Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.
So I just started listening to Yea Big + Kid Static, and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the way of any more upbeat, high-energy, kind of glitchy hip-hop? Fun is key.

I found out about them because of The Mae Shi, and I'd like more along those lines too. Fast, spasmodic, energetic as gently caress. I'm enjoying the more refined stuff off Hllyh most of all, though their early work is good too. I also dig The Death Set, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.

Couple pages ago, but you might want to try out Emeralds. Not quite the same deal, but they're good for being pretty and repetitive in my opinion. Their recent 7", Fresh Air, has two really gorgeous tracks and manages to be a nice summation of the Emeralds feel without instantly tossing you in the deep end with their regular 10+ minute fare. I'd say that one, at the least, is worth checking out, and if it's up your alley then look for Solar Bridge.

Anyway:
I've been on a huge Lupe Fiasco kick lately, but I only really have his albums. Are his mixtapes any good? Which of them should I be checking out first?

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

winvirus posted:

Can anyone recommend some good pianists with strong vocals? Or just anything that has a great piano tune and good singing too.

You might want to try checking out Jukebox the Ghost, too!

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Can anybody recommend more bands along the lines of Sixteen Horsepower, Woven Hand, and Murder By Death? I really dig on the sort of dark traditional sound, like the apocalypse happening in the old west or whatever. Anything with a similar sound or vibe would be great. I also really enjoy Beirut, so I guess more along those lines would be fine too.

Thanks!

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Any more along the lines of They Shoot Horses Don't They??

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psD1ePsb2ls

Kind of frenetic, broken-down circus stuff. Not sure how else to describe it. There's an obvious Tom Waits influence happening but it's a little less morose and a little more strung out.

Thanks!