Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

dgt posted:

quality postpunk (I like Joy Division, Killing Joke, Magazine, PiL, Birthday Party, TG, etc etc)
Gang of Four and A Certain Ratio are good dance-focused post-punk; kind of like Public Image or Killing Joke, but more funky. Entertainment! is usually considered as central to post-punk as any of Joy Division's albums.

Echo & the Bunnymen are fantastic, though they're a touch lighter than the bands you named. For some reason it seems like they're mostly ignored by after-the-fact post-punk fans (e.g. hipster teenagers like myself), even though they're one of the more successful post-punk outfits. Probably because it's hard to take any band called "the Bunnymen" seriously. :wotwot:

Also, early Devo. :whip: Their first two albums and the Hardcore Devos are delightful Krautrock-influenced post-punk outings, and would probably be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm falling in love with I'm-just-about-to-beat-your-rear end rap-rock. What's some more good stuff that's more like Rage Against the Machine, Urban Dance Squad, Quarashi, or to a lesser extent Saliva or Black Light Burns and less like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park? Focus on instrumentation would be a big plus.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

CloseFriend posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm falling in love with I'm-just-about-to-beat-your-rear end rap-rock. What's some more good stuff that's more like Rage Against the Machine, Urban Dance Squad, Quarashi, or to a lesser extent Saliva or Black Light Burns and less like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park? Focus on instrumentation would be a big plus.
Methods of Mayhem and Bloodhound Gang. :cool:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

Thanks to Way Past and the Baron for these recommendations. Jazz is a huge ocean of precarious awesome, and I couldn't find out where it was safest to dive in. I really want to get into it.

Still, to further expand my music tastes, maybe someone could suggest other things. I'm no good at defining music, so all I can say is I want horn music (Jazz, Bebop, Swing, Ska, whatever), and I like up-tempo, though that's not mandatory. Also, twangy surfer music can be cool too (Pulp Fiction Soundtrack, or Honest Bob and the Factory To Dealer Incentives are all I know, sadly). Other than that, maybe a list of the artists in my playlist will express where I'm trying to go. It's ordered from most songs to least.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Modest Mouse (You can probably ignore this one; had no idea it was this high.)
Flogging Molly (Don't recommend Dropkick :argh:)
Madness
Steroid Maximus (J.G. Thirwell)
Reel Big Fish
The Specials
Sublime
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Blues Traveler
Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Cat Empire

I also have a few compilation albums of old music (Glenn Miller Orchestra sort of old), but I haven't picked my way through them to get what I want yet. Any old suggestions are also welcome.
Fishbone are a good ska band that might be something you would like. I can't think of anything else though.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I've tried all of the 'recommend bands with similar tastes to yours' sites, but none of them help much. For six years the only band I can listen to is Dream Theater, and I'm looking to broaden my musical horizons by at least a few bands. The only band that has come close really is Redemption, but I got bored of them soon after.

I'm really not into the older progressive stuff such as Rush and Genesis, it's more of the new things. I recently got into Muse, and I wish I got into them earlier. Dream Theater recently toured with Opeth and Between the Buried and Me, and I've been checking out some of their stuff because I liked them live.

Also, it's not like I'm completely turned off from other music (Rap, pop, rock, whatever), I can listen to most other music (Aside from Country/Punk, and I hate to use the term but popular rock that's similar to Weezer) Except I can't stand having any of them in my playlist for more than a week or so.

I know this is a vague rant, but I'd just like a change from having 10 gigs of live/recorded Dream Theater and Metallica's S&M as the only things on my iPod for years.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got some great recommendations last time I asked (Bonobo and Lemonjelly), but I'm still looking for some more good instrumental, study-compatible music.

Things I listen to now: classical (usually more things like solo piano, cello, violin & cello, clarinet, rather than full orchestras), jazz (not terribly well-versed in it, some of it can be too distracting), and electronica (same situation as jazz).

Things I listen to already:
Yann Tiersen (did the soundtracks for Goodbye Lenin and Amelie, probably my favorite artist overall), Hiromi Uehara (jazz piano, has some synth tracks that I really dislike), Bonobo and Lemonjelly (Electronica? The latter has some annoying vocal samples though), Erik Satie (classical, fairly minimalist), Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (minimalist piano with some electronic noise, Sakamoto's solo stuff is hit or miss), Loop Guru (Eastern-influenced electronica), and Metamorphosis by Philip Glass (solo piano, although it can be a little repetitive).

