Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I've tried all of the 'recommend bands with similar tastes to yours' sites, but none of them help much. For six years the only band I can listen to is Dream Theater, and I'm looking to broaden my musical horizons by at least a few bands. The only band that has come close really is Redemption, but I got bored of them soon after.

I'm really not into the older progressive stuff such as Rush and Genesis, it's more of the new things. I recently got into Muse, and I wish I got into them earlier. Dream Theater recently toured with Opeth and Between the Buried and Me, and I've been checking out some of their stuff because I liked them live.

Also, it's not like I'm completely turned off from other music (Rap, pop, rock, whatever), I can listen to most other music (Aside from Country/Punk, and I hate to use the term but popular rock that's similar to Weezer) Except I can't stand having any of them in my playlist for more than a week or so.

I know this is a vague rant, but I'd just like a change from having 10 gigs of live/recorded Dream Theater and Metallica's S&M as the only things on my iPod for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Technetium posted:

I don't know, are you looking to branch into other genres of metal, delve into progressive metal, delve into other genres of music?

Other genres of progressive metal specifically, but I wouldn't mind more overall genres either. I'll check out your bands, thanks.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I remember posting this a few months ago, but I need more recommendations. The ones I got were some Prog Rock bands that I couldn't get into (Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, King Crimson, Rush etc.), while I'm looking for a little heavier and faster music.

I mainly listen to long and fast songs with melodic vocals, but lots of instrumental sections and solos (If you couldn't guess, my ipod is still just mainly Dream Theater, with my favorite songs being off Images and Words/Awake/Scenes from a Memory). I don't really like purely instrumental bands, with the exception being Liquid Tension Experiment. Some other bands that I'm beginning to like but haven't really hit me that much are Redemption, Symphony X, Muse, and some Metallica.

I recently got into Bigelf which is great, and X Japan which I adore(with their song Art of Life being pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in music, save for the lead singer being a little weak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUhwNWzdIAc ).

Am I just looking for too unique a sound, or just not looking hard enough? :(

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 29, 2009