Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

RoryGilmore posted:

Dream Theater

Have you tried other prog metal? You really should look at both Pain of Salvation's work and Devin Townsend's work as a solo artist and in Strapping Young Lad since those are the two bands that hooked me when all I listened to was Dream Theater. Really check out the albums Remedy Lane and the Perfect Element Pt.1 by PoS, and Devin Townsend's Synchestra and SYL's City and Alien. Apart from them there's leagues of decent progressive metal out there, Everygrey, Deadsoul Tribe, Shadow Gallery, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Spiral Architect.

I don't know, are you looking to branch into other genres of metal, delve into progressive metal, delve into other genres of music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

RoryGilmore posted:

Other genres of progressive metal specifically, but I wouldn't mind more overall genres either. I'll check out your bands, thanks.

One more band I forgot was Ayreon, that was the other band that got me started onto bigger things, namely their album The Human Equation. Honestly just find bands in the progressive metal genre (through wikipedia, last.fm, metal-archives, whatever) and throw a dart at the screen of band names and there'll be a 50/50 chance it's a Dream Theater clone or something else. If you find a band check them out on metal-archives to see what kinds of reviews they're getting. You can also look at progressive death metal, progressive black metal and avant-garde metal for even more variety, like Edge of Sanity, Enslaved and maudlin of the Well.

Also you say you don't like the earlier progressive stuff (by which I'm guessing you just mean Progressive Rock) and you list Genesis, which was the band I mistakenly first tried to listen when trying to listen to prog rock. Have you tried King Crimson? Their albums The Court of the Crimson King and Red are classics and have a good amount of metal influence (especially on Red). Their newest album The Power To Believe has some almost full-out metal songs on it. You would probably get a lot out of the Psychedelic/Progressive/Krautrock thread that's around here somewhere if you wanted to look at prog-rock.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 7, 2009

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

is 5 posted:

i've been listening to alcest's Souvenirs d'un autre monde and i've been loving it. as someone with well-below entry level knowledge of metal of all sorts, is there more music similar to this? digging around on last.fm, the "similar artists" either lean too much towards black metal or towards boring post-rock. Is it just that last.fm isn't too helpful in this case or am I simply trying too hard to find shoegaze in a scene that im completely unfamiliar with?

Jesu, at least their later stuff like Silver, is the closest thing I've found to them in the realm of metal-influenced shoegaze bands. It's not a very common thing and I ended up checking out the shoegaze genre in general and found it to be awesome. You might also want to try Krallice's self-titled and Enslaved's newest.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

thetruancybot posted:

hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

In addition to the other recs, you might enjoy some new shoegaze stuff that's been coming out, namely the bands Alcest and Jesu. The former only has one album and it's a pretty good throwback to shoegaze, nothing innovative but fun to listen to. The latter has a couple albums with the later stuff being more shoegazey than the early stuff, the Silver EP is definitely worth checking out.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

Soundtracks for the Blind by Swans is one of the most disturbing, disjointed albums I've come across. For something even more disturbing there's Nurse With Wound, or for something sprawling there's Neurosis.

Or for the one album that actually gave me chills when I listened to it at night there's Battle of Mice's only album. Still chills me a bit when I listen to it, there's something unnerving about her sweet, singsongy voice when she's whispering to you.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I love Isis. Oceanic and Panopticon are some of my all time favourite records. Who sounds like them?

Meshuggah were a bit too technical and no slow-builds. There are so many imitators to the Isis sound but who's actually good?

Neurosis, Neurosis, Neurosis. You need the albums Through Silver and Blood, and the album Given To the Rising. Isis borrowed a lot of their sound from Neurosis: the slow build-ups, harsh vocals, tribal drumming, quiet alternating with loud. They started it all.

Apart from that you need to look into anything labeled post-metal. Cult of Luna is another popular one even though I didn't like them. You can also try Pelican, Russian Circles, Giant Squid, Callisto, and especially Mouth of the Architect. Their latest album was amazing.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Been getting into noise rock recently, and so far have really enjoyed the following bands:

Big Black
Shellac
Arab on Radar
Lightning Bolt
Fugazi
Les Savy Fav
The Jesus Lizard
Boredoms
Mclusky

Any other essential noise rock bands out there that I may be overlooking?

You need Killing Joke. That's the essential noise rock you're missing.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

m0nkeysensei posted:

Looking for more angry sounding post-rock similar to 65daysofstatic.

