Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.
A few weeks ago I had my whole collection on shuffle while doing some work (writing stuff) when Postal Service came on. I personally think they're just alright and don't listen to them that often, but I played through their one-and-only CD and it synced up with my work in such a way that I was really in the zone. Since then, whenever I do creative work I pop on that CD and groove and do some great work.

After so many album repeats, though, it's wearing on me but I'm craving something with a similar sound/tempo so I can continue my zen-like work trance. Any suggestions? It's just ambient enough, and just the right speed to be my work soul mate (at least for the moment).

Thanks.

Edit: I did check allmusic, but wasn't feeling their suggestions. Maybe Postal Service is a zen fluke.

Peglegington fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Can anyone recommend me some good Bossa Nova. I've really enjoyed listening to Nouvelle Vague, which I guess is bossa nova lite. Anyone know of anything similar I should be looking into?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Virtual Russian posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Bossa Nova. I've really enjoyed listening to Nouvelle Vague, which I guess is bossa nova lite. Anyone know of anything similar I should be looking into?

In my searches for good bossa or bossa-inspired stuff I have found Brazil to be a good place to start

Joao Gilberto (w/ Stan Getz and/or Astrud Gilberto)
Bebel Gilberto
Marcos Valle
Rosa Passos
Sabrina Malheiros

And when you're done with that, as far as I can tell bossa nova is still going in Japan, here's a bossa version of September done by Nilo Koizumi.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Virtual Russian posted:

My knowledge on this genre is not extensive, but I have enjoyed certain albums from the Pat Metheny Group which have a strong Bossa Nova flair. Pat is apparently quite a big fan of Brazilian music in general, and I think he does it justice. Still Life (Talking) is one PMG album that bears looking into.

bumpizza
Feb 11, 2006

Jive One posted:

I'm looking for some more explicitly-political soul music along the same lines as Gil Scott-Heron(who is amazing and I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before) and Bobby Womack, or some political electro or older hip-hop such as The Message. Basically any artist that frequently discussed the problems that were present in American cities during the 70's and 80's.

This one is my favorite, "Is This The Future" by the Fatback Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgUEredXCOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nr8Q_JDksE

Marvin Gaye is an obvious suggestion, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BA6fFGMjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmT0k3xcqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDckI2P_DPA

Some old-school hip hop about stopping violence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yo0B3kn1YI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWxztZs_atM

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok so I was in the middle of a 6 hour drive last night when I flipped to a station that had "space" music playing. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Do any of you listen to that sort of slow, electronic music? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

Lately I've been enjoying hardcore punk bands Flipper and Reagan Youth. I've heard a lot of the popular bands in this genre, but these were the only two that I really enjoyed. Can anyone recommend bands similar to them, preferably on the more obscure side of the hardcore punk spectrum?

bumpizza
Feb 11, 2006
For people who like dance music, I want some 80's disco along the lines of Larry Levan's remixes.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok so I was in the middle of a 6 hour drive last night when I flipped to a station that had "space" music playing. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Do any of you listen to that sort of slow, electronic music? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

You probably came across the Hearts of Space show. I'm still pissed at my local public radio station for dumping this and other music shows to make room for more talk radio. But anyway, some recommendations:

Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return and Structures From Silence are his two classic albums.

Brian Eno - most albums from his ambient era. You should hear the entire Ambient series eventually, but the first two are the most immediately essential in my opinion. Also of note are The Pearl (with Harold Budd) and Apollo.

Harold Budd - In addition to the albums with Harold Budd mentioned above, you should definitely look into his solo work as well. My top picks are La Bella Vista, Avalon Sutra and The White Arcades.

Thom Brennan - Not as well known as the two other names here so far. He was a contemporary of Steve Roach but never achieved the same level of acclaim as him since he was significantly less prolific in his output. He's been busier lately though, making new music and reissuing old stuff that was only pressed in very limited runs on CD-R or cassett. I'd start with the album Silver.

Those guys should get you started on "classic" ambient/space music, but there's a ton more stuff out there. If you think you want to explore this genre further, consider purchasing a plan at the Hearts of Space site and listening to some old shows. And if you don't want to do that, just taking a look at their playlists for shows that sound interesting to you will always yield some good tips.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Cyne posted:

You probably came across the Hearts of Space show.

You are 100% correct- and thanks for the recommendations I will definitely give those a listen.

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

Have you heard Kate Havnevik? http://www.myspace.com/katehavnevik Melankton, her first album, floats somewhere between Björk and Imogen Heap.

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

These two have more of a Mazzy Star flavour, however...
Castlemusic is amazing. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=146738532
PICA PICA (pie-kah pie-kah) is another great one. http://www.myspace.com/picapicamusic

scumble
Dec 10, 2005

It's Fozzie Bear, not fuzzy bear.

