Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baked Bads
May 12, 2008

ArgaWarga posted:

I'm looking for alt-country. I'm currently in love with Blitzen Trapper–I started loving them because they sounded like Pavement on Wild Mountain Nation, but I'll be damned if they didn't win me over with some of their more country-ish songs.

Examples:
Wild Mountain Nation on You Tube.
Their first Daytrotter Session. I particularly like Jericho.
Another Daytrotter session. I'm looking for stuff no more twangy than Stolen Shoes.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. And if anyone likes Fleet Foxes and hasn't checked out Blitzen Trapper yet, get off your rear end and listen to the Daytrotter stuff.

I took a look at Blitzen Trapper, and I have to say not bad. Not bad at all. I would recommend checking out The Glaciers. A fine outfit out of New York that have made some great stuff.

Here's their website: http://theglaciers.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivex
Feb 12, 2007

Hey, I've got an idea... and it doesn't involve high explosives!

Kivex posted:

I'm looking for music similar to Explosions In The Sky
So far I've found mogwai, and appleseed cast. Anything else?

I've just found god is an astronaut, mono, & this will destroy you. All amazing post rock bands.

Anything more psychadelic within the realms of post rock?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

is 5 posted:

i've been listening to alcest's Souvenirs d'un autre monde and i've been loving it. as someone with well-below entry level knowledge of metal of all sorts, is there more music similar to this? digging around on last.fm, the "similar artists" either lean too much towards black metal or towards boring post-rock. Is it just that last.fm isn't too helpful in this case or am I simply trying too hard to find shoegaze in a scene that im completely unfamiliar with?

That Alcest album is barely metal, it's really a shoegaze album in almost every way. If you don't mind venturing a bit more into the black metal album, Ulver's early album Bergtatt is similar in that it has elements of both genres, but it's closer to the metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyIWBCFq5Y&feature=related

There's a lot of modern stuff that comes close to that, but might as well go straight for the classics if this is all new to you.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

Ooh, sad girls with pianos are a favourite of mine. Here are a few I enjoy. Some are decently well-known, so apologies if you already have their stuff. They are also more folk-musicy than Imogen Heap.

Rachael Yamagata -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSM0v9XcWA
Her album "Happenstance" is basically all songs about heartbreak, and she plays the piano, and her voice is lovely and smoky.

Vienna Teng -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQ6vy9PB08 (live, go to 0:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJbip5Wk3_Y&feature=related
She has a beautiful voice and plays the piano and I love all of her songs. They are not usually particularly sad, though.

Missy Higgins -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WaVv874DfE
Sad, girl, piano, pretty :)

Deb Talan -
I have her solo albums, but she's now in a two-person group called "The Weepies" and I haven't gotten around to checking out their stuff. She is more "sad girl with guitar". My favourite song of hers is "Two Points" from the album "Sincerely", but I can't find it. Here's a decent cover from youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsCYY7FDW9Q

Chantal Kreviazuk -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7EI5tdaX4
She's very popular in Canada but in the States I think her music is only used in crappy romantic movies, so maybe she's not "cool" to listen to. Not that I am very cool...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Etheldreda posted:

Ooh, sad girls with pianos are a favourite of mine. Here are a few I enjoy.
Oh, that reminds me, check out Sarah Slean's album Night Bugs. It's incredible.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Looking for some American Underground or similar music to add to my collection. I've already got all the OMG MUST HAVE albums, and I'd like to know where to go from there.

Obvious last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/buttemaster

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

cheeseboy posted:

I've recently grown to like what I can only describe as drone-ish punk rock. Bands like No-Age or Boris are kind of what I'm talking about. I'm not really interested anything too metal or heavy though. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that?

The term you're looking for, I believe, is noise rock. Obvious suggestions would be Sonic Youth (EVOL, Sister and Daydream Nation), Dinosaur Jr, and The Jesus Lizard. As far as newer stuff, Titus Andronicus and Vivian Girls.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Psycho Pie posted:

Looking for some American Underground or similar music to add to my collection. I've already got all the OMG MUST HAVE albums, and I'd like to know where to go from there.

Obvious last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/buttemaster

You have "SUPER" compatibility with me, so lemme tell ya: you need some Unwound. Repetition has sort of a Cave-In/Blonde Redhead feel to it, and it's a great album to start with, but Leaves Turn Inside You is their double-disc magnum opus. Much more "progressive" and majestic in many ways. You will not be disappointed, I know because we have the same ears :)

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I've recently got into mashups of all sorts and have gone on a downloading spree, listening to a lot of good poo poo and well, a lot of poo poo. Some of my favorites so far include Girl Talk's two albums, American Edit, Jay-Zeezer, The Grey Album and Redd Blood Cells (White Blood Cells + bass). Any major works that I'm missing?