Maybeshewill, if you're just looking for that cool glitchy post-rock stuff. Té is angry, I guess, I wouldn't really call it angry, just fast paced or aggressive. If you want angrier sounding stuff you can always branch into post-metal too with bands like Neurosis who build up into an actual angry climax.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

augustaugustaugust posted:

I'm looking for a new obsession. I need music that gives me a concept or good lyrics to think about while I'm enjoying the music, I like a bent sense of humor, I like it loud, I like texture and odd instrumentality, I like pop music that is pushing beyond the bounds of pop music. The following bands have filled this role for me at one time or another:

-Godspeed You! Black Emperor
-The loving Champs
-Jethro Tull
-Pink Floyd
-Mr. Bungle
-Tom Waits
-The Artists Forever Known as the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
-The Pogues

What a strange request.

Try Can.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

augustaugustaugust posted:

Sorry.. I'm not sure what ties all those bands together that has made them speak to me, so it seemed easier to just list them.

Can is probably a good suggestion, as the second-to-last album I bought was Faust / So Far. Thanks.

@KingCobWeb - thanks as well.

That is a great album/compilation and if you like it you should like Can.

Even if you don't like it you should like Can.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

repeating this

How does Sonata Arctica sound to you, it's extremely fast with clean vocals? Or Into Eternity? Or Kyuss? A lot of Strapping Young Lad has "harsh" vocals and I never listened to Death's last album so I'm shooting in the dark here.

For tech death try Atheist, Cynic, Quo Vadis, Gorguts and Origin.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm really into the whole Irish/Scottish rock thing. Bands along the lines of Flogging Molly, The Pogues, Flatfoot 56, Black 47, The Real McKenzies, and Blood or Whiskey. Any other bands along this genre that I'm missing?

Early Great Big Sea maybe?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Spermando posted:

Also, can anyone recommend artists similar to Foetus/Steroid Maximus? The ones Last.fm suggests are mostly industrial, but I'm looking for something more pop-ish, sample-heavy, and with a sense of humor.

Foetus isn't very "pop-ish"? Whats your thoughts on the Young Gods albums L'eau Rouge and T.V. Sky?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Poop Delicatessen posted:

I'm looking for some good experimental rock, the weirder the better. Recently, one of my brothers hooked me up with some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and I'm looking for anything remotely similar.

Well I figured someone else would recommend them, but you need to get some stuff by The Residents. Absolutely essential experimental rock, people usually say start with The Commercial Album which is many short songs made to be advertisement jingles. Personally I like Third Reich n' Roll the most but either way you need to get something from them.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I'm looking for some abrasive noise rock along the lines of Big Black and "From Her to Eternity"-era Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

The Young Gods and everything the guy before me mentioned.

edit: and Boris, the albums Pink and Smile and whatnot

Technetium fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 5, 2009

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

That would require going home, putting it on my iPod and then listening to it.

Do that.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

kalensc posted:

So yeah, I'll listen to anything that's recommended, regardless of genre or artist. Thanks!

Sounds like you'd like some post-rock stuff, especially since you already listed Sigur Ros there, and if you haven't checked out their early albums do so right now. As for others, try Explosions in the Sky's All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Infinity, Mono's Hymn to the Immortal Wind, Jesu's Silver EP and while not entirely post-rock also give Alcest's Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde a go.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I need new New Wave. I love the poo poo out of Talking Heads, early Gary Numan, B-52's, Santigold, Eurythmics, and Klaus loving Nomi (seriously I have listened to his self titled album at least 30 times in the past year), but I'd like some new artists along those lines (heavy reliance on synths, odd vocals).

If you've gone any distance into looking at New Wave and haven't yet listened to Devo then you should fix that immeadiately and get their first three albums to start with: Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!; Duty Now for the Future; Freedom of Choice.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

stuff

You should try maudlin of the Well for a start at least, one of the best progressive metal bands ever, bizarre composition and all that, and really, really loving good. If you can stand some harsh vocals these guys are top notch and you should get their albums Bath and Leaving Your Body Map and give them a good listen.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Skilleddk posted:

I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.

