Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Here we go again (on our own), it's a new recommendation megathread. Need a recommendation? Post here before creating a new thread! However, a few suggestions before you post:

• If you're looking for something similar to a specific band, check similar artists on last.fm, AllMusic, Pandora (US-only, I believe), and the like. On last.fm in particular you should also check artists with similar tags, as that can often be handy and will often have streaming sample tracks.
  • If you're looking for more music similar to a few specific artists, try other artists on the same labels. If you don't know what label the artist you like is on, look it up before posting.
  • If you're just looking for something similar to bands that might be described as indie rock/pop, and you haven't looked at Pitchfork Media, you should do that before posting. A great deal of posts in previous threads have best been answered with just that URL.
  • If you're looking for metal, you'll probably get better responses in the metal megathread. I won't link it here since it's refreshed fairly often, but it should be on the first couple pages of NMD.
  • Try to be specific if you can. If you're looking for something you have a hard time describing because you're not familiar with the genre, that's okay, but still make an effort, as it will still be helpful to those making recommendations.

I may add specific responses to common recommendations to this OP, feel free to PM me with stuff in that vein that you think should be added.

One other thing I should mention: this thread is for people seeking music to post and for others to reply to those specific requests. Please don't make posts like "Everyone should really listen to this band!!!". If you're recommending something, it should be in reply to something else. That also means that lovely off-the-wall recommendations like "Oh, you like power metal? Well some other music that is powerful is Animal Collective" will be punished.

Be aware that if you don't follow the guidelines above, you may be made fun of or even probated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
By the way, of course feel free to repost any requests that got lost between closing the old thread and opening this one.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
"I like bands such as The White Stripes, Eagles of Death Metal, The Raconteurs..."

These bands, and others like them, are the most popular ones in the recent garage rock revival. This is part of an ongoing rediscovery of sixties bands such as The Sonics that played aggressive, stripped-down versions of what they were hearing from British Invasion music (but a hell of a lot better). The Gun Club, especially their album Fire of Love, was an early 80s band that combined garage rock, punk, blues, and country to make a unique, fantastic sound that has been cited as hugely influential by people such as Jack White.

There's probably hundreds if not thousands of fantastic modern garage rock bands, but here's a few: The Mummies, Thee Headcoats, Thee Oh Sees, Cheap Time (and anything released by In the Red Records), Carbonas (and almost anything released by Douchemaster Records).

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 16, 2009

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

A lot of people ask for Black Keys recommendations. Kingcobweb's recs above still apply, but specifically I'd check out artists on labels like Alive! Naturalsound (Soledad Brothers for instance), Fat Possum Records (bluesier, but usually with a little Rock & Roll crunch), and as far as individual bands go, The Greenhornes, Mr. Airplane Man, Pearlene, 20 Miles, The Go, The Deadly Snakes, not to mention older bands like The Allman Brothers and Cream.

The Oblivians could fit in both this post and the one above it (as could a lot of these bands I guess) but The Compulsive Gamblers feature some of the same members and are more Black Keysian

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey guys I said PM me with stuff, don't post arbitrary recommendations here :P

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got some great recommendations last time I asked (Bonobo and Lemonjelly), but I'm still looking for some more good instrumental, study-compatible music.

Things I listen to now: classical (usually more things like solo piano, cello, violin & cello, clarinet, rather than full orchestras), jazz (not terribly well-versed in it, some of it can be too distracting), and electronica (same situation as jazz).

Things I listen to already:
Yann Tiersen (did the soundtracks for Goodbye Lenin and Amelie, probably my favorite artist overall), Hiromi Uehara (jazz piano, has some synth tracks that I really dislike), Bonobo and Lemonjelly (Electronica? The latter has some annoying vocal samples though), Erik Satie (classical, fairly minimalist), Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (minimalist piano with some electronic noise, Sakamoto's solo stuff is hit or miss), Loop Guru (Eastern-influenced electronica), and Metamorphosis by Philip Glass (solo piano, although it can be a little repetitive).

Most minimalist stuff (Philip Glass, Brian Eno, etc) is really hit or miss with me, Sigur Ros is kind of so-so. For whatever reason, I can't stand Portishead, although sometimes Massive Attack or DJ Shadow tickles my fancy. Explosions in the Sky is too percussion-y. Vocals are a deal-breaker in pretty much every case.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
I'm just getting into Sludge Metal and Doom, Stoner, etc. Really into heavy, slow, blues-based riffs over hard backbeats. Stuff I'm currently playing a lot:

Sleep - Dopesmoker
Eyehategod
Electric Wizard
Earth
Asunder
High on Fire

I've heard good things about Bongzilla, and I heard the first Down record, loved em both. Please give me some more metal in this vein! I also love classic poo poo like Sabbath and Zeppelin, which is why I think I like the blues based riffs so much. Hook me up

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 16, 2009

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden

Skilleddk posted:

I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

Not exactly analogous but Goldfrapp has some similarities.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Skilleddk posted:

I find Bat For Lashes to be fairly similar to Bjork. Check out her debut album.

