Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

friendship waffle posted:

I didn't realize the photo-a-day thread was for dickwaving, somehow I thought it was for critique. I get feedback on my work from other avenues.

It's pointless for me to post a portfolio for you guys to hate on just because you don't like the tone of my posts. I don't need validation from the internet.

Im not typically one to jump in the middle of any sort of e-penis contest but after reading your posts for months on end, not having seen much (or any) of your work for having had so much to say, seeing the reasons you have been banned/probated, and then this most recent overly pretentious post....I have a few things to say.

Im going to go ahead and address them point by point and let it die so that I dont poo poo on the thread and derail it because I think this thread is a benefit to the SA Creative Convention Community.

1) Having read your posts with much respect for so long...
I really do appreciate your opinion because it is very critical and informational. It is obvious you have had a great education and have a passion for what you do. Thanks to you a lot of people have learned how to become better photographers. However you come off as a very arrogant and pretentious person by how it is that you phrase your responses. Of course a lot of these photos suck, but thats why this isnt called "The worlds greatest photos per day" thread. We all want critique but theres a difference between criticism and being an rear end in a top hat. Ive seen your posts for quite some time now and generally they are pretty negative and bring people down when you could easily have eased back on the sass and helped someone. This brings me to my next point.

2) In design school we had a rule, if you have nothing to show you also have nothing to say.
It seems odd to have to say this but it is frustrating when people post their work, some of which didnt take much effort and some who work their asses off, but still show their work regardless to get broken down and essentially mocked by you when they see nothing of your work to establish your credibility. It is also important to note that criticism should be constructive meaning that it shouldnt always just be the negative, offer suggestions on how to improve aside from "this looks like crap dont do it" instead of "this looks bad, maybe try this...". I know that good criticism is priceless but the way you give "criticism" almost turns people away from photography and makes them feel like crap because they think that everyone who knows anything about photography is as disrespectful as others claim you to be.

3) Having been banned twice and probated several times, people make mistakes...
...but generally people also learn from their mistakes. I think I recall my first year being littered with stupid mistakes Ive done on the forums, once in particular stating "history of stupidity". I would have imagined that after having been banned/on probation that many times you might have gotten the clue. Being the rear end in a top hat in a thread isnt a good thing, I dont even recall people being this brash in the Sports Argument Stadium, maybe we should retitle a photography thread "Photography Argument Convention" or "Photographers Dick Waving Vanguard".

4) And This Quote.....

I didn't realize the photo-a-day thread was for dickwaving, somehow I thought it was for critique. I get feedback on my work from other avenues.

Its funny because by the nature of your sarcasm and arrogance, one could make the claim that you are the one waving the most dick.

It's pointless for me to post a portfolio for you guys to hate on just because you don't like the tone of my posts. I don't need validation from the internet.

Its not pointless to post your stuff, I am being completely honest and would like to see your work. I am curious to see your style as I am sure many people are. Hopefully others in the thread would be big enough people not to crap on your images out of sheer disrespect for you. Your work would speak for itself. As for you claiming you dont need validation from the internet, I find this interesting because it seems that of most people, you thrive on being "that guy" in the forums who people cant stand. As frequently as you post, you either like hearing the hypothetical sound of your internet voice or use the internet to build your confidence and feel better about yourself having gone to school for photography and it being worth while because clearly some of the people in this thread, myself included, are not up to that standard.

Thats all I have to say, I dont intend to start any sort of flame war by any means as I really do respect you Friendship Waffle, but you make it really hard to keep that respect with the way you dont give it to anyone else here. If you dislike what you see and hear in this forum as much as you make it sound, why do you stick around? Im not trying to shoo you at all but your actions seem contradictory to your statements.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

RangerScum posted:

Some people asked how I got the dark look from the foggy day pictures, I will give a brief and sloppy run-down.

1. The original incredibly grey picture. It's foggy.
2. Slight exposure boost, increased clarity and contrast.
3. Maxed blacks.
4. Exposure boost, reduced highlights.
5. Desatured blue and aqua.

It's pretty easy, I did it all in Lightroom.

Im not sure how I missed this but I was very curious how you processed this image and I have been meaning to ask but have been so busy lately. Thanks for posting this.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

scottch posted:

What sort of changes are you making? If you're doing adjustments like layers, curves, saturation, etc., use adjustment layers. Just use a soft brush to mask out the areas you do not want affected by your adjustments. All very non-destructible and easy to modify later.

I work in a creative office and realized not everyone knows this. A fellow creative always destroyed images by not doing adjustment layers. Finally when it came time to work on a file she had been working on, I realized everything was flattened and I couldn't adjust anything. Luckily our production team saves original images just for moments like these.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

Any tips/advice would be most appreciated.

Make a mask, paint out the eagle. Use a semi hard round brush. You don't want to use a solid brush or the outline will seem to hard. You also don't want to use too soft of a brush or the edges will seem too feathered, no pun intended. Something in the 60-80 hardness range will probably work.

