Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Theophany posted:

Capture One looks pretty good. They do perpetual licenses too.

Capture One is my preferred photo doohickey but they do make you buy it again every major release if you want to keep updating. About the only thing its missing for my workflow is a decent spotting tool and better masking for adjustment brushes. LR does a lot better there. Pretty sure its spotting tool is really just Photoshop's content aware fill which is voodoo magic.

Edit: If you own an Alpha series Sony camera you can get it for next to nothing.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Try using Luminosity Masks. You'll probably still end up getting some of the foreground as well but you'll have less to unselect.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

GrandpaPants posted:

This advice and video were awesome, thanks!

There's this whole sub-genre of landscape photography that uses luminosity masks combined with gradient masks to take things to far and make purposely fake looking shots; they call it Iterative Gradient Selective Masking, but their toolset is still pretty useful for difficult masking situations. Here's another example.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The v600 is a v550 with whatever ArcSoft PhotoStudio is included. I like my v550 for scanning medium format negatives. Does 35mm well enough for internet use but I wouldn't print anything from its scans.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I find it doesn't have the resolution to scan an image from 35mm film with enough information for the print size I usually prefer, 8" or more on the short side, prints tends to end up rather soft looking unless I use an excessive amount of sharpening. Perfectly fine for 4x6" though. I use a digital camera (Sony a6000) with a macro lens slug under a tripod over a good quality light table to scan 35mm though the v550 is just fine for quick proofs when scanning at a lower resolution for speed.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 31, 2017

• Locked thread