Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

JohnnyRed posted:

I'm just getting into Sludge Metal and Doom, Stoner, etc. Really into heavy, slow, blues-based riffs over hard backbeats. Stuff I'm currently playing a lot:

Sleep - Dopesmoker
Eyehategod
Electric Wizard
Earth
Asunder
High on Fire

I've heard good things about Bongzilla, and I heard the first Down record, loved em both. Please give me some more metal in this vein! I also love classic poo poo like Sabbath and Zeppelin, which is why I think I like the blues based riffs so much. Hook me up

Well first I'd recommend checking out the stoner/sludge/doom thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2512135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If you like stuff with some blues in it, maybe check out Deliverance by Corrosion of Conformity. If you're looking for sabbathy type stuff, get Heavy Rocks by Boris. OM is the band that Al Cisneros(Sleep) currently fronts and plays bass for, and it's got a similar sound to Sleep. I saw Saviours open for High on Fire and they're both pretty similar.

Really just check out that thread or ask them if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Sad Mammal posted:

The best way to describe what I'm looking for is stripped country/folk. Some examples:

Cul De Sac by Tomahawk

I Could Never Be Ashamed Of You by Hank Williams III

There are a few things that I find appealing about these, however. The main attraction I have is how "bare" the tracks are. Another thing I enjoy is that they're country/folk with something "off" with them, such as the tuning of the guitar in the former track and the distortion in both. I suppose if I had to ask for specified genres it would be "raw" country/folk and also "nightmare" country/folk. Thanks a bunch!

Deertick - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmWdnfFqhuk
Reverend Peyton and His Big drat Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDFpH-VdNQ
16 Horsepower - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIRQfzUjDBE

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

LuckySevens posted:

Need some help for my Dad, he wants to modernise his music, but his collection consists of Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, kind of classic late 70s style American rock. He was interested in Nickelback but i quickly shot down that idea, but what else can I offer him? He'd be willing to try something thats good, but I'm finding it hard to think of something thats easy to like. I'll take any suggestions, thanks.

Ryan Adams might be a good place to start. Gold or Heartbreaker are both good albums

The Avett Brothers are kinda similar, but I don't really know their catalog very well.

Jason Anderson at times sounds like early Springsteen.

I've found that a lot of the out-of-touch 70's rock fans really like alt-country stuff like Adams.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I have a question similar to CinnamonToastFunk. I already know a few of the masters, but I'm looking for more "weird" jazz and don't really know where to start. I've just been listening to a lot of Sun Ra and a lot of the more instrumental Frank Zappa stuff, and not that there's really anyone that sounds like them but any other jazz with some sort of strange edge I'd love to listen to.

EDIT: Also realized I don't know poo poo about jazz fusion outside of Weather Report and Zappa's Hot Rats album, so anything there would be cool too.

Don't know much about jazz fusion, but I've heard Mahavishnu Orchestra referred to as jazz fusion and their album Birds of Fire is pretty good.