Van or Astrovan
Oct 6, 2008

by Peatpot
I'm looking for loud, noisy psych-rock that isn't too noodle-y or prog-y. Two examples that I really like are Comets on Fire and the Crystal Antlers EP.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Van or Astrovan posted:

I'm looking for loud, noisy psych-rock that isn't too noodle-y or prog-y. Two examples that I really like are Comets on Fire and the Crystal Antlers EP.

How about The Black Angels? They're a bit slower than Crystal Antlers but are in a similar vein.

Edit: okay I'm giving Comets On Fire a listen and I think The Black Angels are way more mellow than what you're looking for, so nevermind, sorry!

Edit edit: how about A Place to Bury Strangers?

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 17, 2009

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I'm looking for alt-country. I'm currently in love with Blitzen Trapper–I started loving them because they sounded like Pavement on Wild Mountain Nation, but I'll be damned if they didn't win me over with some of their more country-ish songs.

Examples:
Wild Mountain Nation on You Tube.
Their first Daytrotter Session. I particularly like Jericho.
Another Daytrotter session. I'm looking for stuff no more twangy than Stolen Shoes.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. And if anyone likes Fleet Foxes and hasn't checked out Blitzen Trapper yet, get off your rear end and listen to the Daytrotter stuff.

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 18, 2009

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Looking for some technical instrumental bands like Liquid Tension Experiment and some tech death in the same vain as Psycroptic, Beneath The Massacre etc.

Any recommendations are welcome,

Cheers.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

There's probably hundreds if not thousands of fantastic modern garage rock bands, but here's a few: The Mummies, Thee Headcoats, Thee Oh Sees, Cheap Time (and anything released by In the Red Records), Carbonas (and almost anything released by Douchemaster Records).

Thanks for this. I didn't realize that I was already listening to a bunch of bands already on In The Red (King Khan, Dirtbombs, Reigning Sound) and this pointed me in the right direction to more awesome garage.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

JohnnyRed posted:

I'm just getting into Sludge Metal and Doom, Stoner, etc. Really into heavy, slow, blues-based riffs over hard backbeats. Stuff I'm currently playing a lot:

Sleep - Dopesmoker
Eyehategod
Electric Wizard
Earth
Asunder
High on Fire

I've heard good things about Bongzilla, and I heard the first Down record, loved em both. Please give me some more metal in this vein! I also love classic poo poo like Sabbath and Zeppelin, which is why I think I like the blues based riffs so much. Hook me up

Well first I'd recommend checking out the stoner/sludge/doom thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2512135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If you like stuff with some blues in it, maybe check out Deliverance by Corrosion of Conformity. If you're looking for sabbathy type stuff, get Heavy Rocks by Boris. OM is the band that Al Cisneros(Sleep) currently fronts and plays bass for, and it's got a similar sound to Sleep. I saw Saviours open for High on Fire and they're both pretty similar.

Really just check out that thread or ask them if you haven't already.

bumpizza
Feb 11, 2006
If anyone has heard DJ Spooky's Songs of a Dead Dreamer, I'd like another ambient album that I can just trip out to that encompasses a lot of emotions. I've already heard Selected Ambient Works before, but I think that Songs of a Dead Dreamer is less minimalistic and repetitive and I like that.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking for down tempo jazz like this song: http://www.last.fm/music/MEZ/_/gently caress%27n+Jazz?autostart

It can have lyrics or not, it doesn't matter to me. I'm starting fresh here so I don't know what I'm looking for here.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

charismaslover posted:

Looking for some technical instrumental bands like Liquid Tension Experiment and some tech death in the same vain as Psycroptic, Beneath The Massacre etc.

Cheers.
As mentioned in the OP, you should try the metal megathread.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'm looking for more stuff such as Something Corporate/Jack's Mannequin/The Rocket Summer -- for the most part pop-piano/rock (not really into Ben Folds/The Fray though)

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

Nos sale a saludar la gente linda..

Skilleddk posted:

You should try Mammut. It is a fellow Icelandic band with a female lead singer who is pretty spot-on for a Bjork sound. The music is definitely more straight forward rock, but it just might hit the spot for you.
http://www.myspace.com/mammut
Also you can get their stuff on itunes!