For the areas that you think are difficult (I feel like there is a pretty distinct boundary but Im also on a calibrated monitor), try using the pen tool to create a vecor mask. You can always soften the edge but the pen tool is a great way to mask things off very quickly. It will be able to recreate those natural curves of the wing tips that you wouldn't be able to freehand with your mouse and a brush.

If you are worried about it taking too long, it comes with time. Masking something like this probably wouldn't take me any longer than a few minutes to do either way, probably faster with the pen tool.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

Is there a way to batch process a group of photos in LR or PS to automatically change the exposure to 1 stop under exposed? The set of photos in question range from -1 EV to +2 EV and I want to automatically change them all to the same EV.

I know of how to do it in Bridge with Raw files so I can only imagine that you can do the same in lightroom.

In bridge you open one photo with camera raw and then change the exposure and then just copy the development settings and paste to all the photos you want to apply the change to.

In photoshop, you would probably just open the photo you want to change, record an action, and then save it. When you want to edit the batch, just go to image processing, and then apply the action.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways but thats my first guess.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

LargeHadron posted:

It sounds to me like he/she wants to do something more complex. He/she has photos that vary in exposure and he/she wants them all to be set to the same exposure relative to the correct exposure, not the same exposure offset of the actual exposure. So he/she has one photo that is overexposed by 1 EV and another that is overexposed by 2 EV, and he/she wants both photos to be set to -1 EV relative to the correct exposure. Frankly I don't think it's possible to do this automatically. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

e: sorry for the presumptuous gender pronouns

Ahh, I misread, I was thinking he/she wanted to bump everything +/- 1EV, not get everything to a specific EV.

Yes I also don't know if that is possible

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Haggins posted:

I ended up trying a few things like that but it ended up not mattering much.

This unedited image is close to what I was going for, kinda abstract-y with just the colors of the mountains. I did want to bring up the mountains a little bit but when I did it got pretty noisy.

Instead of merging the exposures, I just took this image and brought the mountains down and pushed the sky:

And came up with this:

Smokies at Dawn by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

I agree, I kind of like the lack of detail.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

emotive posted:

This low contrast/soft shadows effect is driving me nuts. I've been able to get it close using the curve sliders in Photoshop, but can't get anything to work consistently...

Honda Ruckus : Progress by Eric Dowd, on Flickr

Anyone have any good methods with similar results in either Lightroom or Photoshop? I'm guessing a lot of it is the exposure of the photo itself...

do you have an example of what you're going for? Sometimes if the original lighting is harsh it just wont work because the shadows are too deep/strong if you're trying to do what I think you are.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I really like the alien skin exposure PS plugins, I've been using them since cs2 or 3 and I feel like their presets are great starting off points to get great results, the have tons of options to alter each preset and the option to make and save your own.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Honestly I don't even mess with Lightroom. I already have the entire creative cloud as a designer so any photo work is done with Photoshop and everyone understands you can apply a camera raw adjustment layer to non raw images right? That essentially makes quick little adjustments super easy. Unfortunately it just takes a step or two in order to get there.

I learned to do all of my digital editing and retouching in Photoshop first so I know how to make it quick and it's way more powerful than most people need. Also if I need to do something major I don't like having to go to another program.

Verman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 27, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was going to say that looks like a split tone where the blues were pushed in the shadows and oranges in the highlights. In Photoshop just create a camera raw adjustment layer. In Camera raw, go to the split toning tab and adjust the opacity to 20-50% so that the image isn't only blue and orange.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've never had any issues with CC. Might be a hardware issue?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Are you making any money off your photography to justify the cost?

I haven't looked into it in a while but I thought I recall those two being packaged for 10$ a month which is absurdly cheap for an always updated industry standard software package.

I'm a graphic designer and shoot weddings on the side so the $600 per year I spend on the whole adobe cc software is paid for with a single project. If you're just doing this for fun, the photo package might be worth it for you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
If that image were a steak it would be ruined as it's very overdone. Here's a tip, make your edits, walk away from it for a few hours or even until the next day. Take a look at it again and see how you like it. Also compare it to the original occasionally.

I think when you stare at something long enough your eyes adjust and get used to the edits.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Alien Skin Exposure was always another option. I haven't used it a lot lately but It was always fine for what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I’ve got about 100 Gb of GoPro movies now that I want to make into a short 10 minute summary movie. What are the best programs for this? Can anyone link a good guide? I’ve never done any video editing before.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I couldn’t find a video thread anywhere.

Final Cut Pro and Premiere are the two big ones that most professionals use, imovie would likely be good enough for your needs and the simplicity might be nice if you're new to video editing. There are endless tutorials out there, lots of beginner friendly ones on youtube. I would recommend at least doing some sort of beginner tutorial for whatever software you decide to try.

The thought of paring down 100gb worth of video makes me cringe. I've actually gotten pretty lazy and don't do a lot of video anymore for that reason. I used to take videos of all my hiking/backpacking trips and then throw them together in a short 2-3 minute highlight video. It ended up becoming more of a burden than it was worth. The amount of time it takes per second of video can be frustrating especially if you're not familiar with video.

• Locked thread