Most minimalist stuff (Philip Glass, Brian Eno, etc) is really hit or miss with me, Sigur Ros is kind of so-so. For whatever reason, I can't stand Portishead, although sometimes Massive Attack or DJ Shadow tickles my fancy. Explosions in the Sky is too percussion-y. Vocals are a deal-breaker in pretty much every case.

Way late on this, but I'm with you on pretty much all of that stuff and lately I've been listening to the Cinematic Orchestra, specifically Man With A Movie Camera. They do electronic stuff but that album is a score they did for the old silent movie of the same name, and iirc was meant to be played live so its less produced. Also noting that you tend to like both minimal and electronica stuff, check out Sketch Show. Some vocals, but mainly instrumental. Last semester the ONLY thing I listened to while I was working was a last.fm station of Sketch Show. Some of the artists I found through that that I'd also recommend: Marc Hellner, Nitrada, Riaw Arai.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So my taste in music has been expanding in the last few months and I was hoping to get some direction from you guys. I recently found the band Pinback and instantly fell in love (thanks to someone in the last rec thread). I've also been listening to Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You, recent Deerhoof albums, Have A Nice Life, and anything Team Sleep has done (which unfortunately is a short list). Basically, I'm looking for anything that has a similar sound/aesthetic/whatever you can think of that relates these bands to each other, or perhaps that branch out further into that(those) genre(s).

As an aside, my interests have mostly contained the genres:
post-hardcore (Fall of Troy, Finch, Sound of Animals Fighting, Bear Vs. Shark, Rx Bandits, mewithoutYou)
math rock (Don Caballero, Tera Melos, anything Zach Hill related)
post-rock or metal (Russian Circles, Yndi Halda, Mogwai, Samuel Jackson Five, Pax Cecilia)
and other stuff I don't really classify like Deftones, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Edison Glass, 65daysofstatic

I feel like I'm leaning more and more towards shoegaze but I've tried listening to the classic recommendations from the last thread for the genre (or trip-hop I guess) like MBV, Slowdive, Morcheeba, etc. but they don't really do much for me. Should I just try to dive into this stuff head-on and listen to it until I "get" it, or am I completely off the mark with the bands I listed?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Hooplah posted:

So my taste in music has been expanding in the last few months and I was hoping to get some direction from you guys. I recently found the band Pinback and instantly fell in love (thanks to someone in the last rec thread). I've also been listening to Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You, recent Deerhoof albums, Have A Nice Life, and anything Team Sleep has done (which unfortunately is a short list). Basically, I'm looking for anything that has a similar sound/aesthetic/whatever you can think of that relates these bands to each other, or perhaps that branch out further into that(those) genre(s).

As an aside, my interests have mostly contained the genres:
post-hardcore (Fall of Troy, Finch, Sound of Animals Fighting, Bear Vs. Shark, Rx Bandits, mewithoutYou)
math rock (Don Caballero, Tera Melos, anything Zach Hill related)
post-rock or metal (Russian Circles, Yndi Halda, Mogwai, Samuel Jackson Five, Pax Cecilia)
and other stuff I don't really classify like Deftones, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Edison Glass, 65daysofstatic

I feel like I'm leaning more and more towards shoegaze but I've tried listening to the classic recommendations from the last thread for the genre (or trip-hop I guess) like MBV, Slowdive, Morcheeba, etc. but they don't really do much for me. Should I just try to dive into this stuff head-on and listen to it until I "get" it, or am I completely off the mark with the bands I listed?

Try Dredg, Mutemath, Dance Gavin Dance and if you like Coheed, try Claduio's side project "Prize Fighter Inferno"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Jesus, you guys really recommended some good stuff. I thank you, but my bank balance is going to hate your guts.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

RoryGilmore posted:

Dream Theater

Have you tried other prog metal? You really should look at both Pain of Salvation's work and Devin Townsend's work as a solo artist and in Strapping Young Lad since those are the two bands that hooked me when all I listened to was Dream Theater. Really check out the albums Remedy Lane and the Perfect Element Pt.1 by PoS, and Devin Townsend's Synchestra and SYL's City and Alien. Apart from them there's leagues of decent progressive metal out there, Everygrey, Deadsoul Tribe, Shadow Gallery, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Spiral Architect.