There is a large variety of Icelandic music that has the same weird, experimental sounds of Bjork, most of which you can find on the top friend's list from this record label:
http://www.myspace.com/12tonar

I highly recommend spending some time going through those bands to all Bjork fans. I'm the biggest Icelandic music freak (beyond just Bjork and Sigur Ros) so if you like any of the music from those sites and want any "deeper cut" recommendations on the scene I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

U.S. MAPLESTORY
Sep 29, 2006

now run and tell your mama bout that

Van or Astrovan posted:

Endless Boogie and Earthless!!!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got some great recommendations last time I asked (Bonobo and Lemonjelly), but I'm still looking for some more good instrumental, study-compatible music.

Most minimalist stuff (Philip Glass, Brian Eno, etc) is really hit or miss with me, Sigur Ros is kind of so-so. For whatever reason, I can't stand Portishead, although sometimes Massive Attack or DJ Shadow tickles my fancy. Explosions in the Sky is too percussion-y. Vocals are a deal-breaker in pretty much every case.

Some of it might be a little on the busy side for study music, but you might enjoy Hauschka (stream @ last.fm). He is a German gentleman who plays prepared piano and on this album he has included strings, along with little dabs of electronics, brass, etc. Electronic music and minimalism are certain influences.

That might be making it sound like some kind of avant-garde nightmare but it's also quite accessible, even catchy, and definitely avoids falling into the bottomless pit of purely academic exercises. One of my favorite albums from 2008 actually.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for some recommendations when it comes to modern (or classic) Jazz. I'm a complete Jazz virgin, I have no clue about anything past a vague assumption of what it should sound like. I'm more interested in a more mellow, laid-back kind of sound.

I realize I've been very vague, but considering the fact that I know drat-near-nothing about Jazz, setting me up with any artists I've never heard of shouldn't be difficult.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
I'm looking for some music that has guitar solos similar to the beginning of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive. Not that I don't like the whole song, but up until around 1:15 is what I'm looking for.

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

charismaslover posted:

Cheers.

Nevermind. Just saw the title of the metal thread, nothing to see here.

bonnemenagere fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 21, 2009

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Private Snowball posted:

I'm looking for some music that has guitar solos similar to the beginning of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive. Not that I don't like the whole song, but up until around 1:15 is what I'm looking for.

That solo is fairly riff-heavy and it seems a lot like the typical guitar sound in garage rock and early punk. That being the case, these bands wont be similar to Pink Floyd per se, but they should hopefully seem similar to that beginning part of the song you mentioned.

The Kinks:
You Really Got Me
All Day and All of the Night

The Sonics:
Strychnine
Maintaining My Cool

The Yardbirds:
Stroll On
For Your Love

The Stooges:
Down On the Street

T-Rex:
20th Century Boy

Modern Lovers:
Roadrunner

Television:
Marquee Moon

The Clash:
Cheat
Clampdown

The timbre of the guitar in these songs will be generally similar to what you're looking for, and while the tempos may be a bit faster, the melody in the riffs and solos should be similar as well. Most of these should work-out since early Floyd was arguably somewhat of a garage-rock band themselves.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
The Yardbirds songs and The Stooges song was pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I don't know much about electronic music, but I'm looking for stuff that sounds like Crystal Castles

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
I've recently discovered The Durutti Column, and I've really wanted to check out more of their/his stuff. I found out about them while I was listening to the Factory box set, and it included one of their songs, "Sketch for Summer". That song remains my favorite of what little I've heard from them. I've so far only listened to "The Return of the Durutti Column", and I'm looking for a few good albums/songs to explore in their vast catalog.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for more electro songs that sound "violent" or "badass". Pretty much like these Justice songs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lodWFJJIOkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmzNB_eXek

Need more songs to make myself feel like a badass when I'm biking/walking places. :c00l:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

aliencowboy posted:

I don't know much about electronic music, but I'm looking for stuff that sounds like Crystal Castles

maybe Tree Wave?

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm looking for more electro songs that sound "violent" or "badass". Pretty much like these Justice songs :c00l:

check the Danger thread, yo

you might like Sebastian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khsUEmcNNvw

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I posted this in the last thread, and got nothing:

quote:

I have a request - does anyone know of anything that sounds like Gold Chains' early work? I was listening to Rock The Parti the other day, and when playing his last album right after hearing that track, it just doesn't compare. The sound of the first EP, some of the second EP, and tracks like Nada, What Are We Looking For and Code Red from 'Young Miss America' are what I'm after.

