Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm kinda eyeing the VSCO film emulation preset packs, but they're pretty pricey. The film look is relatively subtle, as I understand it, compared to stuff like Instagram filters. Does anybody here use VSCO and can throw up a few quick before/after shots? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before dropping $200+ on the packs (don't think I'd be needing the third pack since it basically sounds like it's the kind of stuff that Instagram has overdone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thanks for all the info about VSCO. I'm trying to resist the urge to go overboard with old-timey/analog film effects, so I don't know to what extent I'll be applying it to my pictures, but if they are mostly just LR presets, then if nothing else I can crack those open in Notepad and take a look at exactly what they're doing to achieve the filmic look, how each "film" compares to each other.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

VSCO trip report: really enjoying just clicking through the presets and seeing how they change the tone of a picture. I'm probably overdoing it on a lot of my pictures right now, but I hope to turn it down a bit once I'm more familiar with the differences between the films and the exact effects that each one applies.

I didn't realize how much I'd like the fact that it exists as just a combination of presets and camera profiles. I own the Nik bundle and have used it in the past, but it can be a hassle to use:
  • Export an image
  • Wait for the software to load
  • Make some tweaks and export the picture back (assuming I got satisfactory results at all and didn't just cancel out)
  • End up with a TIF copy of my picture that I then have to sort/stack in Lightroom
  • Edited copy has no non-destructive history, so I can't remember what I did to the picture if I come back to it later
  • Repeat for every single picture that I want to run through Color Efex, Silver Efex, or HDR Efex
versus just click-click-click-done with VSCO--and again, I'm working on being a little more discerning with its application and adjustments.

Pretty happy with it overall. The price tag seems a bit steep for what it is, but it's super fast and easy to use.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Double posting to let people know that VSCO just released their fourth pack, based on slide/reversal films: http://vsco.co/film

No Kodachrome, which they explain in this overview video: http://vsco.co/blog/vsco-film-04-walkthrough-video

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

alkanphel posted:

I did just that, to satisfy my curiosity.

Provia 100F vs RX1 with VSCO filter for Provia 100F.

Test Test by alkanphel, on Flickr

drat, what's with that weird outline on the chairs and the bike frame? Was it like that before applying VSCO? Also, are you using the Sony-specific set of filters?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Does anybody here strive for a consistent "look" across all their pictures? Right now I just kinda dick around in Lightroom until I get something that looks cool, but it can vary a fair bit from one picture to another. Is it sort of a conscious decision, or does it just happen as you work on more and more pictures? Or is it something that I shouldn't even waste time thinking about if I only ever plan to shoot for fun?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haven't used Lynda.com, but videos I think would be the way to go. All the different panels on the left, right, and bottom of the screen can be kinda overwhelming at first, and contextual changes certainly don't help with the acclimation. Plus, with video, you can watch as the teacher applies an effect and see how it changes the picture in real time. If you're new to photography in general, learning what the different effects are (dodging and burning, clarity, hue/luminance/saturation, etc.) is just as important as learning how to achieve or manipulate those effects in Lightroom.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of VSCO, VSCO Cam for Android is out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yeah, I never use my phone camera except to take quick snapshots to share on Facebook or something. And when I go out with the intent of photographing stuff, I'm going to bring a "real" camera. But my company holiday party is tomorrow, so I might try to take a few pictures with my phone there, the venue's lighting permitting. So far I've mostly just taken a few pictures of little things on or around my desk at work: http://404notfound.vsco.co/

I went ahead and bought the bundle of filters, and yeah, the ten that the app comes with are pulled from each buyable set of three. I don't remember which ones it comes with now, but my complete set contains B1-B6, C1-C3, F1-F3, G1-G3, K1-K3, LV1 and LV2 (free), M1-M6, P1-P9, S1-S6, SE1-SE3 (free), T1-T3, and X1-X6.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh man you can take your mutt to the office? So jelly.

He's not mine, but I sit next to him and he's one of four in the office. Silicon Valley's startup culture has its perks!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yeah, you can blend exposures to get (surprise) a high dynamic range, but more often than not, what people put out with HDR programs is a neon shotgun blast of saturated color to the face. It doesn't help that Trey Ratcliff pioneered the HDR movement--his work is basically what everybody aspires to, albeit more competently executed than most.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

VSCO has released VSCO Film 05, titled "Archetype." It's meant to be a collection of consumer-grade films--I guess a sort of expansion of 02, which already had stuff like Superia.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly are these VSCO LR presets? Am I just buying LR/ACR slider values? Or are they more than that? I see they have camera profiles but I'm not sure how these are made and how accurate that method might be.

Are these guys actually shooting(and properly scanning) charts with real filmstock and creating profiles/lookup tables? And then applying that data to calibration data for all these different digital cameras?