Peglegington posted:

A few weeks ago I had my whole collection on shuffle while doing some work (writing stuff) when Postal Service came on. I personally think they're just alright and don't listen to them that often, but I played through their one-and-only CD and it synced up with my work in such a way that I was really in the zone. Since then, whenever I do creative work I pop on that CD and groove and do some great work.

After so many album repeats, though, it's wearing on me but I'm craving something with a similar sound/tempo so I can continue my zen-like work trance. Any suggestions? It's just ambient enough, and just the right speed to be my work soul mate (at least for the moment).

Thanks.

Edit: I did check allmusic, but wasn't feeling their suggestions. Maybe Postal Service is a zen fluke.

The easiest thing to tell you is Dntel, which is the main project of one-half of the Postal Service (Jimmy Tamborello, I think? Probably spelled his name wrong). Ben Gibbard sticks to non-electronic stuff normally, so you probably won't want to follow him. I actually think there's a new album on the way, and at least two or three older ones you could get into. It's pretty much the same kind of thing- he makes the music and beats and gets a guest artist to do the vocals for each track.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Pyramid Head posted:

Lately I've been enjoying hardcore punk bands Flipper and Reagan Youth. I've heard a lot of the popular bands in this genre, but these were the only two that I really enjoyed. Can anyone recommend bands similar to them, preferably on the more obscure side of the hardcore punk spectrum?

Swans are like Flipper but even more dirgey and depressing, if that's a direction you'd like to go in.

Otherwise, try Austin, Texas-based hardcore bands Big Boys, The Dicks, and MDC. Scratch Acid isn't a typical punk band, but they make great "horror-rock" music, is about the best way I can describe it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

signalnoise posted:

In my searches for good bossa or bossa-inspired stuff I have found Brazil to be a good place to start

Ahahah, no loving way?

Some classics:

Elizeth Cardoso: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFQ_C28Y1k&feature=related
Elis Regina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqI5R6L7ow
Elza Soares: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhNmfSZqRA
Nara Leão: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ-UJckeZMo
Claudette Soares: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkiDtv3Lxw

dunno much about modern stuff, but CéU is divine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yq_p7QtHdY

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

HAI posted:

Ahahah, no loving way?

I know man poo poo is crazy

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks goons, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Hopefully I can track some of this stuff down now. Poor wallet...

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.

scumble posted:

The easiest thing to tell you is Dntel, which is the main project of one-half of the Postal Service (Jimmy Tamborello, I think? Probably spelled his name wrong). Ben Gibbard sticks to non-electronic stuff normally, so you probably won't want to follow him. I actually think there's a new album on the way, and at least two or three older ones you could get into. It's pretty much the same kind of thing- he makes the music and beats and gets a guest artist to do the vocals for each track.

Oh man thank you so much, this is great.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Peglegington posted:

Oh man thank you so much, this is great.

I suggested this in the last thread, but "Neon Golden" by Notwist is very similar to The Postal Service/Dntel.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Someone care to recommend me some bands based on these?

mewithoutyou
Mutemath
Dredg
Glassjaw
Lostprophets
Finch
Thrice

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.

OrganicRobot posted:

I suggested this in the last thread, but "Neon Golden" by Notwist is very similar to The Postal Service/Dntel.

AHHH so good, thanks.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

Peglegington posted:

Thanks.

Jimmy Tamborello also has a project Figurine. Or James Figurine, They are both him. I like those too.
55566688833 is an awesome song, so is IMpossible.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Are Figurine still around? I loved their stuff so much, much better than TPS IMO.

Actually, on that note, any recommendations for stuff like Figurine? (not including TPS)

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I like surrealist lyrics like Aesop Rock, Pig Destroyer, and Sparklehorse, and noisy, choppy music like Merzbow, Aphex Twin and The Glitch Mob.

Any interesting lyrics set to this kind of music? Especially looking for good glitch hop.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

Cyril Sneer posted:

Are Figurine still around? I loved their stuff so much, much better than TPS IMO.

Actually, on that note, any recommendations for stuff like Figurine? (not including TPS)

I'm sure it's out there, I don't really know any of it though. I do love the figurines a lot.

K recommend me something.

Lately I have been listening to

Sunny Day Real Estate
Rites of Spring
Moss Icon

Anything else in that more hardcore "emo" genre.

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters
Does anyone know anything which sounds like Darwin Chamber?

I'd imagine there's a lot out there, I just don't know who did it all

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tweaker1 posted:

I'm sure it's out there, I don't really know any of it though. I do love the figurines a lot.

K recommend me something.

Lately I have been listening to

Sunny Day Real Estate
Rites of Spring
Moss Icon

Anything else in that more hardcore "emo" genre.

Try Dag Nasty for 'Rites...' type stuff. Texas is the Reason kind of fit and maybe some Hot Water Music?

They're all in my library at Last FM if you want a look:

http://www.last.fm/user/SADDeadite/library

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.
So I just started listening to Yea Big + Kid Static, and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the way of any more upbeat, high-energy, kind of glitchy hip-hop? Fun is key.