'When The World Was Our Friend' just doesn't have the right attitude. And he's not done anything other than a few remixes in years

Anybody?

sludgepuddleofdoom
Jul 7, 2008
I liked Method Man's Tical. I liked all of the tracks but my favorite are easily Tical, Bring the Pain, and PLO Style Any recommendations? Does not have to be Wu-Tang.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I've always been a huge fan of 'slowcore' bands like Low and Codeine. I've been pointed towards Red House Painters, Bedhead and Idaho. Does anyone have any other good bands that I should look up. More specifically, I'd like to find something along the lines of Low's records Trust (with the almost Late-Earth like guitars) and/or Secret Name.

And on another note, I've had a particularly hard time finding anything truly similar to Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra.
Something more in the vein of their Americana Pieces, Like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2O1kVeFH4&feature=related

Thanks a lot.

Mr Smith Grind
Apr 22, 2008
I've been listening to From Autumn to Ashes for a while, and have been thoroughly enjoying Fiction We Live, Holding a Wolf by the Ears, and Abandon Your Friends (the first two more than the last). A friend also turned me on to Alexisonfire's Crisis, which I also enjoy, though not as much. I'm wondering about bands with a similar scream/sing dynamic, but with a not so overly emo sing style like Thursday and the used seem to have. Also any recommendations on other good Alexisonfire albums would be appreciated.

On a different note, I love The Mall's Emergency at the Everday cd, and I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is similar. Sorry I cant be more specific, just listen to the songs on their myspace. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=3300580

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

I've always been a huge fan of 'slowcore' bands like Low and Codeine. I've been pointed towards Red House Painters, Bedhead and Idaho. Does anyone have any other good bands that I should look up. More specifically, I'd like to find something along the lines of Low's records Trust (with the almost Late-Earth like guitars) and/or Secret Name.

Wow, another Low and Codeine fan! Man, those are two of my favorite bands, but honestly I have never found anything that holds a loving candle to Frigid Stars but I've found a few that come close.

Xiu Xiu's Fag Patrol album is amazing and about as slowcore as it gets. Their other stuff is way more confrontational, but this album is absolutely haunting. Jamie Stewart, the lead singer, had just gone through his father's suicide and was apparently drinking so much to the point he barely remembers recording the album. Heavy stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKkpL1VaFU

Grouper Dragging a Dead Deer up a Hill: This is extremely reverbed out, slow and thick. You can't hear anything she says but the density of it is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkANP6xnVgs

Smog: You've probably heard of this dude, but he is basically known for carrying the lone torch of slowcore onwards and upwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_I_yf2mS0

Rachel's: Systems/Layers: Absolutely amazing. Its mostly just orchestral stuff, but there's this one song on that album called "Last Things Last," which to me is an ultimate fence post in the slowcore genre. I would post the song here but since its not on youtube I think it may violate the rules of the forum. If you google it though, there are plenty of blogs that link you right to the song.

Hope that helped a bit. Red House Painters is an absolute must, by the way. Down Colorful Hill is a classic.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden

Save Russian Jews posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations when it comes to modern (or classic) Jazz. I'm a complete Jazz virgin, I have no clue about anything past a vague assumption of what it should sound like. I'm more interested in a more mellow, laid-back kind of sound.

I realize I've been very vague, but considering the fact that I know drat-near-nothing about Jazz, setting me up with any artists I've never heard of shouldn't be difficult.

Start with Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, then just check out more stuff by him and the rest of the band mates (John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, etc)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

PUSSY BARON posted:

Start with Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, then just check out more stuff by him and the rest of the band mates (John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, etc)

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

ArgaWarga posted:

I'm looking for alt-country. I'm currently in love with Blitzen Trapper–I started loving them because they sounded like Pavement on Wild Mountain Nation, but I'll be damned if they didn't win me over with some of their more country-ish songs.

Examples:
Wild Mountain Nation on You Tube.
Their first Daytrotter Session. I particularly like Jericho.
Another Daytrotter session. I'm looking for stuff no more twangy than Stolen Shoes.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. And if anyone likes Fleet Foxes and hasn't checked out Blitzen Trapper yet, get off your rear end and listen to the Daytrotter stuff.

Blitzen Trapper is a lot closer to alt-folk than alt-country, but check out War Elephant by Deer Tick, Shallow Graves by Tallest Man on Earth, Love is Overtaking Me by Arthur Russell, and All Hour Cymbals by Yeasayer.

I assume you're familiar with Harvest by Neil Young and Astral Weeks by Van Morrison, but if you somehow haven't listened to them yet, they're still the standard by which all other alt-folk albums are measured.