Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mannequin posted:

Dude, post your own work sometime. I'm curious as I'm sure others are as well since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

thats a nice way of saying man the gently caress up and let us rip you apart for once waffle, if you do in fact even take pictures. you remind me of a cranky old drawing professor from school that never had his work noticed so he took it out on the kids by critiquing the hell out of them.

Zoowick obviously has a very specific clientel and knows exactly what they want and how to do it. In the same way that Anthony Bourdaine enjoys street food for what it is while ripping apart chefs on iron chef, you have to look at the work in the context of it's use and intention, something you don't seem to be capable of. I think it was a good tutorial and the results are great for the audience, and I will be using similar methods for things like that in the future, not because it's high art, but because it brings home the bacon.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

I can't use the cloning tool in lightroom, it just doesn't act the same way as the one in photoshop.

oh god how true that is. even the red eye tool is next to unusable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Two really good video tutorials on masking and adjustment layers. The examples are with digital paintings, but you can apply it to your photos just the same. Really cool and should give you new tricks to try (especially the adjustment layers).

Masking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw30GfWeR1E

Adjustment Layers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDF22yfVCQ

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I tried to do my first composite tonight, not happy with the results. This is a lot harder than I imagined, though I assume shooting the images with the purpose of compositing them would make it much easier. Any tips (in general or for this image).

http://flickr.com/photos/davidchilders/3240880890/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FunkyJunk posted:

By the way, I think I read that Lightroom has an update out now to stop memory leaks, among other things.

oh sweet Mrs. Buttersworth

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The key to the Dave Hill style is 360 wrap around lighting. Then he simply tone maps/dodges & burns/jacks up shadow detail and brings down the highlights. The 360 degree lighting is key to not creating haloing when you're bringing that level of detail out in an image.

Actually, Scott Kelby had a nice little write up on the style recently;

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/2946

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I don't think this thread is for point and shoot camera users. :smug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

reposting this from the wedding thread to hopefully get a suggestion tonight:

Question; I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow thats outside on a mountain hillside and the guests will be facing straight at the sun at 5:00 when the ceremony starts. I was there today for the rehearsal and the lighting was a pain in the rear end. The backlighting was so strong I either had completely over exposed sky or completely underexposed subjects. Is my only solution to use flash during the ceremony? Can I edit this to be nice and soft somehow? What should I be metering in a scene this dynamic? Here's the setup:

(straight from camera, and I have no idea how to make it look decent)

In short, how do I deal with intense backlit sun here?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mannequin posted:

I would consider taking a few underexposed shots of the sky, and a few really good ceremony shots, and bring the underexposed sky into the final image in post. I wouldn't normally recommend doing this, I have gone off the idea of compositing things into the frame later (even though I've done it myself), but:

A) it's not too hard in this scenario
B) heavy flash might be obnoxious during the reception
C) a good picture will make the wedding couple happy, they won't care how you executed it

Hmm, I'll give that a try with some of the shots from today and see how it goes. That might be the easiest/best way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

notlodar posted:

now that the deed is done, clever use of curves will do you wonders.

actually, that's my answer for everything: curves. point curves.

I really have no idea how to properly use curves, any pointers? Particularly with that image/backlit scenes.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 25, 2009

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Question, do you guys think I should clean up some of the distracting elements in this photo, or even crop at the ceiling? I love the image but the more I look at it the more little things bug me (the warning labels, for instance).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 24, 2010

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What do you guys think of this processing? I'm having a hard time working in a second light other than backlighting but I like the effect here. The color treatment is the main thing I did in post, using adjustment layer curves.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Adjusting black levels can usually help with haze, but I don't know how the rest of the photo will fare.

pwn posted:

I have nothing to add except it appears there's a man with two heads in the middle. Did you shoot these people all separately and comp them together?

Yeah, it was a composite. The jacket/shirts stand out pretty well from one another on my monitor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CS5 is just going to be wacky :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HPL posted:

Oh man, I'd buy CS5 if it could do that with microphone stands.

no kidding! In the desert example I kept saying "theres no way that's going to come out that great" then I was all "...goddamn." I would love to see it pushed and see how it works with things blocking a persons face for example.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm really starting to think that video about content aware fill is an elaborate troll. It's gone way too viral, earlier tonight "Content Aware Fill" was even a trending topic on twitter for the US. Also, someone pointed out on the last example with the panorama, theres a bird in the newly created area, where the hell did it come from?

It's also possible the internet has just made me way too skeptical :raise:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 25, 2010

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Obscurum posted:

So I have a quick question about light room for you guys that use it. Does it have anything that would let me say select the background of my photos and blur it out more or is that something that I'm going to have to use like photo shop for?

Sorry again for the stupid question, I only just started using it and I was not seeing anything like that but I thought I would ask.

actually you could make a custom adjustment brush with -100% clarity and sharpness and apply it a few times, but yeah, it would be way better and easier in photoshop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Recovery also really fucks with colors. I don't push it past 25%.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lightroom is amazing and indispensable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just a heads up guys, onOne software Standard Edition Phototools 2.5 is free right now if you are an Mpix member.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pt25sefree/?partner=mpix&utm_campaign=PT25SEFree_prtnr&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=mpix

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have to ask, as I'm installing the LR 4 beta right now, did they finally revert adjustment brushes to saving the settings between adjustment types? In LR 1 and 2, you could select exposure and set it to say +1, then go select clarity and put it at -50, and when you went back to exposure it would go back to it's previous setting of +1. In LR 3 you have to set the amount every time you switch between adjustments, and it's annoying as hell. Anyone know of a work around to that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My pics look exactly the same on both desktops in LR 2, 3, and beta 4. I'm lucky I guess?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean I never had that issue in any of the 3 versions with any pics. I generally don't move catalogs from version to version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hahaha, loving bravo. I hate doing anything like that, but I let out a loud chuckle watching it look so easy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Curves, but there may be some layer trickery to get a similar look.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here is a quick (very) crude example of how to use curves to get that look. The most important part for the washed out look is to bring in your max shadows and highlights values, which I circled in red. You can do this in lightroom or photoshop. The coloring is done with split tone/saturation adjustments, but that doesn't create the haziness. You can use the RBG channels in curves to do the split toning as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't updated to 4 yet ... figure I should finish going through my Martin Evening book with 3 hah.

This may be of interest though:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/what-happened-to-fill-light-and-recovery.html

The new controls really are miles better. Having adjustment brushes for everything is just icing on the cake.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It performs slower on everything from my experiences. It takes a second or more to show even slight changes, like increasing exposure by 1/3rd. It's pretty annoying, but images look so good in it I suffer through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Falco posted:

How is LR4 working out for everyone? It seemed when it was first released people were having a few issues with it. I'm thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see if I should wait for the first update before switching from LR3.

Everything is better but performance (even slight changes like 1/3rd exposure can take a second to process). Much better controls (color temp adjustment brushes thank lord Adobe) and engine, just sluggish.

• Locked thread