I think there is a mash up thread somewhere around here.

Get Super Mash Bros ASAP they are FAR better than Girl Talk.
Ludachrist is pretty good, it's all gangster / mainstream rap but they are loving hilarious
Outlaws too but they throw a lot of techno in between the mashes.

Everything above listed is free to download also. Just search for the thread.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Harvest Goon posted:

You have "SUPER" compatibility with me, so lemme tell ya: you need some Unwound. Repetition has sort of a Cave-In/Blonde Redhead feel to it, and it's a great album to start with, but Leaves Turn Inside You is their double-disc magnum opus. Much more "progressive" and majestic in many ways. You will not be disappointed, I know because we have the same ears :)

Rites of Spring and Nation of Ulysses as well.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

theEZkill posted:

I think there is a mash up thread somewhere around here.

Get Super Mash Bros ASAP they are FAR better than Girl Talk.
Ludachrist is pretty good, it's all gangster / mainstream rap but they are loving hilarious
Outlaws too but they throw a lot of techno in between the mashes.

Everything above listed is free to download also. Just search for the thread.

The Radio Soulwax series are the best mashups in my opinion

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

sants posted:

you might like some of Chick Corea's stuff as long as he doesn't get too avant-garde for your tastes, he's at his most mainstream when he's with his Elektric Band or Return to Forever. with these groups it's usually jazz fusion but it has lots of latin influences.

here he is live on keytar playing his original chart Got A Match?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHOSUEPsKFk

also here's probably his most famous composition, Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huIcAdTbMbM

This is not really the kind of stuff I'm looking for, jazz fusion is kind of difficult to relax with. This is about the fastest I am thinking I want to go, and with without the heavily experimental stuff in those Chick Corea songs.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 11, 2009

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
arthur verocai perhaps?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

theEZkill posted:

Need similar bands like
The Knife (mainly these guys)
Crystal Castles
Boys Noize
Black Kids

I tend to associate Four Tet and The Knife since I got into them at a similar time, but they don't sound as glitchy or electronic as Boys Noize or Crystal Castles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_POkOLy2rM

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Kivex posted:

I'm also looking for stoner metal, such as Kyuss. Anything more modern/psycadelic?

I'm not huge on hiphop, but I love Gang Starr [particularly above the clouds]
Anything similar to that? I really like hiphop with deep insightful lyrics and rhythms that use obscure instruments or take on foreign themes (eg above the clouds having a japanese styled backdrop)

Cheers

Kyuss were my favourite band for years but as a whole stoner metal is incredibly boring so good luck finding any band half as good as them. They were one of a kind.

As far as Gang Starr goes that's pretty much 100% produced by DJ Premier so you might also like the two albums he did with Jeru the Damaja, similar to Gang Starr but a little darker in theme. Also check out A Tribe Called Quest if you don't already know them, they are well known for having insightful lyrics and were one of the first groups to experiment with different instrumentation (upright bass is featured on many tracks).

Now I'm looking for a recommendation of my own that was overlooked in the last thread. I want something that sounds like Erykah Badu's first album 'Baduizm'. I've yet to find anything that blends the 90s hip-hop sound with soul/r&b so well. I especially like the lyrics and melodies on this mixed with hip-hop beats. D'Angelo is the only thing that comes close but he's not really what I'm looking for here. Badu's later work doesn't really fit the bill either.

Help please!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kivex posted:

I'm also looking for stoner metal, such as Kyuss. Anything more modern/psycadelic?

There's Sleep, whose album Holy Mountain is probably their most accessible album, then there's Dopesmoker, which consists of a single, hour-long song.

The ever popular Boris has a varied output, but Heavy Rocks is their most straight forward stoner album.

Boris' predecessors, the Melvins play more punk influenced stoner/doom. Start with Houdini.

For something more recent, there's Torche's Meanderthal, which features a more pop-like brand of stoner metal.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I apologize if this isn't the right thread but I'm trying to make a mix cd for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day. We're in a long-distance thing (although Milwaukee and Chicago are more manageable than most) with 95 miles in between us so I came up with the brilliant idea of 95 songs about distance. Of course, finding 95 songs of anything is difficult so I'm looking for suggestions. We're into the more indie stuff, and electro is good too (he has a "raver background" - his words). Some of the bands I have on there already are Ted Leo, Sufjan Stevens, Hefner, Spoon, Friendly Fires and Cut/Copy, just to give an idea.

I'm open to most suggestions.

And again, I'm sorry if this isn't allowed, I'll move it to a more appropriate thread if pointed in the right direction!