I don't know, are you looking to branch into other genres of metal, delve into progressive metal, delve into other genres of music?

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Gang of Four and A Certain Ratio are good dance-focused post-punk; kind of like Public Image or Killing Joke, but more funky. Entertainment! is usually considered as central to post-punk as any of Joy Division's albums.

Echo & the Bunnymen are fantastic, though they're a touch lighter than the bands you named. For some reason it seems like they're mostly ignored by after-the-fact post-punk fans (e.g. hipster teenagers like myself), even though they're one of the more successful post-punk outfits. Probably because it's hard to take any band called "the Bunnymen" seriously. :wotwot:

Also, early Devo. :whip: Their first two albums and the Hardcore Devos are delightful Krautrock-influenced post-punk outings, and would probably be right up your alley.

I am very well aware of Gang of Four, and Devo are probably one of my favorite bands ever, and I have pretty much everything they've ever done (including bootlegged demos), but I've never heard any Certain Ratio or much Echo outside of KIlling Moon and Lips like Sugar. I'll give 'em both a chance. Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Diligent Deadite posted:

Jesus, you guys really recommended some good stuff. I thank you, but my bank balance is going to hate your guts.

What are you going to get?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

dgt posted:

I am very well aware of Gang of Four, and Devo are probably one of my favorite bands ever, and I have pretty much everything they've ever done (including bootlegged demos), but I've never heard any Certain Ratio or much Echo outside of KIlling Moon and Lips like Sugar. I'll give 'em both a chance. Thanks!

Also try Josef K, they seem to be your sort of thing if you like Magazine.

If you can get into the funkier side of post-punk, try: The Au Pairs, Delta 5, The Slits, Bush Tetras, Liquid Liquid and The Pop Group.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Dgt - if you want quality post-punk, read Simon Reynolds' book "Rip It Up And Start Again". It's a whole book about that sort of music, from Public Image in 1978 through to New Pop and Frankie Goes To Hollywood in 1984. It's really interesting.

EpicHero
Sep 9, 2006
Could any avid The Cure fan point me in the direction of an album of theirs that sounds the most like their single Gone? I really love the jazzy undertones and overall sound of of the track, but can't find it replicated in an album as a whole (I haven't searched very much, admittedly)

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Trying once more for the new thread:

I'm looking for music like the first 90 seconds of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_EGqAgRSg

Google tells me that part is done by Howard Helm, who started in the 70s with Zon, now is in Cryptic Vision, and does a lot of keyboard work for various bands. Still, I'd like to find some small acoustic / instrumental stuff like that. Piano for metal fans.

Savatage has some nice slow acoustic tracks, but the stuff I'm hoping to find is more aggressive.

bonnemenagere posted:

Grouper Dragging a Dead Deer up a Hill: This is extremely reverbed out, slow and thick. You can't hear anything she says but the density of it is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkANP6xnVgs
Sweet. I think I heard this song on GBSFM once upon a time but I couldn't get back to the playlist to see who it was. Thanks.

RoryGilmore posted:

I know this is a vague rant, but I'd just like a change from having 10 gigs of live/recorded Dream Theater and Metallica's S&M as the only things on my iPod for years.
I'll give you a few maybes. I listen to a few of each band's tracks like I listened to S&M.
Apocalyptica
The Gathering
Pelican
Within Temptation

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Technetium posted:

I don't know, are you looking to branch into other genres of metal, delve into progressive metal, delve into other genres of music?

Other genres of progressive metal specifically, but I wouldn't mind more overall genres either. I'll check out your bands, thanks.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

RoryGilmore posted:

Other genres of progressive metal specifically, but I wouldn't mind more overall genres either. I'll check out your bands, thanks.

One more band I forgot was Ayreon, that was the other band that got me started onto bigger things, namely their album The Human Equation. Honestly just find bands in the progressive metal genre (through wikipedia, last.fm, metal-archives, whatever) and throw a dart at the screen of band names and there'll be a 50/50 chance it's a Dream Theater clone or something else. If you find a band check them out on metal-archives to see what kinds of reviews they're getting. You can also look at progressive death metal, progressive black metal and avant-garde metal for even more variety, like Edge of Sanity, Enslaved and maudlin of the Well.

Also you say you don't like the earlier progressive stuff (by which I'm guessing you just mean Progressive Rock) and you list Genesis, which was the band I mistakenly first tried to listen when trying to listen to prog rock. Have you tried King Crimson? Their albums The Court of the Crimson King and Red are classics and have a good amount of metal influence (especially on Red). Their newest album The Power To Believe has some almost full-out metal songs on it. You would probably get a lot out of the Psychedelic/Progressive/Krautrock thread that's around here somewhere if you wanted to look at prog-rock.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 7, 2009

pacslash
Feb 13, 2005
Don't think.

Magnetic North posted:

Still, to further expand my music tastes, maybe someone could suggest other things. I'm no good at defining music, so all I can say is I want horn music (Jazz, Bebop, Swing, Ska, whatever), and I like up-tempo, though that's not mandatory. Also, twangy surfer music can be cool too (Pulp Fiction Soundtrack, or Honest Bob and the Factory To Dealer Incentives are all I know, sadly). Other than that, maybe a list of the artists in my playlist will express where I'm trying to go. It's ordered from most songs to least.

Any old suggestions are also welcome.

Give The Tom Fun Orchestra a try. Might be a little off, but it certainly has horns, twangy guitar, and some up-beat stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bVhWCPz9Y

Edit: as much as I hate Myspace, there seems to be some streaming tracks: http://www.myspace.com/tomfunorchestra.

pacslash fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 8, 2009

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the best Okkervil River album? I want to pick one up today but id dont know which one to get.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7yjIswZMQ

The keyboards are minimal but it's sung by a female, sad, beautiful, and very melodic, so you might like it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Another one that doesn't feature keyboards but is a melancholy song with a female singer:

Anouk - Tom Waits

Also, it rules.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Captain Cool posted:

Trying once more for the new thread:

I'm looking for music like the first 90 seconds of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_EGqAgRSg

Google tells me that part is done by Howard Helm, who started in the 70s with Zon, now is in Cryptic Vision, and does a lot of keyboard work for various bands. Still, I'd like to find some small acoustic / instrumental stuff like that. Piano for metal fans.

I'm not too sure on this one, but Kamelot might be what you're looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F88G4itQyds

Anathema, which was mentioned a few posts up from mine, does some great acoustic stuff with metal influence as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBZH6L5btQ

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

NESguerilla posted:

What is the best Okkervil River album? I want to pick one up today but id dont know which one to get.

I'd go for either Black Sheep Boy or The Stage Names, with BSB being a bit more indie than TSN. All of their albums are fantastic (particularly the newest one, The Stand Ins) but these two are the most consistently awesome of the lot.

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
Need similar bands like
The Knife (mainly these guys)
Crystal Castles
Boys Noize
Black Kids

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

bumpizza posted:

If anyone has heard DJ Spooky's Songs of a Dead Dreamer, I'd like another ambient album that I can just trip out to that encompasses a lot of emotions. I've already heard Selected Ambient Works before, but I think that Songs of a Dead Dreamer is less minimalistic and repetitive and I like that.

Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities, Lifeforms and ISDN.
Amon Tobin - Out From Out Where.
Broadway Project - Compassion
Coil - Loves Secret Domain, The Ape of Naples

DJ Q-Berts - Wave Twisters

and

Mix Master Mike's - Anti Theft Device - are both fun to trip out to if you like scratching.

is 5
Aug 2, 2007

i've been listening to alcest's Souvenirs d'un autre monde and i've been loving it. as someone with well-below entry level knowledge of metal of all sorts, is there more music similar to this? digging around on last.fm, the "similar artists" either lean too much towards black metal or towards boring post-rock. Is it just that last.fm isn't too helpful in this case or am I simply trying too hard to find shoegaze in a scene that im completely unfamiliar with?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want some recommendations for more of the smooth samba and bossa instrumental stuff like in this link

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

is 5 posted:

i've been listening to alcest's Souvenirs d'un autre monde and i've been loving it. as someone with well-below entry level knowledge of metal of all sorts, is there more music similar to this? digging around on last.fm, the "similar artists" either lean too much towards black metal or towards boring post-rock. Is it just that last.fm isn't too helpful in this case or am I simply trying too hard to find shoegaze in a scene that im completely unfamiliar with?