I found out about them because of The Mae Shi, and I'd like more along those lines too. Fast, spasmodic, energetic as gently caress. I'm enjoying the more refined stuff off Hllyh most of all, though their early work is good too. I also dig The Death Set, for reference.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet
I need something similar to Au or maybe the more focused aspects of Jackie-O Motherfucker. But especially the sublime experimental minimalist carnival ramblings of Au.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bathcat posted:

I like surrealist lyrics like Aesop Rock, Pig Destroyer, and Sparklehorse, and noisy, choppy music like Merzbow, Aphex Twin and The Glitch Mob.

Any interesting lyrics set to this kind of music? Especially looking for good glitch hop.

For surrealist lyrics you could check out cLOUDDEAD, I suppose, but it's more 'dreamy' than glitchy

For harsher stuff - Dälek do some nice weird dark glitchy hip hop that you may like. My personal favourite album is 'From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots'

Also, if you want odd lyrics over some noisy noisy poo poo, check out Xiu Xiu

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Peglegington posted:

Thanks.

Telefon Tel Aviv, The Album Leaf, and Headphones all have the elctronic indie-pop feel. Some more so than others, but all worth checking out.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

plogo, Owen, bumpizza posted:

Helpful links and recommendations.

A little belated, but thanks for all of these as they were exactly what I was looking for.

On an unrelated note, is anyone knowledgable about North American tribal music, specifically Native American music that existed before any European influence? From what I can tell most recordings are of the compiliation variety and unfortunately a good many of them are "new age" type of music or at least marketed that way. What I'm really looking for are recordings that are as purely-traditional as possible, or in other words Robert Johnson as opposed to Eric Clapton if that makes sense. This may be a longshot, but are any goons here familiar with tribal music and if so, what recordings should I seek out?

Additionally, what should I look to for traditional western-American music? By that I don't mean the John Wayne cowboy-type stuff, but rather any music that was developed during the time of the Oregon Trail or California gold rush(assuming new types of music were even created).

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Does anything sound remotely like the New Squarepusher album?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jive One posted:

On an unrelated note, is anyone knowledgable about North American tribal music, specifically Native American music that existed before any European influence? From what I can tell most recordings are of the compiliation variety and unfortunately a good many of them are "new age" type of music or at least marketed that way. What I'm really looking for are recordings that are as purely-traditional as possible, or in other words Robert Johnson as opposed to Eric Clapton if that makes sense. This may be a longshot, but are any goons here familiar with tribal music and if so, what recordings should I seek out?

Your best bet is to find a label that has documented that stuff with a somewhat academical eye, something akin to what Nonesuch Explorer did throughout the world, but with a distinct focus to North America. The government might've had such projects at some point, I've lots of state-sponsored Brazilian stuff, and Finland and Canada have had similar projects in preserving traditional music. Steer clear of any stuff with a New Age vibe, and let me know if you find anything good, I'm interested too.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

Bathcat posted:

Have you tried Prefuse 73? Not all containing lyrics but some at least...

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet
Also, I'm looking for anything similar to Dirty Projectors. I like everything that Longstreth has released, including the early weird stuff. But "Rise Above" I consider a masterpiece. The music is idiosyncratic enough to where I imagine there's not much else like it, but I guess what I'm after is: the musical adventurism; the mix of soft, loud, hard, fast, slow, angry and smooth, all in one song sometimes; the crazy-good melodies and harmonies; and the weirdly affecting vocal performances that Dave is capable of.

I guess a better recommendation guideline would be: if you love Dirty Projectors as much as I do and for vaguely similar reasons, what else do you like?

Lord Eggsby
Jul 20, 2004

I hope I'm not late for Christmas!
If you are into the glitch mob, I'd check out all the brainfeeder stuff (flying lotus, samiyam, gaslamp) or nosaj thing. For aphex; venetian snares, the flashbulb, or global goon (the last of which is aphex twins room mate) On the surrealistic lyrics bit I'd definitely recommend anything by antipop consortium or sun city girls.

Anyone got any psych/folk/fun recommendations for me?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Lord Eggsby posted:

Anyone got any psych/folk/fun recommendations for me?
I know the Dodos are biggish right now if you mean it in that sort of way and if you do The Gris Gris\Greg Ashley are part of the same little family and (I think) better.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

So I'm looking for some elegant (or not) music with lots of violins or string instruments (even harps), lyrics or instrumental. I'm really not sure where to start. I'm not sure what kind of genres would have this, but I'm not just looking for classic orchestral music. Any suggestions?

m0nkeysensei
Mar 13, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Trying to find more music similar to this. The Flashbulb - Warm Hands in a Cold Fog This song is very different from others on the same CD so, i don't know where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Someone care to recommend me some bands based on these?

mewithoutyou
Mutemath
Dredg
Glassjaw
Lostprophets
Finch
Thrice

Give La Dispute a listen. Quite a bit like mewithoutyou but maybe a bit harder. Vega and Altair is a very powerful album.