Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Diligent Deadite posted:

I tend to associate Four Tet and The Knife since I got into them at a similar time, but they don't sound as glitchy or electronic as Boys Noize or Crystal Castles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_POkOLy2rM

Four Tet is awesome, well - that song you linked is. I like it. Not exactly Knifey, but quite good.

EZKill, definitely check out her solo project, Fever Ray. Some of the tracks on the album are quite good. You might, perhaps, like Pogo as well, if you like Four Tets. MGMT's song "Kids" is somewhat like The Knife's upbeat sound, just a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

So I'm looking for some elegant (or not) music with lots of violins or string instruments (even harps), lyrics or instrumental. I'm really not sure where to start. I'm not sure what kind of genres would have this, but I'm not just looking for classic orchestral music. Any suggestions?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I know it's not exactly kosher to ask for artists similar to one artist here, but last.fm hasn't really been giving me any results that I like. I'm looking for someone similar to Pendulum, and when I say that, I mean I'm really looking for the heavy, pounding style of the song Slam and/or the style presented in the songs Hold Your Colour and The Other Side. I haven't been able to find anything I like yet. Any help/recs would be appreciated, even if they're from last.fm.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Very broad request, but I'm looking to get into foreign music. Mostly French, Swedish, Russian, but anything else that's foreign and also good. I realized I have very few foreign language songs in my library, and I'd definitely like more. Not Japanese, unless the suggestion is for non j-poppy.

I have a few songs by Emilie Simon (French), Kent (Swedish), Bi-2 (Russian), but that's about it. I know this is broad, so maybe just recommend your favorite bands in general?

Also, I have a bit of a thing for Franz Ferdinand. Any other artists I should check out? I have last.fm but I haven't really bothered to check them out there because I'm more looking for foreign music right now. (I realize there was a thread to post your favorite foreign bands in a while ago, but I can only find the one from earlier this year, which isn't the one I wanted to look through)

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

slowdave posted:

That is a broad request. Any specific genre, style or era of music? Less or well known?

I suppose any kind of electronic music for French, because I like a song by Fischerspooner that has French in it, and that's what reminded me to make this request. Otherwise, I like rock, metal, alternative, any kind of music. I think well-known would be better to start with, and more recent would be good as well.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I'm actually posting for a specific request this time! I recently discovered the song Bird's Eye which is a collaboration by Serj Tankian and Mike Patton, and something about this song really catches me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG92w4_aAZM

Does anyone know of any songs similar to this one? I don't really care about the vocals (if there are any) being similar to theirs in this song, but I like how the background combines strings with drums and has a vaguely Arabic?/Armenian?/Something sound to it. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Urban Wizard posted:

I'm actually posting for a specific request this time! I recently discovered the song Bird's Eye which is a collaboration by Serj Tankian and Mike Patton, and something about this song really catches me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG92w4_aAZM

Does anyone know of any songs similar to this one? I don't really care about the vocals (if there are any) being similar to theirs in this song, but I like how the background combines strings with drums and has a vaguely Arabic?/Armenian?/Something sound to it. Any ideas?

Anyone? I guess what I'm looking for is Arabian-sounding strings, or something like that. It can have vocals or not, I just need suggestions of places to start. The beat is a bit more African, so a fusion of the two would also be really nice.