Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Dgt - if you want quality post-punk, read Simon Reynolds' book "Rip It Up And Start Again". It's a whole book about that sort of music, from Public Image in 1978 through to New Pop and Frankie Goes To Hollywood in 1984. It's really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Hennergy posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a church choral music compilation? I'm not religious, but I really like this kind of music.

Seconding this. I've been listening to a CD by a New Zealand gospel group by the name of Jubilation. Here's a clip of one of their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWpyao9oFVM

The dude doing the lead part is Rick Bryant, from the Windy City Strugglers.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jack's Flow posted:

I'm a couple of years late to the party, but I recently discovered The National and "Boxer" is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Are their other albums just as good? Also, bands similar to The National would be greatly appreciated.

Get "Alligator" (their third album) and "High Violet" (their fifth and latest album). "Boxer" is their fourth album.

Bands similar to The National? Tindersticks. They're a British band. Get their first two albums (both self-titled). If you need more direction from there, look at the All Music Guide.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Speaking of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, a better starting point would be Architecture and Morality. Dazzle Ships is a somewhat unconventional album.

Oh, and technically Depeche Mode's Violator isn't '80s music, because it was released in 1990. If you want a DM album that was actually released in the '80s, check out Music for the Masses.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

The Duke of Avon posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands from New Zealand? I prefer indie rock/pop-ish type stuff, especially with female singers, and it'd be nice if the bands were still around. It's highly unlikely that I'll have heard of anything you suggest.

I think you'd really like Goldenhorse. Check out their first two albums, Riverhead and Out Of The Moon.

Another couple of groups that fit the bill are the Brunettes and the Tokey Tones. The former group had stuff released overseas. Both groups can be found on Li'l Chief Records.

I've got a question - where can I find stuff similar to Sunn O)))'s last album, Monoliths and Dimensions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Hi, I've got another request.

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers. I've listened to some Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil, and I'm interested in bands with a similar sound to either of those two groups. I'm not interested in overly poppy or not very good stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish or Kittie, thanks.