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Diligent Deadite posted:

I tend to associate Four Tet and The Knife since I got into them at a similar time, but they don't sound as glitchy or electronic as Boys Noize or Crystal Castles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_POkOLy2rM

Four Tet is awesome, well - that song you linked is. I like it. Not exactly Knifey, but quite good.

EZKill, definitely check out her solo project, Fever Ray. Some of the tracks on the album are quite good. You might, perhaps, like Pogo as well, if you like Four Tets. MGMT's song "Kids" is somewhat like The Knife's upbeat sound, just a little.

MooglyGuy
Jun 14, 2006

Angry Hudson characters make me happy
I am currently looking for any songs that are upbeat or "happy"-sounding, and would fit well for a photo / video montage. Two songs that I can think of immediately offhand that at least somewhat fit the bill are:

Young Rascals - Good Loving
BoDeans - Closer To Free

Some more specific criteria that might narrow things down is that I would really prefer that the song have a point at which all of the music and vocals stop, then pick up again after a brief pause. Good Loving fits that bill, but Closer To Free, unfortunately, does not.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MooglyGuy posted:

I am currently looking for any songs that are upbeat or "happy"-sounding, and would fit well for a photo / video montage. Two songs that I can think of immediately offhand that at least somewhat fit the bill are:

BoDeans - Closer To Free

Some more specific criteria that might narrow things down is that I would really prefer that the song have a point at which all of the music and vocals stop, then pick up again after a brief pause. Good Loving fits that bill, but Closer To Free, unfortunately, does not.

Perhaps the happiest song I know without going into bubblegum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwjXgskUN50

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

MooglyGuy posted:

BoDeans - Closer To Free

If you don't mind bizarre and occasionally dark lyrics, a lot of Of Montreal songs meet those criteria though a few good ones I can think of off the top of my head are Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider, Heimsdalgate Like A Promethean Curse and Id Engager

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know it isn't "cool" in NMD, but I'm a big fan of swing (especially the late '90s revival), ska (I even played sax in a ska-punk band in the late '90s), surf, and rockabilly. I like several of the bands you listed, and hopefully you'll like some of these:

First off, thanks for the metric fuckton of suggestions, Lou. That will take me some time to sift through. Bitter:Sweet and Hepcat have some potential, but I had a question about this suggestion:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

you like Steroid Maximus, so I implore you to try their first two albums, Dummy and Portishead)

I was specifically interested in this suggestion because I wasn't sure anyone would have heard of Steroid Maximus. So I listened to Portishead, and it's trippy and interesting. It's certainly music I won't tune away from, but something tells me we're listening to Steroid Maximus for different reasons.

It made me curious as to what you like from them. I'd say L'Espion qui a Pleure & Tarmac a Gris-Gris from Ectopia and Life In The Greenhouse Effect and Powerhouse! from Gondwanaland. (Though Third Movement: Crawling Goliath gets bonus points for creepiness). Knowing that, and since you seem to have a good grasp on this type of music, would that alter your suggestions?

pacslash posted:

Give The Tom Fun Orchestra a try.

Thanks! These guys might fit right in, though not being on Pandora is annoying. Maybe I need to do Last.fm as well.

bowmore posted:

Fishbone

Thanks! I don't have anything specific to say about them yet, but I did want to thank you for helping out.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I'd like to get some loungy, semi-upbeat jazz, maybe with a 70's kinda feel to it. The kind that makes you feel good, but in a pretty relaxed kinda way. I wish I could add more but I'm not really sure how to describe it. Oh, no vocals, or at least minimal vocals.

Now that I think about it, the album End of the World Party by Medeski Martin & Wood is in the right vein although it's probably a bit more upbeat and non-traditional/odd than I'm thinking.

Elder fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 13, 2009

MooglyGuy
Jun 14, 2006

Angry Hudson characters make me happy

signalnoise posted:

Perhaps the happiest song I know without going into bubblegum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwjXgskUN50

The lyrics are pretty happy, true. The tempo isn't quite as fast as I'm looking for, though.

Another good example of what I'm looking for came up on my iPod this morning on the way to work, The Ramones' cover of I Don't Want To Grow Up. I'd post a YouTube link, but the only example of it is too loud and clips so badly you can barely hear the music.

Elder posted:

I'd like to get some loungy, semi-upbeat jazz, maybe with a 70's kinda feel to it. The kind that makes you feel good, but in a pretty relaxed kinda way. I wish I could add more but I'm not really sure how to describe it. Oh, no vocals, or at least minimal vocals.

Now that I think about it, the album End of the World Party by Medeski Martin & Wood is in the right vein although it's probably a bit more upbeat and non-traditional/odd than I'm thinking.

