Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I use the patch tool when retouching areas with very little to no texture.

I prefer to use the healing brush. Create a new layer and set the tool to sample all layers then paint away. When done covering all the retouching in a specific area I crank the opacity down until it looks natural. I almost never use the clone tool on skin.

I don't like the high gloss plastic look that is so popular, this method allows you to soften skin flaws but retain a natural look.

A really good (at east I think it is) book on basic retouching and color correcting people is Skin by Lee Varis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I hate getting prints at my local walmarts. I have had proofs done there when I need stuff quickly and cheaply but they always gently caress up black and white. There is always a pink or green cast to the image. What can you expect for three dollar 8X10s.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use alot of presets in lightroom. Usually as a starting point to what I'm looking to do. You have to be careful with a lot of the B&W ones that simulate color filters because you can cause some posterization at the edges of things that in not noticeable unless you zoom in to 100%.

That and a lot of the color ones crank up the luminance noise reduction too much to smooth things out. LR's noise reduction is better in 2.0 but still not as good as noise ninja.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evensevenone posted:

Don't use the individual R G and B curves, just use the combined curve. If you use the individual channel curves you need to make microscopic adjustments (and these probably aren't the best tools for color editing since its so hard to do anything useful).

The individual RGB curves and the info panel are the best way to color correct skin tones. I learned how from the Lee Varis book 'Skin' it is actually pretty easy with some practice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I always retouch skin manually on a separate blank layer. Then I adjust the opacity of the layer to let some detail back into the retouched areas. This avoids the plastic look that I hate.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm down.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

poopinmymouth posted:

I really want to submit some of my portrait shots, but despite owning copyright to the works, I kind of feel bad distributing these people's likenesses all over the web when they volunteered for free. I dunno. I wouldn't have a problem, but some of them might feel creeped out.

But I think there should be at least:
1) closeup of a face (skin retouching)
2) full body portrait (body altering)
3) the various non people photos, (landscapes, etc)

How about we all agree that portraits don't leave this thread. That way we can post photos of people without worrying where the final versions end up.

Oh and when are we doing this and did we decide how to get the raw files on here?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is there a way to collapse a mask into one step in an images history. I'm working with an image and the mask I'm making is chewing up all kinds of memory. I don't need to keep every single step of the mask!

Make a snapshot before the mask and after it is applied. Then you can purge the history if you want.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Except when new cameras come out with new RAW formats and you need to upgrade to CS12 for it to be able to read them.

Adobe puts out a free RAW to DNG converter so you can just convert it to a raw format that an older version can read. Not ideal by any means but better than nothing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

You can lease it monthly but it's kind of a sucker's deal as you'll end up paying more than you would outright but it's less of an initial lump sum?

Usually you would be right about leasing but subscribing to creative cloud costs me $22 a month and buying CS6 would run me $550-600 on Amazon. So I will actually pay less than retail over a two year period. That takes into account me not being eligible for student pricing and it taking two years for a new version to come out. The way I look at it I could shell out $600 every time there is a new version or just subscribe and always have the latest PS.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Molten Llama posted:

Why would you shell out $600 every time? Upgrades are $199 assuming you're completely uninvolved in the photo or graphic arts communities. (Every association has a discount code that brings them down to $169.)

Creative Cloud isn't a bad deal if you're starting from zero, but it only takes a couple years to come out ahead by buying. Theoretically, anyway; that's assuming Adobe doesn't go even farther down the "good stuff's only for subscribers" douchebag rabbit hole.

I actually forgot there was an upgrade price, but yeah I actually don't belong to any communities except this one. Still the price difference isn't extravagant so I don't mind making a monthly automatic payment of $22. I also kind of look at it as paying Adobe back for all the years I used a not so legal copy.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I haven't messed with LR in a while but couldn't you just put all those folders into one master folder and point LR at that, or does it not do subfolders that way?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
All autocorrect buttons on anything are someone else's idea of what your photo should look like, which is probably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

InternetJunky posted:

This feels like another question that has an obvious answer but I can't figure it out. I have a sequence of images and I want to ensure exact same crop size for all of them (ie. 500 x 500 pixels exactly). I tried the "size & resolution" option of the crop tool and specified 500x500, but all that does is resize the cropped area to 500x500 after cropping. What am I missing?

Sounds like you are putting your resolution into the size box. I remember PS having a resolution box or something like that but couldn't find it in the CS6 crop tool. The easiest way to do this would be crop square by setting your tool to 1x1 and then running an action on the folder that resizes everything to 500x500.

Fake edit: Unless you are using LR then do what that other guys said. (I totally forgot about LR)

• Locked thread