Ideas?

*edit* it can't really be as easy as photoshop's difference blending mode, can it? Anyone tried this?

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 3, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

You suck at :files:

In any case, I tried the valid SilkyPix that came with my LX3 and it was loving horrible.

What was so bad about it?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Stability, processing and interface (especially the labels), but that was 2 years ago. Also the setup would just silently crash on one of my machines.
I got LR and never looked back, but it's not like they take half a year to update their RAW decoder, so you won't be stuck with Silky for too long.

Yeah, I was just hoping not to have to buy a LR license if I really like silkypix.

Here is a quote from another forum, just wondering what people thing (especially Brad) I don't feel like I'm prevented from getting good color from LR with my camera profile loaded, but I found this post interesting. (even though anyone who thinks Lightroom is junk is probably not all that knowledgable)

poopingmymouth posted:

Not only that, but, aside from the fact that I find DPP a soccer mom's toy compared to lightroom, the X100 comes with silkypix, not the Fuji editor. I checked out the silkypix feature list and it looks like it matches up very similarly to Lightroom in function and features. I'm eager to try.

Not to mention that the released images at least noise wise look better than the Rebel's sensor.

Not to mention that many of us professing interest in the X100 already *have* a dslr, and higher level models than the Rebel line.

some dude posted:

Ha, and I consider Lightroom a comical piece of junk.

Both DPP and fuji's processor are designed for accurate color as the goal, they describe the sensor with a look up table (LUT) profile, each pixel is defined on an 'x-y graph' independently of the others. Then this is converted directly into the output space, srgb, Adobe98, etc. That is why they are so simple, there's a limited amount you can do on that one conversion.

Adobe and silkypix use a matrix profiles. The camera pixels 0 and 255 are defined and everything between is just a gamma adjusted line. I'n Lightroom's case the camera profile is converted into a second matrix color space (Melissa, aw, he named it after his daughter), and then converted again to the output space. That's why they have all those knobs so you can get the color right, their partner Greytag will even sell you a profiling kit so you can make the attempt yourself with their blender of a raw processor. Fun huh?

There's a reason most pros use C1, who also write LUT profiles for cameras. Adobe apparently finds it too time consuming, money's better spent on the GUI, I guess.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Evilkiksass posted:

Hey how bout them photoshops...

Seriously though, is there any way to set some default values for Save for Web & Devices so it doesn't sit there for 5 mins trying to render everything at 100%? Ideally it would just default to 1% or so and then just let me enter some values from there.

As soon as the bar stars, hit "esc" and it won't render it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I'm using PSE 9 and stumbled upon something annoying: I want to crop my photos to an aspect ration of 15:10 but the crop tool seems inadequate for this:

PSE offers various aspect ratios but none match the format I want. I also have the option to manually enter the number of x and y pixels (or inches) I want. BUT if I do that PSE automatically resizes the picture after the crop to these numbers. I think this is highly annoying. All I want is to crop a lot of photos from point & shoot cameras to 15:10 without automatic resizing (as in: enter aspect ratio and then enlarge a rectangle with that aspect ratio like in Picasa). Am I missing something? Thanks.

You want canvas size, not image size.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

How is that worse? Saving for web is generally the last thing you do and resizing only takes a second. Not only that but the save for web will have to resize your photo anyway which will take just as long (if not longer). The whole point of having the render is to see how much you can compress the image without it being noticeable. If you aren't watching the render then how do you know you've chosen the optimum amount to compression? By resizing before going in you can actually see the final result and it renders instantly.

If I'm resizing. I hit ctrl+a to select all, ctrl+shift+c to copy merged, ctrl+alt+n for a new canvas (it will auto size to what's in the clipboard), ctrl+v for paste, flatten, then resize using the option that is best for reduction, sharpen to taste, then save for web. That's why I like lightroom so much more most of the time. :-)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

Actions. Use them.

It doesn't really help him if I say "I use my flatten for web action" now, does it?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Or you could do it properly like Brad suggested and use masks. Masks really are one of the most fundamental tools of photoshop and you need to know how to use them. Not only are they vastly more adaptable and easier to use than selections, but you can ctrl+click them it creates a selection from them.

Technically "saved selections" are masks, they just go into the alpha channels rather than applied to a layer.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

LR is basically ACR, not PS. It works from the RAW file so it's not the same as working as a raster image in PS.

Yeah but technically you can open the RAW as a smart object in photoshop and "re ACR process" it at any time.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

William T. Hornaday posted:

I need a lot of help. I'm trying to teach myself Photoshop (which I have very little experience with), and I'm falling flat on my face right out of the gate.

This image, for instance:

1) I want to get rid of that branch in the background. I know how to (rudimentarily) use the clone stamp tool, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a much, much easier way to deal with it. And is it possible to preserve the strands of hair in front of it?

2) I want to pretty much kill (i.e., desaturate and darken) that green in the background. Doing color range on it leaves a pretty rough edge and doesn't really get in amongst the hair. I've tried playing around with layer masks (which I think I understand) for hue/saturation and selective color adjustments; the green and bit of blue is pretty easy to get rid of, but there's a whole lot of yellow left over that I can't cleanly remove while leaving it alone in the rest of the image. No matter what I try, everything seems to get really ugly in the edge between the hair and background.

Are there tools or techniques that make this stuff easier than what I'm making it?

Duplicate entire layer, flip it horizontally, apply an inverted mask so itīs all hidden, paint into the mask to reveal on top of the branch, The hair will have a bit of symmetry, but then you have a clean green edge you can get rid of the more telling fly away hairs that give away what you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What a bunch of cocksuckers.

Yes, truly women and gay men are objects of derision, to which shady companies should be compared so that all know how horrible they are. (because they are like gays and women, both very bad things to be of course)

• Locked thread