It adjusts HSL for the colors, changes the tone curves, has film grain (obviously), adds split toning where appropriate, etc. Changes a whole lot of stuff, but yeah, you could probably do most of it yourself if you were so inclined and knew your way around Lightroom's tools. That's the nice thing about presets, though--because it's all done within Lightroom, you don't need to generate another file to export to an external program and back. It's mostly a matter of convenience, I guess. There are also camera profiles tailored to every camera and preset combination, but I don't know what goes into those.

I don't know what their process is, but they are in fact basing all their presets on the actual film stocks. That's one of the reasons why Kodachrome isn't included in the slide film pack--because there's nobody around to develop Kodachrome anymore, there's no way for them to develop it and create a preset from it.

Also, some before/after comparison pics of the new pack here: http://www.dylandsara.com/vsco-film-05-archetype-review-before-after-photos/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Are there any good guides to effective use of the dodge and burn tools to strengthen an image? Preferably something that could apply to Lightroom (e.g., no reliance on layers).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mathturbator posted:

Phlearn has some, I think. Dodge and burn is a really versatile tool, in that it is deceptively simple to use but can have a huge impact depending on what you want to achieve.
So if I may suggest, you are not looking for a guide, but inspiration for when and how to use it. I think a key learning point is that using D&B very selectively to brighten or darken small areas can have a huge impact on how sharp your pictures look.

Take a look at this: http://fstoppers.com/the-secret-to-crafting-stunningly-sharp-images-and-preserving-it-across-medias

Yeah, that's exactly the look I'm talking about, though that page doesn't say anything about how to apply dodge and burn to achieve it. Thanks, and I'll see if Phlearn has any instructions on how to do it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Homemade solutions also probably aren't offsite. If you get robbed or your house burns down, you'll still lose your backup. You could rent a server or something, but at that point you might as well use a cold storage solution like Amazon Glacier.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So Mad Men has a really cool "For Your Consideration" campaign for the Emmys, where they feature the actors in faux-60s/70s magazine ads: http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/mad-men-stars-pose-vintage-style-product-ads-your-consideration-campaign-157829

They're all around really well done (the copy sounds sufficiently cheesy), although most of the photos still look a little too "modern" to my still relatively untrained eye. The Roger Sterling one, though, is loving perfect:

Anybody able to give a high-level breakdown of what they did to that picture to make it look genuine?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Try clicking the little circle widget on the luminance panel, then clicking and dragging upward on a part of the ant. What that tool does is only adjust the luminance of the color(s) that the cursor is on. It might work since the ant does appear to have some color in it that the wood doesn't, so the luminance adjustment would hopefully affect only the ant. Combine that with dropping the highlights to darken the top half of the wood, and that should make the ant stand out more. If that doesn't work, you'd probably have to fall back on using the adjustment brush to selectively dodge and burn.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

VSCO just released Film 06, a push/pull and cross-process pack: http://grid.vsco.co/journal/introducing-vsco-film-06

404notfound fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 30, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hold your flash off-camera and bounce it off of a wall to get nice, diffuse lighting. I took this picture on my kitchen counter with almost no other lighting. I actually turned off the fluorescent light overhead because I couldn't match the flash's temperature with it.

DSC_7621 by khyrre, on Flickr

I mean, assuming you're not taking a picture of nachos in a toilet or something

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You can "export as catalog" from the laptop and then "import from another catalog" on the desktop. Not sure if there's a more efficient workflow, but that's what I do.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anyone know if there's a way to get the new Surface Pen (the one that ships with the Surface Pro 4/Surface Book) to have proper support in Lightroom? Notably, there doesn't seem to be pressure sensitivity or eraser support.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Helen Highwater posted:

Dehazing tool is pretty neat and that's only available in the subscription version. It even checks on launch - if you launch from the Lr shortcut, the dehaze tool is missing from the Develop tab but if you launch it from CC, then the tool is there.

Not surprisingly, since it's built into the program and artificially restricted, somebody whipped up some free presets that allow you to use dehaze even from the standalone version: http://www.proloststore.com/products/dehaze

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody use Photo Mechanic to do their culling/editing before getting into the actual processing? Starting to get a little fed up with Lightroom's speed when it comes to going through hundreds of burst-fired sets of pictures.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, I updated to Lightroom Classic and it doesn't recognize my Lightroom 6 license anymore. I was under the impression that I could continue to use my existing license. Please don't tell me I have to buy Lightroom again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

xzzy posted:

Saw this on reddit, comments have a workaround for getting a fresh LR6 install if you don't have a CD for it on hand:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/77d3c0/do_not_upgrade_lightroom_6/

It's basically a wipe and reinstall, but they have a link to download the installer.

Yeah, I figured out what was going on myself last night. I couldn't get an installer for 6.12, though my Adobe order history for LR6 fortunately had a link for a 6.11 installer. Once I uninstalled the Creative Cloud app, Lightroom's update check defaulted to using the older Application Manager and was able to give me the 6.12 update without pulling the rug out from under me.

• Locked thread