Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cythrelo posted:

Is there some kind of list of Ken Rockwell's BS? I've found him to be a decent reference for SOME things, as long as you understand that he's got his head stuck really far up his rear end and take most of what he says with a grain of salt. But I'd like to get a better sense of just how much of it is a load of crap, and how much of it is actually useful.

Any lens he says is 'a miracle': bullshit.
Anything he says is 'obsolete': bullshit.
Anything he says 'doesn't matter': bullshit.
Any defect he says is 'easily correctable in Photoshop': bullshit.
Any settings he recommends for any camera: bullshit.

Wait I think that's like 95% of what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

torgeaux posted:

So, Ken Rockwell made your prints?

If I saw him working as a button-pusher in a print shop it would in no way surprise me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

In the spirit of animated gifs...

I tend not to do too much retouching of blemishes - ideally I try to only fix problems I caused (like the weird shadow pattern on her chin and her eyes being too dark). She also, for some reason, decided she didn't like those earrings very much, and decided this as we were reviewing the images and I was about to burn the CD (hence the horrible 5-minute clone job).

This was a shoot where the MUA did most of the heavy lifting though, this girl really doesn't have very good skin.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Kazy posted:

One thing that bothers me about this is that you left the shadow of the earrings in so it looks like she has some weird mark on her neck. Otherwise good job.

God drat, you're right. Well this was from a few months ago, so I guess nobody else noticed :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cross_ posted:

So much good advice in here; I hope you can help a newbie with a simple project: I am working on a DVD cover but somehow can't quite get the picture to work. Here's the current look of things:

Click here for the full 800x993 image.

My main gripe is that the model and the graffiti background blend too much into each other, especially when zooming out of the image. I have drastically reduced lightness and saturation of the background and added some slight glow and shadow outlines around the body. Still I feel that this doesn't cut it. Adding even more of a glow makes the dancer look like she's floating over the background which is not quite what I am looking for either. Suggestions ?

As much as I hate to say "recompose and reshoot", would it be super hard to actually get the model in front of the graffiti? It looks really, really unnatural as it is right now, and I'm not sure there's that much you can do to fix it in post (apart from the halo around the fire hydrant).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nonanone posted:

Edit: here's what I do:
-If the skin is really bad I may take hours to fix/replace/reconstruct to get good skin (#1 way of fixing terrible skin is to use somebody with good skin)
-do little stuff like brighten the eyes, fix stray hairs, adjust little details

Of course, every photo is different and can take much less or much more work.

I gotta say I love the reactions I get to that. "Oh, my eyes look really nice!" "They ain't yours."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

squidflakes posted:

I tried something similar, but don't remember where I had the hardness. What usually happens when I try to clone that stuff out it ends up making the area a weird fuzzy gray or leaving boarders of the same fuzzy gray. Is there any way to control that, or is it just an artifact from photoshop trying to blend the really dark and really light in to a neutral middle color?

Were you using clone or healing brush? Healing brush is pretty terrible when there's a different color close to the edge of the brush (although you can of course fix this by changing the mode). Again, what brad said, clone stamp to rough it in, then healing brush and dodge/burn to make it not look like rear end.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 10, 2010

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Are people here actually including the cost of their monitor when discussing viewing images?

That's pretty shameful.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I do all my post on a last-gen Macbook Pro screen. I calibrated it six months ago I think. And, oddly enough, it's just never been an issue.

This is a pretty huge case of "you only see a problem because you're looking for that exact problem."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I do all my calibration by taking a picture of the screen with my Pentax ME Super. Works great as long as you keep the film type consistant.

e. Pic of my setup.

This is incredible.

• Locked thread