Jesu, at least their later stuff like Silver, is the closest thing I've found to them in the realm of metal-influenced shoegaze bands. It's not a very common thing and I ended up checking out the shoegaze genre in general and found it to be awesome. You might also want to try Krallice's self-titled and Enslaved's newest.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Try Dredg, Mutemath, Dance Gavin Dance and if you like Coheed, try Claduio's side project "Prize Fighter Inferno"

I already listen to Dredg and PFI, actually. The other two bands weren't quite what I was looking for, but I'm really surprised I've never heard of Dance Gavin Dance because they're pretty drat good. Thanks a bunch for them :)

So basically my request still stands, if anyone else is interested in helping me out it'd be great.

Jewbert Jewstein
Dec 4, 2007

Bring me a hard copy of the Internet so I can do some serious surfing
I love playing instrumental alternative, blues, or even folksy guitar songs. I've played a good bit of Don Ross and I'd like to branch out a little.

It's great to listen to, but even better to play, so an added bonus would be available guitar tabs on the songs you recommend.

cheeseboy
Jun 17, 2005

cheeeeeeese
I've recently grown to like what I can only describe as drone-ish punk rock. Bands like No-Age or Boris are kind of what I'm talking about. I'm not really interested anything too metal or heavy though. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

cheeseboy posted:

I've recently grown to like what I can only describe as drone-ish punk rock. Bands like No-Age or Boris are kind of what I'm talking about. I'm not really interested anything too metal or heavy though. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that?

Check out HEALTH. And I know you said you don't want metally but Sunn O)))) isn't really any more heavy than Boris and they're good, their new stuff is hardly metal-sounding at all, just really droney

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

sunn O))) is kind of hard to get into. I'd recommend Earth instead. They were a major influence on both Boris and sunn O))) and their output is more varied than sunn O))) but not quite as diverse as Boris. Another major influence on Boris, the Melvins, alternate between short songs and long droning ones. Here's the Melvins song Boris is named after.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I've recently got into mashups of all sorts and have gone on a downloading spree, listening to a lot of good poo poo and well, a lot of poo poo. Some of my favorites so far include Girl Talk's two albums, American Edit, Jay-Zeezer, The Grey Album and Redd Blood Cells (White Blood Cells + bass). Any major works that I'm missing?

sants
May 17, 2003

free beavis

signalnoise posted:

I want some recommendations for more of the smooth samba and bossa instrumental stuff like in this link

you might like some of Chick Corea's stuff as long as he doesn't get too avant-garde for your tastes, he's at his most mainstream when he's with his Elektric Band or Return to Forever. with these groups it's usually jazz fusion but it has lots of latin influences.

here he is live on keytar playing his original chart Got A Match?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHOSUEPsKFk

also here's probably his most famous composition, Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huIcAdTbMbM

Jewbert Jewstein
Dec 4, 2007

Bring me a hard copy of the Internet so I can do some serious surfing
I've got another request which is slightly stranger... I was watching Ratatouille and the song Le Festin came on. I was wondering to myself if there's anything else out there like this. In French, not just the style of music.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Are there any other bands that can pull off a blues-rock-jazz vibe like Gov't Mule does? Despite listening to every album that I can, live and studio, I can never get enough.

I'm also up for knowing other blues artists similar to Bernard Allison. I really like the more modern, rocking sound he pulls off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivex
Feb 12, 2007

Hey, I've got an idea... and it doesn't involve high explosives!
I'm looking for music similar to Explosions In The Sky
So far I've found mogwai, and appleseed cast. Anything else?

I'm also looking for stoner metal, such as Kyuss. Anything more modern/psycadelic?

I'm not huge on hiphop, but I love Gang Starr [particularly above the clouds]
Anything similar to that? I really like hiphop with deep insightful lyrics and rhythms that use obscure instruments or take on foreign themes (eg above the clouds having a japanese styled backdrop)

Cheers