Have you tried Fourplay yet?

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

MooglyGuy posted:

BoDeans - Closer To Free

I've always wanted to do a montage to The Zombies' This Will Be Our Year

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

Try Mandalay, it's basically all you described.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

MooglyGuy posted:

BoDeans - Closer To Free

I believe "Come up and see me" by Cockney Rebel is exactly what you're looking for. Its famous enough that people will recognize it when they hear it as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBw4YuBylvs

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

I've really been getting into instrumental tracks from the likes of Blockhead and DJ Shadow so if anyone had any suggestions for anything similar to those, that'd be pretty cool :)

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

MooglyGuy posted:

Have you tried Fourplay yet?

Never heard of them, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Derised posted:

I've really been getting into instrumental tracks from the likes of Blockhead and DJ Shadow so if anyone had any suggestions for anything similar to those, that'd be pretty cool :)

Try MF Doom's Special Herbs series, they come in a bunch of volumes, or a couple long songs.

also most RJD2 is in the same vein.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Derised posted:

As for DJ Shadow, try UNKLE's first album, Psyence Fiction, Shadow was a part of UNKLE back then, which one can clearly hear. Not the same type of music as his solo stuff, but I love it.

Also try DJ Krush, and as another poster suggested, RJD2.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Derised posted:

A bit of a far cry, but if you enjoy RJD2 (which was recommended) check out Massive Attack's album Blue Lines.

quote:

I'm not huge on hiphop, but I love Gang Starr [particularly above the clouds]
Anything similar to that? I really like hiphop with deep insightful lyrics and rhythms that use obscure instruments or take on foreign themes (eg above the clouds having a japanese styled backdrop)

Give these albums a listen:
Illmatic by Nas
Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest
Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
Game Theory by The Roots
Things Fall Apart by The Roots

Edit: Wu Tang Clan

I could come up with a lot more deep/insightful hip-hop but I'm having a hard time recalling bands that use obscure instruments. In fact I doubt some of those fit the bill, but you should check them out anyways.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 17, 2009

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.
I recently purchased the Smithsonian Classic African American Gospel album and am particularly enamored of the recordings of church choirs rather than the more blues-y or soul tracks.

Has anyone got any recommendations on where to get more church recordings of gospel and spiritual music?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm going through a flamboyant dance music phase and I was wondering if their are any other bands like Of Montreal, Hercules and Love Affair, and a little Hot Chip.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
^^ tried LCD Soundsystem?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Derised posted:

He was recommended a few posts up but I want to put a point on DJ Krush being essential to check out here. My favorite album of his is Zen and I think that's a good starting point as well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

etard knievel posted:

Banco De Gaia, DJ Cheb i Sabbah, Afro Celt Sound System, Thievery Corporation

I got a chance to listen to some of them, and they are excellent recommendations, thanks. :)

Re-posting this:

Black Griffon posted:

I just heard Bedouin Love Song by David Broza on SkyFM, and it's one of the coolest songs I've heard in a while (...) can anyone figure out what album that rendition is from? Neither me nor the YouTube uploader seems to be able to.

And posting a new request that's hard to find anything on:
I'm looking for fast-paced spanish guitar type music like the Ace Combat Zero theme or the middle of Neal Morse's The Conflict (can't find a sample on youtube, so I guess you're lost unless you've heard it). Basically the energetic kind, not the melancholic stuff. Accompaniment, like in the Ace Combat Zero theme, is a great bonus.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking for some more explicitly-political soul music along the same lines as Gil Scott-Heron(who is amazing and I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before) and Bobby Womack, or some political electro or older hip-hop such as The Message. Basically any artist that frequently discussed the problems that were present in American cities during the 70's and 80's.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Jive One posted:

I'm looking for some more explicitly-political soul music along the same lines as Gil Scott-Heron(who is amazing and I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before) and Bobby Womack, or some political electro or older hip-hop such as The Message. Basically any artist that frequently discussed the problems that were present in American cities during the 70's and 80's.

There is tons of this stuff, most of the black artists of the late 60s and early 70s have at least a few songs dealing with these themes.

A few albums that deal primarily with this sort of stuff:

several of curtis mayfield's solo albums and albums with the impressions
donny hathaway - live
marvin gaye - whats going on

Also you can skim through the "rare grooves" thread in phiz to find a bunch of songs with these themes.

e- and no need to limited yourself to the united states- see also fela kuti and others all over the world

plogo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Jive One posted:

Sly and the Family Stone's albums Life, There's a Riot Goin' On, and Fresh, especially the last two.

Gil Scott-Heron is realllly badass though. As far as overt politics goes, you probably won't beat him (but what do I know).