You definitely need to check out the original shoegaze artists if you haven't, Ride's Nowhere, Lush's Split, Slowdive's Souvlaki and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless are all essentials you should at least try. You really need to listen to Jesu's other stuff as well if you like Silver, especially the stuff closest to the EP because their sound has sort of grown more to that softer side, I remember their first album being a bit harsher. They also have a new split out this year with Envy which is awesome.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Also for the Jesu shoegazy guy, I guess I forgot where Silver took place in the Jesu chronology. Heart Ache and Jesu, the EP and album before it, are both in a fairly different vein than Silver where Jesu sort of came into their own, along with the album Conquerer, which I highly recommend. Out of the rest of their work, the new EP Opiate Sun is much in the style of those two, and the new album is pretty cool but tends on more of the drone/experimental side than the other works.

As for other stuff that's not old shoegaze, Alcest or Jesu, it's sort of a wasteland, at least for that metal-influenced shoegaze stuff. Broadrick (the man behind Jesu) released an album with Aaron Turner (the guy from Isis) under the bandname Greymachine which is really cool but harsh, really on the harsh drone side. Nadja released an album this year of cover songs called When I See The Sun Always Shines on TV which is similar to Jesu but more wall-of-sound approach. Neige's (the man behind Alcest) new album with the band Amesoeurs borrows a lot from Alcest and mixes it with black metal mostly, you should give it a shot and see if it hooks you.

grazim posted:

Definitely check them out. Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are both great albums, as is My Fruit Psychobells. And apparently they just put out a reunion album earlier this year, which I was not aware of until just now. Sweet!

Edit: New album is here, free download.

Yeah, I didn't mention that because it's really not all that similar to their old albums, even though it was supposed to be written at the same time. That isn't to say the album's bad, it just didn't sound a whole lot like maudlin of the Well, much like the new album Cynic put out, it's a lot more...restrained I guess. Less heavy parts, more softer prog stuff.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2009

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Skilleddk posted:

Those are some great recommendations guys, it will take me a while to listen to it all. I've finished listening to Jesu discography, I really like the Conqueror album, but Jesu is steadily growing on me. "Friends are Evil" from that album sounds like a harsher "Sometimes" from MBV, which is what I've been looking for.

edit: Dalek seems interesting, definately going to try them. Also someone asked if I like post-rock, I haven't heard much of the genre but what I have didn't really catch my interest.

If you want post-rock you should try Godspeed You! Black Emperor's album Lift Your Skinny Fists, Sigur Ros' () and Takk... (I should've recommended Sigur Ros before), Explosions in the Sky's The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place, 65daysofstatic's The Fall of Math and Mono's Hymn to the Immortal Wind - all for general post-rockness, and for post-metalness you might enjoy Russian Circle's latest Genoa.

And to expand on what Farts Domino said...even though I mentioned Nadja and even mentioned an album, I will mention the albums he should've, mainly for Neurosis because they have about five different similar styles spread across about ten releases. The albums you should be looking at are Given to the Rising (their latest and most post-metal and softest) and Through Silver in Blood (their best). Both feature harsher vocals but if you can look past them or embrace them, it's really stunning stuff. Listen to Aeon from Through Silver in Blood, songs like that are where alot of the post-rock/metal stuff comes from.

What Isis did you listen to anyway?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Moeru posted:

When I think of progressive, I think of stuff like Radiohead, Ayreon, Dream Theater kinda stuff. At least, that's what progressive means to me. I might be off a bit but its the closest concept I can pin to it

You might enjoy The Gathering, or the Devin Townsend Project albums since they feature the singer from The Gathering, she's also appeared on a couple of Ayreon and other Arjen projects.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Torka posted:

Could I get some recommendations for bands that sound similar to Gojira? Using Last.fm but most of what it's giving me isn't nearly as heavy.

e: Already into Mastodon

Strapping Young Lad, Burst, Baroness and Meshuggah might all be up your alley.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

stairway to hippo posted:

Are there any bands out there other than Zombi who make instrumental, synth-based music that's heavily indebted to 70's horror soundtracks?

You know they're heavily indebted to it because they made them right?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

stairway to hippo posted:

What do you mean?

e: You're probably thinking about Goblin, who did some of the best soundtracks ever, in my opinion.

:doh:

Yeah ignore that, I mix the two up because they did the soundtrack for DotD and called it Zombi, which I confused with the band name. Oh well then just imagine I recommended Goblin and there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some good nautical/ocean themed albums to listen to. I don't really want any gimmicky stuff like Alestorm, but metal is fine.

Ahab's The Call of the Wretched Sea is pretty awesome if you dig funeral doom metal.