Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got some great recommendations last time I asked (Bonobo and Lemonjelly), but I'm still looking for some more good instrumental, study-compatible music.

Things I listen to now: classical (usually more things like solo piano, cello, violin & cello, clarinet, rather than full orchestras), jazz (not terribly well-versed in it, some of it can be too distracting), and electronica (same situation as jazz).

Things I listen to already:
Yann Tiersen (did the soundtracks for Goodbye Lenin and Amelie, probably my favorite artist overall), Hiromi Uehara (jazz piano, has some synth tracks that I really dislike), Bonobo and Lemonjelly (Electronica? The latter has some annoying vocal samples though), Erik Satie (classical, fairly minimalist), Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (minimalist piano with some electronic noise, Sakamoto's solo stuff is hit or miss), Loop Guru (Eastern-influenced electronica), and Metamorphosis by Philip Glass (solo piano, although it can be a little repetitive).

Most minimalist stuff (Philip Glass, Brian Eno, etc) is really hit or miss with me, Sigur Ros is kind of so-so. For whatever reason, I can't stand Portishead, although sometimes Massive Attack or DJ Shadow tickles my fancy. Explosions in the Sky is too percussion-y. Vocals are a deal-breaker in pretty much every case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU